Browns safety Sean Jones visiting tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flying Dutchman

Big whoop Ike. So the youngster has seen a few games, he's not the only one, there are several of us. I for one completely agree with the Zepster. Dawk is done as a FS. He in no way deserves the highest salary cap contract in the NFL for a S. It won't take much for Jones to match or exceed Dawk's performance of last year, which this year would have been even worse. It is even possible that we see this year end with Demps and Jones at S and Mikell as our 3rd S in run stopping formations.

Dutch.. read my above post to Zepster.. the point was obviously missed. I certainly don't think Dawk is done as a FS, but at this point it is what it is.
    Last edited by MDFAN; 03-06-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zepster

You make me feel good with the "youngster" remark. 40 is right around the corner for me, I don't think I'm in the youngster catagory anymore. I haven't missed watching or listening to an Eagles game in 20+yrs so I have watched a "few" games.
      Sorry Zepster, but I thought Ike was referring to 60's long term experience. He is just one of a couple of us 65+s who have long memories. At 40 you are a really young un. Heck I have kids your age LOL. (Somehow this software doesn't seem to bring up the poster I expect to see along with the quote. I must be reading something wrong.)
      Last edited by MDFAN; 03-06-2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Someone messed up their quote tags somewhere along the line, and it keeps getting requoted.
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ike

I could certainly see his skills diminishing, but the point to this post was to let you know that we actually watch the games. Throwing out that 'keeping your eyes open' remark is a snide comment with no value to this board.

I for one loved Dawk, and hated to see him go without an actual replacement in place. Even Jones is a ? with the one year rental.

Sorry, I don't agree with your assesment of keeping your eyes open as a snide remark. It wasn't meant that way. You may have seen his skills diminishing but apparently a lot of others could not, even when watching the games. So yes, people are watching the games but for some of them their eyes aren't open.
          Last edited by MDFAN; 03-06-2009, 11:03 PM.
          Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post

Sorry Zepster, but I thought Ike was referring to 60's long term experience. He is just one of a couple of us 65+s who have long memories. At 40 you are a really young un. Heck I have kids your age LOL. (Somehow this software doesn't seem to bring up the poster I expect to see along with the quote. I must be reading something wrong.)

Yes something is messed up with the quotes when I do it as well and I'm getting mixed up on who typed what.

Comment

• Don't know what happened but I fixed all the quotes I could, hope that helps.

Comment

Big whoop Ike. So the youngster has seen a few games, he's not the only one, there are several of us. I for one completely agree with the Zepster. Dawk is done as a FS. He in no way deserves the highest salary cap contract in the NFL for a S. It won't take much for Jones to match or exceed Dawk's performance of last year, which this year would have been even worse. It is even possible that we see this year end with Demps and Jones at S and Mikell as our 3rd S in run stopping formations.
                I'll ask you the same question my friend Dutch. Then why did they want him back? And the point of this thread was the contract offer and the fact that the Eagles wanted him to play for less and were "shocked" when he didn't. Then, they looked like fools bringing Springs in. Jones looks decent if you want to gamble that he will play better because his knee will be better. Cleveland didn't think so, and they extended their other safety instead. There certainly is room for skepticism here. BTW, this is a discussion board and that's what we're doing. It's getting up to a balmy 49 degrees today, not like the Villages I'm sure but we'll take it. Have a good one!
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

• Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  Btw just because some people don't HATE the FO doesn't mean that they agree with everything they do-- it's that same damn polarization that's rearing it's ugly head again.

Almost every time the FO does anything there is an immediate negative spin,, and the bashing begins, the name calling starts and the "who can be the most sarcastic" contests seems to begin.

And if you try and see both sides, try to apply factual data, try to understand both the business/football side and that of the fans -- well you just love the FO or you're an apologist.

The bottom line is that Dawkins is and was not treated any differently then the Eagles have treated others like him....... and they have been proven right the vast majority of the time --- so quite frankly the burden of proof that they were wrong this time falls, IMO, on those that sling the FO hatred.
                  Most people just don't trust Banner MD. You can't change that. As for treating Dawkins just like any other player, I disagree. People aren't always treated the same. You say that everyday in all walks of life. And almost every team in the NFL has a different set of rules for the QB. It's just the way it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    Most people just don't trust Banner MD. You can't change that. As for treating Dawkins just like any other player, I disagree. People aren't always treated the same. You say that everyday in all walks of life. And almost every team in the NFL has a different set of rules for the QB. It's just the way it is.
                    No, 60 I disagree.... nobody gets treated different other than position by position probably in the money arena. No team carries a guy at any position out of sentiment or emotion or goodwill for the fans.

It's a matter of valuing the asset, plain and simple. Would Mcnabb get treated different if they decided that he was going downhill and was not gonna play very well? No. His ass would have the same damn choice Dawk did, he could stay as a backup for the value they assigned or sign with somebody else or quit.

Ask Trent Dilfer how that works.

As for Banner what you or anyone else thinks of him doesn't matter (not that you can speak for anybody other than yourself) the only guy that needs to trust him is the guy that owns the team. And obviously based on actions speaking louder than words, Lurie trusts Banner implicitly.

