Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did we go from Super Bowl Champs to this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did we go from Super Bowl Champs to this?

The story of this season has been change. This team is not the Super Bowl champs from last year and they haven't been since they lost Diflippo and Riech. Below is my reasoning why we are we are (not in any order).

1. Carson Wentz injury of last year. I am not blaming the injury here what I am blaming is the uncertainty coming into this year of when he would return. Everything seemed to circle around not only Carson coming back but being the player he was before the injury. That to me was very shortsighted. While Carson has not been nearly as bad as folks make him out to be, he is not the Houdini of last year. Yes he has lost a step but speed is the last thing to come back after the surgery. The real issue I am seeing is his internal clock is all messed up. On some plays, he is rushing the throw (especially the deep ball) and on others, he is holding it too long. That can be corrected with an offseason of work (something he didn't have) and a good QB coach. Press Taylor to me is firmly in my sights as a guy who they may need to move on from. Overall he hasn't been terrible, he has actually been good but this team was setup for him to be great all the time and that is shortsighted. The future is very bright for Carson, those who can't see that just simply don't know the game. We love to eat our own here but the kid is going to be fine.

2. Howie Roseman he and Joe Douglas just haven't pulled the right strings player personnel wise this offseason. Aside from Michael Bennett no one they brought in is performing at any level near what they should be. The draft was not going to be a bountiful one based on where they were drafting and the number of picks they had Maddox and Goedert seemed to be good picks but other than that we haven't got much. Because of the salary cap they had to let go of some good players the replacements were not talent for talent replacements they were downgrades.

3. Injuries, not blaming the season on injuries but we sure might have played better if we had better luck here.

4. Coaching, the staff as a whole has taken a major step back and its more than just losing Dipflippio and Riech. I really have not seen any player take a step forward this year. The rookies Adams, Goedert, and Maddox have been Ok, but other than that most of the team has regressed. That is coaching, Then there are the scheme issues. You really can't come back with the same scheme every year. You have to continue to tweak it and we have not. Schwartz is mostly the blame for this as he is a stubborn man. He has tried over the last few weeks to change some things but honestly you can't become a press man team over night. You have to practice it, especially in the offseason. There should and will be coaching changes on this team. If there are not I question their dedication to winning.

5. The medical staff, I know its a new staff this year but its obvious there are issues there. Way to many soft tissue injuries. Torn ACL nothing you can do about them, broken bones the same, but soft tissue injuries can be for the most part avoided with proper work out routines etc.

As you can see there is blame throughout the organization. The overall plan for this year was flawed from the beginning.
    Overall this team can be fixed. They have lost 7 games, 6 of them by less than a TD. Some of the time its the offense, some of the time its the defense etc that is causing it. They need the offseason to regroup, make some changes especially in the coaching area (and of course there needs to be some player changes).
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I think it started with the end of last season. Guys were dinged up, some needed surgeries, and overall they got less rest. The year before last, Carson had a bunch of guys come up to Fargo getting reps and bonding. This year he was rehabbing. Everyone was healthy, for the most part for the offseason conditioning and camps. This year's offseason did not have the same feel to it.

On offense, I think they should have kept Blount to begin with, but losing Ajayi really compounded the situation, along with Sproles. Clement didn't step up, and Adams and Smallwood are just guys. They're backups. That has really hurt the offense, and the inability to run the ball well to close out games in the 4th quarter cost them a couple of games.

On defense, I tend to agree that the scheme has been suspect at times. You can't use injuries as an excuse to not look critically at what they've been doing with the X's and O's on defense. However, they certainly have had enough injuries to tank any unit in the league. Aikman made a really good point last night when he said that the Cowboys skill players were simply better than the person they were lining up against, and could win those one on one battles. Looking at things in the simplest terms, if you can't put a hat on a hat and win like that, you're in trouble. Yea, you can scheme, and help matters, but you're always a better coach when you have better players. Just ask Brian Billick.

As far as coaching, I agree with you. Reich and DeFlip were obviously a big part of their success, and you can certainly see a difference in Doug's playcalling. The brain drain made a huge impact. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Overall, the team really hasn't played a good football game in all phases, for four quarters all year. They need to regroup, get healthy, get the roster straight, and start rolling with the offseason programs.

Comment

A large part of this--- and the organization will never admit it-- but a lot stems from SB hangover and smelling ourselves a bit too much since the SB.

Injures happen, and we have had an enormous amount in the last two years. I'm would hazard a guess more in the last two years than any other team has had. Last year we had luck and grit and hunger--- this year not so much--- and it shows.

Wentz has the skill guys, O-Line and Back 7 on D really need to be looked at for talent and hunger. and I agree we need much better coaching and planning--- if that means new then go for it...but it needs to change.

Comment

My 5 things have caused the downfall. In this order:

1) Injuries - They have been ridiculous, especially in the secondary. We had no answer for Cooper last night. If Dallas does not make that trade, we win the game last night IMO.

2) Inability to make a critical stop on defense. It has happened over and over this year. They should have held Dallas to a FG in overtime
        if not for that fluke deflection. Most of these defensive breakdowns occurred before the secondary became decimated.

3) Coaching - Offense and defense. #1 has something to do with this problem. But, it's not just the injuries. See #2, which Schwartz had a lot to do with.

4) SB Hangover. It has been real. The team has not had the same fight this year.

5) Luck, or lack of it.

I do give the team credit for fighting back last night. But, I just hate losing to . We have lost 3 tight games in a row to them now (if you want to count the meaningless game last year).

The Rams are going to blow this team out with our problems in the secondary. 7-9 finish here we come.

