OT- kid gloves already out at Valley Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- kid gloves already out at Valley Ranch

I need to go into some sort of rehab, waiting for this guy to have a meltdown every day..........

------------------------------------------------

Aug. 2, 2006, 11:18PM

T.O., Bledsoe struggling to find rhythm

By The Associated Press
    © 2006 The Associated Press

— After the deep ball that didn't come close in a drill without defenders, the pass that was underthrown in double coverage and the one that went high, wide and out of bounds, Drew Bledsoe must have sensed frustration rising in Terrell Owens.

So the quarterback made a pre-emptive strike Wednesday morning. Soon after they went to the sideline, Bledsoe went looking for Owens, walking about 50 yards merely to give him an encouraging pat on the rear.

Such an exchange between most quarterbacks and receivers would hardly be noticed, especially during the seventh practice of training camp. However, everything that happens between this receiver and his quarterback is newsworthy.

So, T.O., is everything OK between y'all?

"Every day is a day of improvement," Owens said following the practice and a chat with coach Bill Parcells, which included technical talk about hand placement on a specific type of catch.

"If we take a step back, we go back to the drawing board and we try to correct our mistakes and build on those the next day. Every day is critical, but it's no reason to panic right now."

The early session Wednesday in Oxnard, Calif., was the second straight in which Bledsoe and Owens were out of whack.

"We're getting there," Owens said. "We're not there yet, but as I said from Day 1, this is what training camp and practice is all about. We're not going to get it done in one day, a week. The season is yet to get here. Once the season starts, I feel we'll be ready."

Owens' attitude is a good sign for the Cowboys. They've invested $10 million this season alone in Owens being on his best behavior and so far he's showed no signs of the problems that prompted San Francisco and Philadelphia to give up on him regardless of his All-Pro ability.

Owens is the only newcomer among Dallas' top four receiving threats. Bledsoe already is comfortable throwing to Terry Glenn, Jason Witten and Patrick Crayton, so part of the problem with Owens right now could be the normal feeling-out process all quarterbacks and receivers must go through.

"That's what those drills are for, No. 1 to get our timing down and obviously for me to get some balls in my hands so I can get familiar with his touch," Owens said.

Parcells wouldn't elaborate on his talk with Owens, but the receiver called it "a good conversation."

"At this point, we're just trying to take it day-by-day, camp practice-by-camp practice," Owens said. "It's been fun so far."

Owens said they discussed "a little bit of everything," from football to diets.

"He's eating healthy these days," Owens said. "He's slimmed down. ... I kind of complimented him on his good shape coming into camp."
    Nice to hear that Owens approves of Parcells' waistline.
    Meanwhile at Eagles camp, owner Jeffrey Lurie said it was a mistake to sign the outspoken wide receiver.

"I would not do it again," Lurie said in his annual state-of-the-team address. "You look back on it _ one year great, the second year a disaster. Nobody should be able to be as disruptive and really cut the energy of the team down.

"I think we all learned from that."

Also Wednesday, the Cowboys and star safety Roy Williams agreed to a five-year deal worth $25.2 million, with $11.1 million guaranteed.

Williams was entering the final year of his rookie contract. The new deal gives him a raise this season and locks him up for four more years, through 2010.

"I am going to be a Cowboy for life," said Williams, who came to Dallas as the eighth overall pick in 2002. "I'm staying here."
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

""Every day is a day of improvement," Owens said following the practice and a chat with coach Bill Parcells, which included technical talk about hand placement on a specific type of catch. "

- Oh I'm sure Owens and his ego wanted to hear from Parcells on how to catch. This is so funny.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I look foward to watching Parcells get increasingly agitated by the nonstop TO questions. He starts acting like a little girl when the media gets to him.

Comment

If Parcells acts like Bill Parcells and doesn't change to suit TO, then i actually think he'll have the best luck out of anyone keeping TO in line. An immature baby needs a stern figure to smack him around when he gets out of line, and Parcells won't hesitate.

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
          If Parcells acts like Bill Parcells and doesn't change to suit TO, then i actually think he'll have the best luck out of anyone keeping TO in line. An immature baby needs a stern figure to smack him around when he gets out of line, and Parcells won't hesitate.
          The only thing is, a baby will learn once he's been smacked. TO is 32 and has been in the league 11 years. I just don't see how he's going to just wake up and say, "Wait, maybe I've been wrong a couple times."

He's not going to stop talking. He's not going to stop thinking he's the center of the universe.

I think it will be OK for the Cowboys this year. But I don't know how long Parcells is going to tolerate questions and I don't know how many times Bledsoe is going to go running after TO to make sure he's OK. If TO has some statistically subpar games because Drew is getting sacked all the time, good luck.

We'll see. It's their headache now.

Dallas Sucks.

Comment

it's funny to see the Cowboy media and fans start to drink the coolaid

some reporter on NFL Network last night declared that Owens will be happy in Dallas because he "got his money this time"

basically slamming the Eagles for not paying up and applauding the Cowboys for doing it right.

uh-huh

perfect outcome for the 10/8 game? Owens has 15 receptions for 225 yards and 2 TD's, but the Eagles win 24-14 as Bledsoe is sacked and INT'd multiple times. TO goes off about how good he is and how bad his teammates are. the beginning of the end

Comment

I don't understand where this myth comes from that Parcells doesn't coddle his superstars. He practically invented it with LT.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                I don't understand where this myth comes from that Parcells doesn't coddle his superstars. He practically invented it with LT.
                but he had no free agency or sal cap to worry about back in those days

Tuna has struggled in today's NFL IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20
                  Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                  but he had no free agency or sal cap to worry about back in those days

Tuna has struggled in today's NFL IMHO

Huh? I'm saying that Parcells will go out of his way to accomodate his superstars. As long as TO performs at the #1 player on offense (and looking at that team he is) he'll have no problems with Parcells.

Comment

I think Owens is going to find that Peanut Butter and Jelly tastes a lot better than Peanut Butter and Mayonaise.

Just kick Bledsoe's a$$. I can't wait for the first time, as Bledsoe is adjusting his helmet after getting plastered in the earhole, and TO comes back to the huddle bitching about being open....

Comment

[quote="sfphillyfanHuh? I'm saying that Parcells will go out of his way to accomodate his superstars. As long as TO performs at the #1 player on offense (and looking at that team he is) he'll have no problems with Parcells.[/quote]

I wasn't arguing with you. I was just adding something to what you said.

I don't think any coach on any team can afford to coddle players in today's NFL. There is a cap implication to every player and every issue.

why do you think Keyshawn is gone?

Comment

You ever see Joe vs the Volcano?

"I'm not arguing that with you..."

Comment

i think TO will soon learn that he had a hell of a passer putting the ball in his hands when he played in philly. McNabb & TO were instant...TO and Bledsoe are starting out poorly. The writing is on the wall.

Comment

obviously for me to get some balls in my hands so I can get familiar with his touch," Owens said
                            Is he talking about Bledsoe or Garcia?

Comment

Working...
                            X