For some reason you seem to have this sense of entitlement that Banner in some way owes you something..... he doesn't. The ONLY person he owes to is Lurie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      No, 60 I disagree.... nobody gets treated different other than position by position probably in the money arena. No team carries a guy at any position out of sentiment or emotion or goodwill for the fans.

It's a matter of valuing the asset, plain and simple. Would Mcnabb get treated different if they decided that he was going downhill and was not gonna play very well? No. His ass would have the same damn choice Dawk did, he could stay as a backup for the value they assigned or sign with somebody else or quit.

Ask Trent Dilfer how that works.

As for Banner what you or anyone else thinks of him doesn't matter (not that you can speak for anybody other than yourself) the only guy that needs to trust him is the guy that owns the team. And obviously based on actions speaking louder than words, Lurie trusts Banner implicitly.

For some reason you seem to have this sense of entitlement that Banner in some way owes you something..... he doesn't. The ONLY person he owes to is Lurie.
                      True, but I would argue that Lurie owes the people of Philadelphia and the state of Pa. quite a bit.

Comment

True, but I would argue that Lurie owes the people of Philadelphia and the state of Pa. quite a bit.
                        Guess we disagree there also.

And even if he did it has nothing to do with the running of the football team.

Just bailed out AIG--- think they want you at their next board meeting?

Comment

I'll ask you the same question my friend Dutch. Then why did they want him back? And the point of this thread was the contract offer and the fact that the Eagles wanted him to play for less and were "shocked" when he didn't. Then, they looked like fools bringing Springs in. Jones looks decent if you want to gamble that he will play better because his knee will be better. Cleveland didn't think so, and they extended their other safety instead. There certainly is room for skepticism here. BTW, this is a discussion board and that's what we're doing. It's getting up to a balmy 49 degrees today, not like the Villages I'm sure but we'll take it. Have a good one!
                          I don't agree that it was less 60. By most reports they offered him $3 mil, more than he made before, to come back and play less time and at a lower performance level than he had in his entire 13 year career. Thats not less that is overpaying. I believe they did so out of respect for his long contributions, not need to have him on the field. Their normal attitude towards a player being 30+ indicates he would be gone...thanks and goodbye. Another thought, which I missed if it has been discussed here, is that if they were to simply evaluate him on his greatly declining ability, they should just say no thanks but they knew, just as you and I do, to not offer him something would have been an unmitigated PR disaster. I think the Iggles are the good guys here. I love Dawkins, he is IMO better than all the safeties I have ever seen in that long line from Bradley to today. Still, he could not make this team on talent and potential, only on respect and gratitude. An offer, a $3 mil offer and a strong public line of "We wanted him back", along with the willingness to take him back was an outstanding honorable effort.

I am more than willing to gamble that Jones's knee will be better. Why? After his injury rookie year, he had a good real rookie season and then his first two seasons starting were as productive as any of the best S's in the NFL today. Compare him to Reed, Polamalu et al, he ranked right up there with over 100 tackles per year, 5 Ints per yr, deflections etc. This year he was injured (different knee) and missed games 2-5, came back and says his knee didn't come around until the last couple weeks. Supporting his statement is that in just the last 6 weeks he again racked up 4 Ints, indicating increased mobility. Why, absent any proof whatsoever would anyone think he would regress with more time to heal and workout? Mangini seems to be holding a firesale, dumping his best TE and WR as well while trying to revamp his whole team. Great, their loss our gain.

Time to go off with the Dutchess and enjoy some of this gorgeous 80 degree sunshine at the pool. I'll hoist a Yeungling to ya!
                          Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I don't agree that it was less 60. By most reports they offered him $3 mil, more than he made before, to come back and play less time and at a lower performance level than he had in his entire 13 year career. Thats not less that is overpaying. I believe they did so out of respect for his long contributions, not need to have him on the field. Their normal attitude towards a player being 30+ indicates he would be gone...thanks and goodbye. Another thought, which I missed if it has been discussed here, is that if they were to simply evaluate him on his greatly declining ability, they should just say no thanks but they knew, just as you and I do, to not offer him something would have been an unmitigated PR disaster. I think the Iggles are the good guys here. I love Dawkins, he is IMO better than all the safeties I have ever seen in that long line from Bradley to today. Still, he could not make this team on talent and potential, only on respect and gratitude. An offer, a $3 mil offer and a strong public line of "We wanted him back", along with the willingness to take him back was an outstanding honorable effort.

I am more than willing to gamble that Jones's knee will be better. Why? After his injury rookie year, he had a good real rookie season and then his first two seasons starting were as productive as any of the best S's in the NFL today. Compare him to Reed, Polamalu et al, he ranked right up there with over 100 tackles per year, 5 Ints per yr, deflections etc. This year he was injured (different knee) and missed games 2-5, came back and says his knee didn't come around until the last couple weeks. Supporting his statement is that in just the last 6 weeks he again racked up 4 Ints, indicating increased mobility. Why, absent any proof whatsoever would anyone think he would regress with more time to heal and workout? Mangini seems to be holding a firesale, dumping his best TE and WR as well while trying to revamp his whole team. Great, their loss our gain.

Time to go off with the Dutchess and enjoy some of this gorgeous 80 degree sunshine at the pool. I'll hoist a Yeungling to ya!

Well said!

Comment

Working...
                            X