X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head coaching candidates breakdown:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/30/n...t-black-monday

Comment

I just heard Doug Pederson is a serious candidate for the HC.

http://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statu...42561827749888

Comment

Dave Toub is an interesting name. I think we are going to get someone from the Reid coaching tree.
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Please.... Duce is not serious candidate for the HC job, he fulfills the Rooney rule, and my guess he is ok with that as long as he gets some serious consideration for the O/C or some other promotion .

Comment

Teryl Austin Profile:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ve-coordinator

Near the end, it states that he and Bill Davis worked together before, and that he might consider retaining Davis as a result.

Why he could work

Pretty much everywhere Teryl Austin goes, his teams and his units are really successful. In Seattle he coached in the Super Bowl, in Arizona he coached in the Super Bowl, and in Baltimore he won a Super Bowl. He’s developed young talent and gotten good seasons out of veteran talent, coaching Pro Bowl seasons of Adrian Wilson, Antrelle Rolle, Dominique Rodgers-Cromarite and Ed Reed and an All Pro season for Wilson. In Detroit, Ziggy Ansah had a breakout season this year. He's gotten the most out of his players at every stop in his career, he is clearly a pretty good coach.

Why it wouldn’t work

A coach having a single great year should give one pause. Was it his coaching, or was it just right time right place? The 2014 Lions turned over much of their defensive starting lineup from 2013, so there is little common ground to compare and say it was most likely the coaching of Austin. Any defense would suffer with the loss of a player of the caliber of Suh, but the 2015 Lions defense didn’t just decline, it cratered. The praise by his players for 2014 should be taken with salt, players are always going to say really nice things when they’re having a really good season. The Lions are the fourth time Jim Caldwell and Austin have coached together, they are clearly friends and as such Caldwell is biased. Austin had two interviews with the Falcons, one of which lasted an entire day, and they decided to pass on him. At the very least an owner who is interviewing him needs to talk to Arthur Blank about why they did not hire him. And Austin overseeing the Lions defensive dominance of the Eagles on Thanksgiving might give the Eagles another recency bias.

Final thoughts

Teryl Austin is very clearly a top defensive backs coach, and may be a very good defensive coordinator as well. But it’s also possible that he simply had a good, fluke season as a defensive coordinator in 2014. By all appearances he’s a respected leader of men, and has been successful everywhere he goes. It would seem that a position coach who coaches in three Super Bowls for three different teams in eight years is doing something right. Jeffrey Lurie has shown and knows that paper resume doesn’t matter as much as other factors can, Andy Reid was a fairly nondescript coach when he was hired. Austin is believed to be in demand again this offseason, and the Eagles wouldn’t be wrong to interview him.

Should Austin get the Eagles head coaching job, there is a strong possibility that he would retain Bill Davis. The two worked together in Arizona and Davis, who is close friends with Urban Meyer, recommended him to Meyer in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
              Teryl Austin Profile:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ve-coordinator

Near the end, it states that he and Bill Davis worked together before, and that he might consider retaining Davis as a result.
              If we retain Bill Davis, I will have to suspend (Perhaps end?) my belief in this franchise. Davis is just as much at fault as Chip Kelly for the team's demise. If Lurie, Roseman, Donahoe, etc. can't see that, the Eagles are in for a long period of decline.
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

If Austin wants to retain Silly Billy then my guess is Jeffrey says NO to him.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  If Austin wants to retain Silly Billy then my guess is Jeffrey says NO to him.
                  Sure hope so, unless it's more that Austin will be the one calling blitzes etc. and Davis is just here to teach Austin's preferences. Davis could be OK as long as there is someone else doing a lot of the defensive game plan / calls.

McDermott was in a similar boat here... much better served with a defensive head coach. But... McDermott probably just needed to learn nuances of the job... I have serious doubts that Davis will ever be creative enough to be a good DC on his own. He's been OK and would undoubtedly improve with a more normal time of possession, but... he just feels a bit uninspired and a bit slow to react.

Comment

Working...
                  X