Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota breakdown shows why they're probably favored

Know Your Enemy – MIN

Posted: January 20th, 2018 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 33 Comments
    The Vikings went 13-3 this year. They had the #1 defense in points and yards. The offense finished 10th in points and 11th in yards. This is a legitimately outstanding team. They may have won last week on a crazy, fluke play, but don’t get caught up in that. Crazy things happen in the postseason. Good teams take advantage of them.

QB

Don’t think of Case Keenum as a backup QB. He’s started 14 games this year and has a passer rating of 98.3. Keenum has a solid arm. He is willing to take chances and will give his guys a chance to make plays. He has excellent movement skills. He can throw on the run or make plays with his feet. Keenum had the highest rating of any QB in the league outside the pocket (116.4). You need to keep him in the pocket. He was at his best at key moments. Keenum had a rating of 110.4 in the Red Zone.

RB

Latavius Murray is a good downhill runner. Has good speed. Ran for 8 TDs, but only averaged 3.8 yards per carry. Isn’t going to create a lot of yards on his own, but is dangerous when he hits the hole at full stride. Limited receiver. Only 15 catches this year. Jerick McKinnon caught 51 passes and was the receiving threat out of the backfield.

WR

Adam Thielen had an amazing year, going 91-1276. Only had 4 TDs. Thielen has great body control, which helps him to be a dynamic route runner. He can just destroy CBs with his releases and cutting ability. Extremely competitive. Fights for the ball. Has excellent hands. Stefon Diggs went 64-849-8. He has exceptional quickness and is very dangerous after the catch. Feisty, competitive players. Thielen and Diggs were the best WR duo in the NFC this year.

TE

Kyle Rudolph has excellent size at 6-5, 265. Very good in the Red Zone. Had 8 TD catches this year. MIN will flex him off the formation and sometimes even split him out wide. Solid route runner. Has good hands and uses his size to his advantage in the RZ. Catches the ball well in traffic.

OL

The weakest position group for the Vikings. They have had to shuffle players around and play a lot of different combinations. Rookie C Pat Elflein looks like he could become an outstanding player. RT Rashod Hill started 7 games this year and has been inconsistent. LT Riley Reiff isn’t a smooth pass blocker, but is effective. Will battle. Good run blocker.

DL

Everson Griffen led the way with 13 sacks this year. Excellent quickness. When he times the snap just right, is almost impossible to block. Great get-off. Can move around. Danielle Hunter has excellent length (6-6 frame). Very good athlete. Had 7 sacks this year. DT Linval Joseph is a player who can be dominant at times. I still don’t understand why the Giants let him go, but thank goodness they did. Big, powerful and athletic. Tom Johnson is the other starting DT. Smaller, quicker player. Brian Robison is a veteran pass rusher off the bench.

LB

Eric Kendricks, Mychal’s brother, is a great ILB. Has an excellent combination of instincts and athleticism. LBs who can run are critical. LBs who can run and know where to run are the kind of guys you build a defense around. Led the Vikings in tackles. Can cover, blitz and make plays all over the field. Anthony Barr is the kind of SAM that Jim Johnson would have loved. Huge at 6-5, 255. Can rush the passer. Can cover. Has developed into a solid all around LB. Picked off a pass last week. Gifted athlete.

S

Harrison Smith has become one of the best Safeties in the league. I thought he was good coming out of college, but never expected him to develop into this level of player. Special guy. Great instincts. Obviously does his homework because he knows what offenses are going to do, but also has that innate ability to be in the right spot at the right time. Led the Vikings with 5 INTs this year. Dangerous blitzer. Can time it really well and fly in on QBs. 2nd on the team in tackles. Andrew Sendejo is the other S, but he’s still in the concussion protocol as of now. The Vikings say they expect him to play. Would be a big loss for them if he had to sit.

CB

Xavier Rhodes has become one of the top CBs in the league. Huge at 6-2, 210. Makes Trae Waynes look like the small guy at 6-1, 183. Rhodes won’t get a lot of passes thrown his way so that means Waynes is going to get tested by default. Both players were outstanding this year. Mackensie Alexander is the #3 CB. He is the guy to target this year.

ST

PK Kai Forbath hit a 53-yard FG last week that gave the Vikings a late lead. He did miss 5 extra points this year (hmm…sounds familiar). Marcus Sherels is a good RS, but isn’t dynamic.

"Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Key matchup is the Vikes' O-line against the Eagles' D-line. Everything else in the game is pretty close to equal. But, this is where the Eagles have an advantage that they must capitalize on. I don't think their O-line can handle the Eagles D-line rotation, especially as the game wears on.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
      Key matchup is the Vikes' O-line against the Eagles' D-line. Everything else in the game is pretty close to equal. But, this is where the Eagles have an advantage that they must capitalize on. I don't think their O-line can handle the Eagles D-line rotation, especially as the game wears on.
      I think that our O line is better than their D line and that's going to surprise people (If they play as good as they are capable of anyay).

Comment

Just some dude's opinion...................

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          Just some dude's opinion...................
          The 98.3 QB rating for Keenum isn't. He's high on the QB list.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            Keenum has been solid all year. He won me my fantasy league as I was able to pick him up after Rodgers went down. I watched almost all his games and he moves really well. He will pick up a key first down or two with his legs every game. We need to make him uncomfortable with pressure but also be disciplined.
            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
              Keenum has been solid all year. He won me my fantasy league as I was able to pick him up after Rodgers went down. I watched almost all his games and he moves really well. He will pick up a key first down or two with his legs every game. We need to make him uncomfortable with pressure but also be disciplined.
              Not if the fucker is spitting teeth halfway through the first period.

Comment

rspurr
                "We need to make him uncomfortable with pressure but also be disciplined."

Eagle60
                Not if the fucker is spitting teeth halfway through the first period.

I like it. Another way to look at disciple discipline.

Comment

I realize that I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth in this thread. The truth is unless I take 10mgs of ambien I won't sleep tonight. I'll be up until 3 I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    That is still an average.... Ups and downs.... Who the f knows what Sunday will bring.

Comment

Working...
                    X