3rd Down Conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Down Conversions

Article on the official Eagles site regarding the importance of 3rd down conversions...I think this is one of those very vital stats that help offensive production stay at a high level.

Below is an excerpt from the article on how the Eagles approach it and how successful they have been so far this year.

"Donovan McNabb has been a steady hand on third downs, posting a 95.0 passer rating, seventh-best among all quarterbacks. Brett Favre, meanwhile, is No. 2 among passers on third downs with a 131.5 rating, including three touchdown passes and no interceptions.

So what does McNabb look for on third downs?

QB Donovan McNabb
    "You are probably more aware of the first down marker than you would be on other downs," said McNabb, the league leader in passing yards (960) and second in touchdowns (7). "It's not so much that you are looking for a big play or a score -- you're just very conscious of getting the first down to move the chains."

Bottom line: sustainin the drive and keep the opposing defense on the field.

The Eagles have excelled in this area through the first three weeks of the season, converting 48.7 percent (19 of 39) of third downs, the second-best conversion rate in the NFL. The Packers are tied for 12th in that category.

Philadelphia has scored 86 points, second in the NFL, thanks in part to the ability to extend drives on third down."

It appears we are converting at a very high level despite not having the "big back" that many were whining about in the media and hopefully we can continue this trend...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Except we are 0-2 on 4th downs and lost a game because of it.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

'The Eagles have excelled in this area through the first three weeks of the season, converting 48.7 percent (19 of 39) of third downs, the second-best conversion rate in the NFL. "

Can't possibly be true-- after all we keep losing the TOP cause the Offense can't stay on the field and has constant 3 and outs cause Reid ,the hard head, won't run the ball enough...................

Comment

It's not enough to have TOP unless you score points. It's not about ratio's, and running the ball per say, but being able to bang out a few yards when you need too. I hate 3d and one pass plays. I hate 4th and short and you can't run the ball so you throw. This part of the Eagles O is still sorely lacking, and it cost them the Gints game. Yes the D sucked, but they would still of won that game with 1 more 1st down.
        Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

"This part of the Eagles O is still sorely lacking"

It's not lacking it's the HC's choice .

"and it cost them the Gints game."

Let's just say I disagree here, big time!

Comment

How did going 0-2 on 4th down, NOT cost them the Giants game?

I think it's safe to say that if we get that 4th down late in the 4th that we probably win the game but that's just me.
            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr

I think it's safe to say that if we get that 4th down late in the 4th that we probably win the game but that's just me.
              I can think of at least 6/7 other things that more directly went into that Giants loss as not making a 4th an 1 play did.

Comment

Originally posted by nc
                It's not enough to have TOP unless you score points. It's not about ratio's, and running the ball per say, but being able to bang out a few yards when you need too. I hate 3d and one pass plays. I hate 4th and short and you can't run the ball so you throw. This part of the Eagles O is still sorely lacking, and it cost them the Gints game. Yes the D sucked, but they would still of won that game with 1 more 1st down.
                How is it lacking? They are 2nd in the NFL in converting 3rd downs.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr

I think MD was referring to nc's post, not yours rspurr, but I agree if we had executed well and converted that 4th down play it does help us hold onto that game....but I think it is more about execution rather than play calling...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Conversion rates and short yardage offense are two entirely different things. I'm not talking about converting on 3d and 4. I'm talking about this teams long standing problem of strapping it up and pushing for a yard or so when it absolutely needs to. And if they could why doesn't Reid do so? Surely he wouldn't turn down what could be a game altering 1st down just because he would prefer they pass for 2 yards. That doesn't make any sense, and if it was true that would be an indictment on Reid. He doesn't because he doesn't think they can. And because he thinks this they don't believe that they can either. Hence 4 years of 3d/ 4th and 1 pass plays. As big as this OL is they cannot push for a yard? Great teams do what's neceassary to win, and what's necessary to win against good teams is being able to grind out a yard or two when you absolutely have to.
                    Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

But he did so just last week? McNabb did a QB sneak and they also ran for at least 2 3rd and short conversions if my memory serves me right...

He throws in those situations at times to break trend, to catch the defense for a big play or because there is a pass play the offense executes well...

Is he not allowed to pass at all in those situations? Why would we restrict him to only running? Great teams win games by scoring more points than the other team....it does NOT matter one iota how the points are scored IMO...the traditional adherence that the running game is the only way you can win is silly IMO...Reid and the Eagles have proven that wrong over the years as did the Pats, Rams and other teams...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                      X