Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Thiesman on Kevin Kolb (or better put, Joe Thiesman is an idiot.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Thiesman on Kevin Kolb (or better put, Joe Thiesman is an idiot.)

As if we needed more reasons to think Thiesman is a dope AND an Eagle hater, here you go...

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/07/...-nfl/#more-846

An explanation to Joe Theismann: The difference between what Kevin Kolb and John Beck have done in the NFL
    Jul 10th, 2011 by Jimmy Kempski.

I caught a piece from the Washington Post’s Mike Wise that had a quote from Joe Theismann, who compared John Beck’s career to date to Kevin Kolb’s. I should note that Wise’s article has little to do with Kolb – It’s kind of buried on the second page, but I pretty much couldn’t ignore Theismann’s insanely ridiculous quote:
    “John Beck and Kevin Kolb came out the same year. Because Andy Reid named Kevin Kolb a starter for a half of a game, or a quarter of a game, we’ve anointed him the hottest free agent out there. But what has he done? I mean, really, what has he done?”

Then you take a look at John Beck, who sat for a number of years, who was in another bad situation offensively in Miami, which seems like they’ve had way too many of them.”
    I’ll answer that question about Kolb, Joe:

- Kolb is the first person in the history of the NFL to throw for more than 300 yards in each of his first two starts (391 vs the Saints, 327 vs the Chiefs).

- In two of Kolb’s first 5 NFL starts, Kolb was named the NFL Player of the Week (vs the Chiefs in 2009, and the Falcons in 2010).

- When Michael Vick was injured vs the Redskins, Kolb started the next 3 games, with the Eagles winning two of them (both against NFC teams), and played well in both wins. Without those wins, the Eagles probably don’t make the playoffs.

So those are the highlights. Mix in a good game here and a bad game there and what you have is a really promising young QB that has shown flashes of stellar QB play, flashes of inexperienced QB play, and a need for more consistency. Obviously, he doesn’t have the resume of a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but in the limited action he has seen, the resume certainly has some impressive highlights.

Now, as a disclaimer, I don’t want to diminish John Beck’s game… since… well… I have no idea what John Beck’s game is. But for the purpose of answering Theismann’s question thoroughly, let’s compare Beck’s resume to Kolb:

- In Beck’s rookie season, he was the #3 behind Trent Green and Cleo Lemon. After Green got hurt and Lemon was ineffective, Beck appeared in five games on one of the worst teams in recent NFL history, the 1-15 Dolphins. Obviously, a terrible situation for a rookie QB, but here were his numbers in those games if you’re interested. He hasn’t played a single NFL snap since 2007.

- After Beck’s rookie season, the Dolphins acquired THREE QB’s. They signed both Chad Pennington and Luke McCown, and drafted Chad Henne. Pennington won the starting job, Henne became the 2. McCown injured his finger chopping firewood and was traded to Carolina. Seriously. Beck survived one more season.

- During the offseason after his 2nd season, still buried as the 3, the Dolphins drafted Pat White, and cut Beck two days later.

- Beck then signed with the Ravens, and he was again the 3 behind Joe Flacco and Troy Smith.

- Last offseason the Redskins traded Doug Dutch for Beck. He was the 3… again… behind Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman.

So as you can clearly see (assuming of course that my research is correct), John Beck has never been anything more than a #3 QB. This year it appears that he’ll at least be the 2 to start a season, a first for Beck.

I’ve seen Beck compared to Kolb a number of places, probably since they were both 2nd round picks in the 2007 draft. But until Beck actually plays a few snaps, please… just stop that nonsense.
Working...
X