• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a football player who gets it

Shaquil Barrett says he would have no problem being Bucs franchise player
    Mar
    3/13/2020 7:49:09 AM
    |More
    Shaquil Barrett was bobbing up and down on a boat in Tampa Bay on Thursday during his interview with NFL Network’s Total Access, but he isn’t planning to make any waves if the Bucs designate him as their franchise player, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Barrett, who led the NFL with 19.5 sacks in 2019, said he would be happy to play under the estimated $16 million to $19 million salary as a franchise player, but would prefer a long-term deal.

Either way, he said he has no plans to leave the Bucs and wants to build on the momentum established last season. “I’m expecting to still be down here in Tampa,” Barrett said.

Barring a long-term deal, the Bucs are expected to use the franchise player tag on Barrett before Monday’s deadline just before noon.

Barrett signed a one-year, $4 million contract in 2019 with the Bucs after spending five seasons with the Denver Broncos, where he recorded 14 total sacks.

“I’m going to play off the tag, I’ve got to,” Barrett said. "But I do want that long-term deal. It’s all about security for me and my family and that’s all I’ve been wanting my whole time in the NFL is getting that security."

Barrett, 27, earned a trip to the Pro Bowl and broke Warren Sapp’s club sack record of 16.5. What was the reason for his turnaround in Tampa?

“It was just the opportunity to play and get into a rhythm and not feel like I’m forcing anything,” Barrett said. “Then it was all the guys around me, our coaching staff, our inside guys, our pass rushers from the other side. Everybody worked so good together, that’s why I’m like there’s no reason for me to want to give that up and go somewhere else.”

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X