Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Good guy QB is one greedy bastard

Drew Brees' contract doesn't allow Saints to use franchise tag

Drew Brees, who is heading into the final year of his contract with the New Orleans Saints, has a little-known, rarely used clause in his deal that prohibits the team from using its franchise tag on him, league sources told Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Brees could still re-sign with New Orleans, a city he says he loves and will always be connected to, but the team cannot block him from leaving.

The 38-year-old Brees, who led the NFL in passing yards for the seventh time with 5,208 last season, said during the summer that he is not focused on his contract status. The Saints open their season on Monday night against the Minnesota Vikings.

"Right now [no discussions are taking place]. I don't expect them to. I don't really desire them to," Brees said in July. "I just want to play football and help this team win."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

He's gone as Jerry would sing...likely sick & tired of scoring 30+ pts and losing games and knowing that Payton is leaving soon plus Brees has little time to win another SB
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
      He's gone as Jerry would sing...likely sick & tired of scoring 30+ pts and losing games and knowing that Payton is leaving soon plus Brees has little time to win another SB
      Maybe if he didn't insist on wiping out their salary cap with the contract that he has now he might have won another one. He's a big phony if you ask me.

Comment

I do not begrudge someone for getting their deserved pay. Its not like his salary is out of whack with the QB salary structure. Plus he is the Saints: best player, best ambassador, brought a SB there, made ownership billions and fellow teammates millions. Without him and Payton, fans there would still be wearing paper bags on Sundays.
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
          I do not begrudge someone for getting their deserved pay. Its not like his salary is out of whack with the QB salary structure. Plus he is the Saints: best player, best ambassador, brought a SB there, made ownership billions and fellow teammates millions. Without him and Payton, fans there would still be wearing paper bags on Sundays.
          All that I know is that NO dumped about 5 starters because he wanted to get paid and bitched like hell when he was going to get franchised for $20 million. I like him because he's the reason we got Sproles and Jenkins because NO couldn't pay him after his big payday and then he bitched about them letting Sprolls go. The kid in Oakland knows what the deal is and signed a team friendly deal "so other guys could get paid" unlike Mr. Ambassador.

Comment

Working...
          X