No announcement yet.

My thought on Hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else I failed to consider until now: One may argue that as goes Wentz, so goes the Eagles. That is true to an extent. Witness the end of last season's playoff game.

Perhaps the FO also believes that the possibility of the team's overall success is paramount to the success of the star QB? Therefore, acquire talent according to the team's draft board/philosophy and try to maximize the probability of overall team success.

Comment

...and re: Taysom Hill...

Saints giving him a new deal, even with rumors of Jameis Winston coming in to be Brees' backup. This may hint at an expanded gadget-type role. Or not.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...22/taysom-hill

Comment

at the end of the draft Press Conference Doug reiterated they want competition at EVERY position , including QB. But for me, if you just look back at the Seattle game, we needed someone with Hurts skill set, we had no WRs, Hurts has the ability to make the big play by air or ground. He can run WRs open too.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I'll just say that the Eagles drafted him to play QB, period. They need a great backup if they can develop one. Go no further back than 2017 to see how important that position is and Suds certainly isn't it. I don't want somebody else's trash to put in for Wentz if (when) he gets hurt again. The only season that he ever made it through was his rookie year and even then he missed most of the preseason with broken ribs. I'll also add that you don't spend a 2nd round pick on a gadget player but you do with a good QB.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Not a gadget player.... a very versatile football player. IMM they did not draft him to be a backup QB. They are looking to mix things up and add talent. And he wouldn’t have been there in the 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              Not a gadget player.... a very versatile football player. IMM they did not draft him to be a backup QB. They are looking to mix things up and add talent. And he wouldn’t have been there in the 3rd.
              Howie said something about someone after them wanting him and he wouldn't have made the 3rd
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

this just hit the NBC Philly page

Eagles are making sure they have their “Nick Foles" with Jalen Hurts just in case
                By John Clark April 26, 2020 12:01 PM

The Eagles needed to make sure they have “Nick Foles.”

The Eagles have made the playoffs three straight years. But they haven’t had their biggest investment and most important player on the field for their biggest postseason games.

Carson Wentz is a great human being and can play at an MVP level. The Eagles have made it clear they are not concerned about his long-term health. We all hope he can be on the field and lead the Eagles to the next Super Bowl. But the Eagles needed to know they have the most important position in sports covered. Without their “Nick Foles,” the Eagles are still searching for their FIRST Super Bowl. Would they have beaten the Seahawks at the Linc in January with a better backup? The defense only gave up 17 points. The offense only scored three field goals. 0-3 in the redzone.

40-year-old Josh McCown played his heart out through a torn hamstring, but if the Eagles had their “Nick Foles,” they could have possibly won, Carson could have returned for the NFC divisional game, maybe they would have won and been in the NFC championship game.

“It's just the insurance policy. No one in the league, no team knows the value of an insurance policy at quarterback more than we do after what we went through in the 2017 season and what we experienced. It's adding a good football player, and we're excited for Jalen Hurts to be here,” Eagles VP of player personnel Andy Weidl said.

Maybe the Eagles don't draft Jalen Hurts in the second round if Carson Wentz was healthy for these last three playoffs. But the Eagles have always tried to upgrade at backup QB. They upgraded from Chase Daniel to Nick Foles before the Super Bowl season. Boy did that pay off.

You can tell the Eagles are enamored and wowed by Jalen Hurts' skillset. The Eagles see where the NFL is going with a dual threat quarterback who can run and throw on the run. See Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, DeShaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson.

I think this was the perfect storm with a dual threat type of quarterback the Eagles see as the future of the league and know they can have him as a backup under a rookie contract for the next 4 years, hopefully develop him into a starting caliber quarterback, and right away utilize him with Taysom Hill type packages and add a new dimension to their offense.

Last June, the Eagles new passing game coordinator Press Taylor said this:

“I do think at some point one of the big things is having multiple people on the field who can throw the ball. I think that’s something [you’ll see] going forward. You’ve seen kind of the Philly Special, all the different versions of double passes, things like that. I think at some point something like that I could see coming into play."

If Jalen Hurts, who plays the most important position in sports, is one of or your highest rated player on your board at 53, what do you do?

I get that a lot of Eagles fans wanted a player at 53 that can contribute right away. I did too. But if the Eagles had signed Jalen Hurts as a free agent and not drafted him in the second round, would you feel differently?

If the Eagles had drafted linebacker Davion Taylor or safety K’Von Wallace in the second round and then drafted Jalen in the third or fourth round, would you feel differently?

Is it the right move? The future will tell if the Eagles correctly valued or overvalued Jalen Hurts in the second round. Is what Nick Foles did for the Eagles worth a second round pick?

There is a shock to this. It is stunning. After investing over $100 million in Carson Wentz less than a year ago.

