• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds Hire Replacement For Chung

USA Today Images
    Eagles hire new assistant offensive line coach
    By Dave Zangaro January 31, 2019 11:30 AM

Leave a comment

The Eagles have filled one of their three vacant coaching positions, hiring Roy Istvan as their assistant offensive line coach.
    Istvan was an assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/offensive line coach for Keiser University in West Palm Beach, Florida, but has plenty of familiarity with Eagles’ offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland.

Istvan will replace Eugene Chung, whose contract expired after the 2018 season.
    As for Istvan, he was a player at Southern Connecticut State under Stoutland and then joined Stout’s staff after graduation. After his time at Southern Connecticut, Istvan went to the University of Buffalo, Milford Academy, Rhode Island and Cornell before his short stint at Keiser.
    While at Milford Academy as an offensive coordinator, Istvan coached LeSean McCoy.
    This hire comes just a couple days after the Eagles hired former Dolphins DC Matt Burke in an advisory role.
    The Eagles still have vacancies at two notable positions. They don’t have a receivers coach or a defensive line coach after parting ways with Gunter Brewer and Chris Wilson, respectively.

Bringing in someone he's familiar with sounds good, but I wonder if he does anything more than set the blocking pads in place for drills
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Could it be the Eagles are looking to make some important coaches (i.e. Schwartz & Stoutland) more comfortable by allowing them to bring their people in so they keep their roots planted here?

Comment

As long as they don't hire Gerry Siegrist for anything I don't care who they bring in!!
      Last edited by Eagle60; 01-31-2019, 03:29 PM.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Ha! Do you mean Rory Segrest?

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
          Ha! Do you mean Rory Segrest?
          Of course that's who he meant. I think I've finally decoded 60s names. He usually get's either the initials correct or one syllable from each name.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-foot....html?view=bio

Stoutland might be grooming his eventual replacement. Sounds like the guy has some talent.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Cornell’s Chaotic Pre-Practice: 10 Drills in 6 Minutes

Category: Clinic Reports: Offense
              Published: Saturday, 11 August 2018 09:07

By Roy Istvan,
              Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach,
              Cornell University (NY)
              Twitter: @coachistvan

Insiders Members: Login here to access the full-length version of this report.

Introduction:
              The first 6 minutes of practice each day is dedicated to “Position Warm-Up”. It is a combination of ballistic stretch and technique work. This time is used to continuously develop skill sets that will be used in our everyday play selections as well as ready players for practice.
              Warm-Up Details: This a simple, yet intricate progression. Here are the movements that are included:
              Drill 1: Iso Drill
              Purpose: Work flexibility in ankles, knees and hips.
              Coaching Points: Keep ankles, knees and hips all in straight line.
              Drill 2: Airplane Drill
              Purpose: Teach players how to run off the ball.
              Coaching Points: Head and shoulders over toes at the finish.
              Drill 3: Duck Walk On Air
              Purpose: Teach Duck Demeanor (insteps, posture, profile).
              Coaching Points: Play with two feet on the ground. Opposite arm moves the opposite knee.
              Drill 4: Med Ball Punch
              Purpose: Bring hands from low to high.
              Coaching Points: Learn to strike with low hips.
              Drill 5: Duck Walk to Med Ball Punch
              Purpose: How to address and strike a target on the move.
              Coaching Points: Play with two feet on the ground. Opposite arm moves the opposite knee. Learn to strike with low hips. Accelerate to contact.
              Drill 6: Skip Pull
              Purpose: Emphasis on the shuffle in a gap scheme pull.
              Coaching Points: “Stay low during shuffle, accelerate up field.”
              Drill 7: J Pull
              Purpose: Emphasize pointing the toe to the landmark and throwing the elbow.
              Coaching Points: “Let me see your nose over your toes.”
              Drill 8: Power Step
              Purpose: Practice demeanor and body tilt. The emphasis is on the Post Foot.
              Coaching Points: “Reach the lead foot, drag the trail foot.” Weight distribution should be in the opposite direction.
              Drill 9: Kick Slide
              Purpose: Practice demeanor and body tilt. The emphasis is on the Post Foot.
              Coaching Points: “Reach the lead foot, drag the trail foot.” Weight distribution should be in the opposite direction.
              Drill 10: Vertical Set
              Purpose: Practice demeanor and emphasize stagger.
              Coaching Points: “Get Shoulders Upright”

Watch the Drill Videos…
              Login to X&O Labs’ Insiders (an exclusive membership-based website) and watch all 10 of Coach Istvan’s drill videos of the above drills. If you’re not an Insiders member, don’t sweat it. Signing up is easy. Over 8,000 high school, college and NFL coaches have already joined! Get started now: go here to join the Insiders.

Conclusion:
              This position warm-up has become a valuable tool. It enhances young player technical growth and keeps older players fine-tuned. It is also a valuable time to talk with players about tips and reminders for practice. Thanks for reading and I hope this can be a help to you for this coming season.

Meet Coach Istvan: Roy Istvan is entering his 2nd season as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Cornell University. In 24 seasons as a football coach – including 22 in college football – Roy Istvan has coached several players who have gone on to the professional ranks, including Super Bowl champion Joe Andruzzi and current NFL players LeSean McCoy (Philadelphia), and Jason Foster (Tampa Bay), as well as Tony Ugoh, who retired in 2012. In six seasons at Rhode Island, Roy Istvan consistently produced the strongest offensive lines in CAA Football. Year in and year out, his units were equal parts durable and effective. In 2013, Istvan’s line started the same five players in all 12 games the Rams played. The familiarity amongst the linemen showed, as Rhode Island allowed just 16 sacks in 12 games, the second fewest in CAA Football. Only Towson, which reached the national title game, allowed fewer sacks.

Offensive Line
              Offense
              Drill Report
              Offensive Line Drills

Comment

He coached LeSean McCoy that means LeSean McCoy is coming back just kidding. Sounds like a good hire for a person who is an assistant to Stoutland. Who is one of the better o line coaches in football.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                  Of course that's who he meant. I think I've finally decoded 60s names. He usually get's either the initials correct or one syllable from each name.
                  When I first saw your post I was just glad that you were stil alive with the deadly polar vortex settleing in. Now that I know that you survived just so that you could come back on here to bust my balls I hope that a Kodiac bear gets you. 🎶
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                  X