Why are we stockpiling picks in 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Fresh-

I think AR has always been this shrewd (In a good way)... I think it was the whole "TO" era that made AR- sadly- look stupid. His system worked- or atleast before BO got here... Now we're seeing it more? More micro'ed? I'm not disagreeing here- But Big Hank- for the most part- earned his playing time. Better players are beating old Hank out-
    http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

Comment

Well, I think the "comfort food" theory is bullshit and derives from the same mythology as the BYU connection, Reid's inflexibility and the Eagles cheap theories...

He had a center he completely trusted in Bubba Miller who, when injured, was replaced by the UDFA Fraley since Reid was impressed by his potential....Fraley won the job on merit and held it against all challengers through 2004 on merit. Then in 2005, he was injured and Reid replaced him with Jackson since he was impressed by his potential...Jackson won the job on merit and the story continues.

Fraley was a very good center for this team, was the captain of the OL that helped the team to 3 straight NFCCG and 1 SB, was trusted by Reid and McNabb completely, was trusted by his fellow OL completely and gave all he had every time out IMO...

We will see how Jackson does...I believe he will be very good and supported him winning the job, but I do wonder why people are always looking for ways to paint Reid and the Eagles as playing favorites or "protecting" inferior players and are so quick to diss players who helped us win alot of games...
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Fraley was nothing more than an average player, and the weakest link along the O-Line. He had the mental part of the game down, but wasn't up to the task physically. That's why the Eagles were ready to throw suitcases dull of money at LeCharles Bentley. I wish Hank well, but his spot needed to be upgraded. Right or wrong, getting exposed in the biggest game of your life doesn't help his cause.

Comment

VFK, I hear ya, and you can make a case for any player individually. But when you look at the number of long time, mediocre hangers-n that have hit the bricks this season, I think it's worth mentioning. You can put your own spin on it as to WHY it's happening. Bottom line is, Reid is cleaning house .
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Oh, and you should be HAPPY. I am saying that if there WAS a case that Andy was haniging on to certain guys due to a comfort level, it's OVER. You won't hear me accusing him of that ANY MORE!
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
              Oh, and you should be HAPPY. I am saying that if there WAS a case that Andy was haniging on to certain guys due to a comfort level, it's OVER. You won't hear me accusing him of that ANY MORE!
              The Eagles may have kept Detmer, Fraley, Parry, and others in part to help with team chemistry and continuity. At a certain point, however, skills on the football field trump chemistry and continuity. When the team was easily winning the NFC East it could afford to err on the side of chemistry and continuity. It no longer has that luxury.

Comment

VFK, I hear ya, and you can make a case for any player individually. But when you look at the number of long time, mediocre hangers-n that have hit the bricks this season, I think it's worth mentioning. You can put your own spin on it as to WHY it's happening. Bottom line is, Reid is cleaning house .
                I continue to disagree with both of your premises...one, that they did not earn their jobs on merit and that Reid has pursued some special "house cleaning" this year...

For example, Hugh was cut last year...he was a long term Eagle and favorite of Reid. Was that house cleaning? Or was he cut simply because he did not perform well enough to make the team? I say the latter.

Koy I can see since he was largely valued for his knowledge of the systems, ST play and support of McNabb, but Pinky and Fraley were starters by merit and helped us win alot of games while here...Parry was beaten out by a better player and was not replaced last year due to Tapeh's injury IMO. Fraley and Pinky were injured and were either still not healthy or were beaten out by a better player. Simy was traded since another team wanted him and were offering a good WR in return...

Mahe is still here. Lewis is still here. Dhani is still here. IMO they have jobs again on merit, but I am pretty sure you would put them in the "comfort food" category...why have they not been house cleaned yet? Perhaps because they are still on the team on merit? Perhaps because they still bring value to the team that Reid wants?

The Eagles have cut important vets and picks every year and IMO would not be as good as they are if they made decisions based on bias and "comfort" as you argue...everything I know about Reid contradicts him running the team like that and I think the evidence clearly shows he is willing to change anyone who does not perform up to his standard and does it repeatedly every year...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Thank goodness...

I guess Dhani, Lewis, Mahe et al. can breathe easier...lol

-Andy Reid

Comment

Any confirmation on what rounds the picks are in? Sorry if already posted and I missed ...
                    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Working...
                    X