“When I was hired back in 2016, we were always going to make a point of emphasis to look at the quarterback position and try the best we can to draft quarterbacks and develop quarterbacks. It protects that position. And I've always said to you guys that we're trying to develop depth and competition. I've always told you guys that the quarterback position is never immune to that,” head coach Doug Pederson said.

“I think when you talk about what the ideal situation is, that's obviously winning Super Bowls with our starting quarterback (Carson), getting this kid (Jalen) up to speed, showing what kind of talent that we think he has, and that's a great situation for the Philadelphia Eagles, and that's certainly worth more than the pick that we took him at right now,” Eagles VP Howie Roseman said.

Carson Wentz was probably surprised by this. He watched Nick Foles win a Super Bowl and grew from that and has handled everything in the most professional way. I’m sure this will add even more motivation. The hope is for Carson Wentz to be the starter till the end of his contract and beyond and lead the Eagles to the playoffs and hopefully another Super Bowl. But the Eagles are making sure, just in case, they have their “Nick Foles.”

Comment

umm, doesn't change anything IMM
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    umm, doesn't change anything IMM
                    Why ND? Brady was a rock but the Patriots still used to use a 2 or 3 every 3 years for a QB and the fans would go apeshit too. Matt Cassell came in and won 11 games the one year that Brady did miss.

Comment

Still think that is more coach speak.... Maybe I’m waaaaay out in left field. I think he sees the field a lot this season.... if we have one.

Comment

[QUOTE=MDFAN;350218]Still think that is more coach speak.... Maybe I’m waaaaay out in left field. I think he sees the field a lot this season.... if we have one.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I went from shock to anger to quiet thought (without reading the grades/analysts' opinions) to acceptance.

One way I got to acceptance is I believe he was the BPA at the time. Hurts has an incredible skillset and he has shown that he can put the team first even if it doesn't benefit him. McCown is not going to be back and if Suds is just not progressing than getting this amount of talent makes sense. Would an edge rusher or a safety have played more snaps this year? Let's hope so (meaning Wentz stayed healthy).

The other comment I heard was the Eagles consider themselves QB developers. I also believe that to be an honest statement. If Wentz tears the league up with all this speed and Hurts shows flashes, then the Eagles have another trade chip that could be used to recoup that 2nd and maybe more.

Comment

This pick could really bring back big returns in a couple years. What if there is no college football or a shortened season this year?
                            There are a bunch of teams that need their QB of the future: Pitt, NE, NO (if Winston doesn’t pan out) and there are a lot of questionable starters out there like Mayfield, Cousins, Trubisky, Minshew, . . .
                            If Hurts shows flashes, we could get huge returns.
                            I read somewhere that the draft very rarely helps you win a Super Bowl the next year (and certainly won’t this year with little to no training camp) and sets your team up for the future. FA and trades are for more immediate returns. (Slay, D. Jackson, M. Jackson, Hargrave, Goodwin are all players that we didn’t have last year)
                            Losing Jenkins is the only big ??? this off season. Our season might all depend on how Manuel can get this new secondary to play together.
                            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                              I went from shock to anger to quiet thought (without reading the grades/analysts' opinions) to acceptance.
                              The day 3 picks really softened the blow of the first 2 rounds for me. And, I am starting to come around on the Hurts pick just a bit, provided Doug really thinks they can work on some of Hurts obvious shortcomings (deeper throws, slow recognition).

Hurts has stated many times that he sees himself as a QB and nothing else. So, I don't know how well he will take being used as a gadget player, if that is what it comes to.

It's a pick that really goes against the grain. I guess only time will tell if Howie and Doug are right.

Comment

I have been pretty angry about the Eagles passing on better receivers in order to take Hurts in the 2nd round. I've decided that being upset is meaningless since I can't change the pick and obviously they are the professional talent evaluators and I am simply someone who watches them play. Although I definitely lost confidence in the front office last year based on the crap they trotted out at receiver - specifically waiting until the WC playoff game to bring up Gibson and hanging onto Mack Hollins long after it was clear he wasn't what they thought he was. I still don't understand how they could see Ward, Scott, Gibson and Perkins in practice every day and not give them a call up earlier than they did. But that's history.

It does though have me questioning their evaluation process, and definitely factored into my response to the draft this year. But the simple fact of the matter is that we won't know if taking Reagor at 21 and Hurts at 53 was a good move until we see what Reagor can really do and how they use Hurts. There is no real room for mistakes. the Cowboys were already a better team the moment they rid themselves of Garrett and their off-season looks (on paper at least) to be a significant improvement. Time will tell if the Eagles can say the same thing. I have my doubts, but I am still hopeful. For Howie's sake - actually for ALL OF OUR sakes, I hope he got it right!
                                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                                X