Westbrook Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westbrook Released

According to 950 ESPN. Haven't been able to confirm it yet.

EDIT: A press conference is scheduled for 3:00 today but I found this at PE.com (PC was moved back to 4:00)

Westbrook To Finish As One Of Eagles' All-Time Greats

The Philadelphia Eagles announced on Tuesday that they will release running back Brian Westbrook.
    "Brian is one of the greatest Eagles of all time and he is even a better person and leader," said head coach Andy Reid. "In my mind, there has not been a more versatile running back that the NFL has seen. I had a conversation with Brian this morning to let him know. This is by far the most difficult part of this job. We wanted to make this move now in order to maximize Brian's chances of landing with another NFL team."
    Westbrook will finish his Eagles career as the franchise's all-time leader in yards from scrimmage (9,785) after being selected in the 3rd round of the 2002 draft from Division I-AA Villanova. He also ranks 2nd in rushing yards (5,995) behind Wilbert Montgomery and 3rd in receptions (426) behind Harold Carmichael and Pete Retzlaff. In addition, Westbrook's 68 total touchdowns ranked 3rd in team history behind Carmichael and Steve Van Buren. He holds the franchise's single season record for most scrimmage yards in a season (a league-leading 2,104 in 2007) and most receptions in a season (90 in 2007). He eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark 20 times (including playoffs) during his career, tying for 2nd most in club history.
    "Brian Westbrook is one of the most electric players in the history of this franchise and is certainly also one of the most popular," said Eagles Chairman Jeffrey Lurie. "He was personally one of the my favorite players to watch each and every Sunday and his playmaking abilities, leadership and values will be missed."
    Said team president Joe Banner, "We all know how valuable Brian was as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles and he will certainly go down as one of the greatest Eagles of all time. But what really showed me how special a person Brian is, was watching the way he interacted with my children. That said more to me about Brian than anything else he could have done on the playing field. We will miss him both as a person and as a player."
    -- Posted by Chris McPherson, 1:44 p.m., February 23

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/
    Last edited by Jukin; 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Sad. End of an era. First Dawk, now BWest....next is McNabb. Those have been our three cornerstones for most of the last decade. I could throw Runyan in there as well.

Thanks for a good run, boys. Westy, you will be missed.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Damn. It's amazing how huge a part of the offense this guy was for years. Hard to imagine the team without him.

Thanks Westy for some truly great years of football.

Comment

Not unexpected,I think Weaver will get a deal soon.Thanks Brian,at your best you were 1 of the best.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

One of the all-time greats of this team. Right up there with Wilbert Montgomery in my view. This is a very sad day.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Really sorry to see him go. An Eagles legend, one of the best!
            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Hopefully, Westbrook will decide to retire now. I would think that there is a very good chance of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                Hopefully, Westbrook will decide to retire now. I would think that there is a very good chance of that.
                That would be nice as far as the fans are concerned, but I saw a recent interview with him and he said that he planned to play next year. Wouldn't speculate on anything beyond that.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                  One of the all-time greats of this team. Right up there with Wilbert Montgomery in my view. This is a very sad day.
                  I'll echo that!
                  "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Brian Westbrook was a special player that carried the team on offense for many seasons. Remember when TO was injured and he put Westbrook at wideout in the playoffs because he was the best receiver we had.

Lets hope he doesn't end up with an NFC East team. I could see a team like the Patriots bringing him in. They love veteran running backs.
                    I don't know how much Kevin Faulk has left but he could fit into that role nicely.
                    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Westbrook was always a class act. I loved how he carried himself on the field. He'll always be an all-time favorite of mine. There is definitely a changing of the guard.

Comment

There are now only four Eagles left who played in Superbowl 39 - McNabb, Akers, Sheldon, and Mikell. (Shawn Andrews was on the roster but on IR, Jamaal Jackson was on the practice squad.)

Believe it or not, guys like Trent Cole are now among the longest-tenured players on the team.
                        Last edited by IMK; 02-23-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Breaks my heart but the right move.
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Unfortunately, his contract made this a virtual necessity. It would appear they are freeing up money. I would not be a bit surprised to see Dansby signed. He would be the lower priced guy between Peppers and he and I think they might just pull the trigger on him.
                            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Good luck Brian...thanks for the effort, talent and memories...one of the best

Changing of the guard continues as it does every year...sign Weaver, bring in Chester Taylor to backup McCoy, draft another RB fairly high and we'll see what happens...
                              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X