We was bamboozled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We was bamboozled!

This is a sad situation with Castillo for which AR is entirely to blame! While he may have begged for the job, Castillo is a victim along with the team and it's fans.

(Castillo strikes me as a reliable and enthusiastic plodder who, given a task, will work faithfully, tirelessly and, probably, rigidly to complete it. If he just keeps at 'the plan', all his hard work will eventually pay off because that's just the way the world works. The ability to adjust and adapt...not so much!)

This act alone...appointing Castillo the DC when the entire team, and especially the defense, was in a state of marked transition with little preparation time because of the lockout...has caused me to give up on Reid. When announced, I had been willing to believe that Reid must...must have good reasons for this very unorthodox move...that Reid must know things or recognize special qualities in Castillo that would enable him to pull this off. If there wasn't something really special about Castillo, than AR would never risk the season and maybe his own job by putting him in what seemed an extremely difficult and failure prone situation.

Well, it turns out there was nothing special about Castillo. He's a hard and enthusiastic worker. That doesn't even begin to be enough. Castillo certainly appears to be on his way to failing miserably, ably assisted by some remarkably poor personnel decisions at Safety and LBer.

So we are left with the inescapable question...Why did Reid do it? This is a perplexing question for me because I have always liked AR and considered him a basically decent guy and good coach with some minor game day flaws.

But this questions seems to raise some troubling issues about the kind of person AR is..

Is it monumental arrogance? An arrogance so consuming that it blinded Reid to the reality that there was little if anything about Castillo that might lead to success in this absolutely key role.

Is it an obsession with control? Does AR want loyal yes men around him so badly that he willingly/intentionally sacrifices quality.

Or is Andy really not as smart as many of us, the majority of the media included, though he was?

Whatever the answer, this move was so totally unnecessary and so damaging to the team that it's a deal breaker for me. Not that it may matter but, if he's lost guys like me, how much fan support does he have left?

i vote arrogance.

Comment

Oh, I think there's a control aspect to it. I think Big Red and Banner have been locked in a titanic struggle for power for several years now and Reid wants loyal lieutenants to assist in his battle against the Dark Side. In that sense, Castillo and Howie Roseman are not altogether different.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

LT the difference between Roseman and Castillo is that based on tbe last off season Howie appears to know how to do his job. Juan has no clue.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I'VE GOT IT!

I've cracked the code Tino! I know why Castillo was hired. It came to me in a dream.

Reid deliberately hired Castillo to say "See? You said McDermott was bad? How about Castillo? THIS IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU FIRE ME!"

Comment

If McDermott was still our DC, we'd probably be 3-2.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

For all the shit Castillo takes, the biggest mistake Reid made in the off season was hiring Washburn. After hiring him they had to give the job to a guy like Castillo because no one is going to want to come in and be forced to play a certain system.

Unless Reid or Washburn resign we are in for the SSDD for a while.
              FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I thought it was a case of giving castillo the job first but he didn't want to give it to him until he had a replacement.

Either way, practically every decision Andy made in the offseason has been disastrous.

Comment

Working...
                X