X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCobb doesn't trust Eagles WR Coach

Is Culley The Guy To Teach Jackson?
    Written by Garry Cobb
    Will WR coach David Culley be able to develop DeSean Jackson?
    It's a legitmate question. Who has he developed during his time here with the Birds? Could he hang his hat on Freddie Mitchell or maybe Reggie Brown for guys he has developed? What does he have to show for 10 years with the staff?

He didn't have much success with Billy McMullen or Na Brown? What receiver has gotten demonstrably better during his time here? You don't have a name to put in there and neither do I.

I watched Culley work with Jackson and the rest of the receivers yesterday and I couldn't get away from that question. Does it make sense to put this guy in charge of this talented youngster?

I know he's one of Andy Reid's guys and I know he makes a lot of noise out there at practice but where are the results. I've talked about this before but I think it's time to repeat that question.

Is it a coincidence that the two receivers who have gone over 1000 yards for a season have been players, Terrell Owens and Kevin Curtis, who were groomed some where else.

Just like I said about Winston Justice yesterday, Culley has something to prove to me

Re: GCobb doesn't trust Eagles WR Coach

Cant fault Cobb for this one, I'v been asking the same question.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
      Cant fault Cobb for this one, I'v been asking the same question.
      Ditto.

I guess every squirrel eventually finds a nut.

Comment

Yep, gotta agree. I think we've all had our doubts about Culley. Or whoever has been scouting our WR's for the draft.
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Cobb is a little buffoonish on air, but the short pieces he files to the Web site are frequently on the money, IMO.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I think Jackson will be ok because he was mentored by Jerry Rice as a client for Debartolo's Sports firm.

So, how does Reid react when Jerry calls him and tells him that Culley blows?

Comment

Wait.. we actually have a WR coach?

Gary Cobb uhh.. you know... got... uh.. this right.

Comment

not that i know anything about culley, but this argument is sort of ridiculous. look at the talent that cobb mentions. freddie mitchell: he just didn't have the talent to go with the attitude; if he had just a bit of talent, he'd still be in the league somewhere despite had he gotten bad grooming from the eagles. he seriously mentioned na brown and mcmullen? really? those guys were terrible. the verdict is still out on reggie brown who had a couple decent seasons and then regressed last year.

if culley is the guy who is actually drafting these receivers, then, sure, he deserves to be criticized. but if he is just there to groom talentless hacks, then he is not the one to blame.

Comment

Culley stinks!!!!
                  I miss Philly!

Comment

Originally posted by betty
                    not that i know anything about culley, but this argument is sort of ridiculous. look at the talent that cobb mentions. freddie mitchell: he just didn't have the talent to go with the attitude; if he had just a bit of talent, he'd still be in the league somewhere despite had he gotten bad grooming from the eagles. he seriously mentioned na brown and mcmullen? really? those guys were terrible. the verdict is still out on reggie brown who had a couple decent seasons and then regressed last year.

if culley is the guy who is actually drafting these receivers, then, sure, he deserves to be criticized. but if he is just there to groom talentless hacks, then he is not the one to blame.
                    Well someone needs to be blamed. Our WRs in the past 10 years are completely unacceptable. What the hell exactly are our scouts doing?

Comment

Remember how we all absolutely killed Cobb for suggesting that Kearse was underweight and wouldn't be ready for the season? Ummmmm, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
                        Remember how we all absolutely killed Cobb for suggesting that Kearse was underweight and wouldn't be ready for the season? Ummmmm, yeah.
                        i've seen recent posts on here still mocking Cobb for having the temerity to report that Kearse was having a lot of fun, but not necessarily working hard in the offseason. despite the fact that Kearse came in last year and was underweight and stunk up the joint.
                        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Not that I am trying to defend Culley, but their are two sides to every story. How many recievers did we draft and Culley didn't develop go on to develop elsewhere? I can't remember any of them. So it begs the question are we picking the right type players who can develop into NFL wide outs?
                          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz
                            Not that I am trying to defend Culley, but their are two sides to every story. How many recievers did we draft and Culley didn't develop go on to develop elsewhere? I can't remember any of them. So it begs the question are we picking the right type players who can develop into NFL wide outs?
                            Gaffney's the only guy that comes to mind for me. He flopped with us and has had some nice clutch grabs for the Pats. It remains to be seen regarding Stallworth because he and Gaffney were so tertiary to Moss and Welker, so we'll see how he does with the Browns.

Reggie Brown is the only current Eagle who showed glimpses of being a good two but who regressed last year and THAT I attribute to Culley.

This was I predict happening- Jackson starts out slow because he's new to the pro game and he gets torched a little in the press. Then, he talks to Rice about Culley and then Rice talks about how bad Culley is and Reid is forced to defend him to the media for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by betty

Thank you....and the most talented guy the Eagles drafted RBrown HAS developed during his time here. He broke the Eagles rookie WR record and improved even more the year following. Oh I forgot, only last year counts...

Baskett has not improved? Pink did not improve? Avant has not improved? Curtis? Stall? Oh yea, free agents know everything and need no coaching, right?

The way some of these guys have been utilized is definitely a factor IMO and to hang Culley for not developing Na Brown, Mitchell, McMullen et al. is ludicrous IMO.
                              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X