Comment

Totally agree on Wentz not taking guys to Fargo this year due to rehab. QBs make a lot of money with the receivers when they go somewhere for a week to not only practice but to hang out.
          Told my wife last night when Aikman said the bird guys were overmatched by the Dallas guys that you have to out scheme them if you can't out talent them. There is certainly a point where there isn't enough scheme in the world but I think the birds could do better.
          Frickin 3rd downs like the one where Jenkins tackled Elliot a foot past the first down marker kill this team. They haven't been a good 3rd down team. They haven't been a good turnover team either, until last night.
          I harped long ago that the strength and condition coaches need to be looked at but maybe it is the medical staff. Not close enough to the situation to speak fluently on it but I'd be sending a memo if I were Lurie.
          I was okay with, and still am, going into the season with Ajayi, Clement, Adams, Smallwood. Ajayi going down for the season and Clement playing injured most of the year (if not still) were the devastating blow. Smallwood wouldn't be dressing for the most part without the injuries
          Lot to work on in the off season but they are in much better shape than most teams
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            A large part of this--- and the organization will never admit it-- but a lot stems from SB hangover and smelling ourselves a bit too much since the SB.

Injures happen, and we have had an enormous amount in the last two years. I'm would hazard a guess more in the last two years than any other team has had. Last year we had luck and grit and hunger--- this year not so much--- and it shows.

Wentz has the skill guys, O-Line and Back 7 on D really need to be looked at for talent and hunger. and I agree we need much better coaching and planning--- if that means new then go for it...but it needs to change.
            Yup! Agree 99%. The only thing that you probably didn't emphasize enough is that the team is totally devastated with injuries. TOTALLY!
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Yup! Agree 99%. The only thing that you probably didn't emphasize enough is that the team is totally devastated with injuries. TOTALLY!
              I dunno big guy--- I thought I put it out there when I said --- "Injures happen, and we have had an enormous amount in the last two years. I'm would hazard a guess more in the last two years than any other team has had." ----- guess this would make you feel better --- "Injures happen, and we have had an enormous amount in the last two years. I'm would hazard a guess more in the last two years than any other team has had."

That better?

Comment

I dunno big guy--- I thought I put it out there when I said --- "Injures happen, and we have had an enormous amount in the last two years. I'm would hazard a guess more in the last two years than any other team has had." ----- guess this would make you feel better --- "Injures happen, and we have had an enormous amount in the last two years. I'm would hazard a guess more in the last two years than any other team has had."

That better?
                Yes!!

Comment

Have a good one Bud!!!

Comment

All of the above. Our O line needs upgraded. I know they like Pryor and the rugby star. Week 17 will be meaningless. Give them both a start along with Sudfeld. Let’s get them some game experience before the next preseason.

We need to upgrade our RBs. Clement has spent this season for the most part hurt. He was just getting his burst back and now he’s out once again. Ajayi might be back if he signs cheap on a one year deal. Adams is ok if they don’t try to run counters and sweeps. Between the tackles runner. Smallwood is just a guy.

I have no idea what to do with our DBs. A better scheme instead of playing 10 yards off receivers would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                      All of the above. Our O line needs upgraded. I know they like Pryor and the rugby star. Week 17 will be meaningless. Give them both a start along with Sudfeld. Let’s get them some game experience before the next preseason.

We need to upgrade our RBs. Clement has spent this season for the most part hurt. He was just getting his burst back and now he’s out once again. Ajayi might be back if he signs cheap on a one year deal. Adams is ok if they don’t try to run counters and sweeps. Between the tackles runner. Smallwood is just a guy.

I have no idea what to do with our DBs. A better scheme instead of playing 10 yards off receivers would be nice.
                      Or maybe we could ask the league for an exception and let us have 8 DB's in the game along with the front 7 at all times---- just cause we are sooooooooooooo bad. After all tyhey are still looking for parity aren't they!

Comment

That’s my exact list.

1. If you look at knee surgeries over the last 30 years or so, Adrian Peterson is the only skill player I’ve ever seen have a knee surgery and then have a good season the year after. It’s usually a 12-18 months rehab and training period to get back to 100%. He was off on so many of his throws in critical situations this season that he just needed more time.

2. I don’t think Howie and Joe did a good job in replacing glue guys who left in FA and they neglected the Oline which looked really old this year.

3. Injuries have catastrophic this year- Ajai and Sproles really hurt especially with letting Blount walk. Jernigan’s surgery, the secondary was a shell of last year and Jones got abused this year. PFF has us at 200 games lost two weeks ago which is a ton for a full season let alone after 11 games. Wallace was supposed to be that deep threat we needed. I could go on and on but you get the point.

4. Reich and DeFillippo were a lot bigger losses than anticipated. They had been with Doug for three years and were more instep with Doug than Groh and Duce were- they’ll be much better next year. Schwartz did as good a job as you can with a depleted secondary and Cox getting all the attention without Jernigan next to him- Ngata sucked. Kendrick’s was missed. Patterson was missed. The defense just didn’t have the polish to make 4th quarter stops like it did last year. And the tackling- eesh!!!! It was awful every single game. How many times did opposing WRs or RBs or TEs break a tackle for loss or short of the first down marker only to break it for a big game- it was maddening.

5. I can’t dpeak to the medical staff, I don’t know enough about how they can affect the injuries but it did seem like a ridiculous number.

I would like to add:

6. Elliott- he was as unreliable as any kicker I’ve seen in the NFL this year. They need to bring in a couple kickers to either push him or replace I him but either way, something needs to change.

We knew as the SB champs that the Eagles would get everyone’s best game and the Eagles would have to find some way to match them- and they didn’t. They were just “off” every game.

Comment

Or maybe we could ask the league for an exception and let us have 8 DB's in the game along with the front 7 at all times---- just cause we are sooooooooooooo bad. After all tyhey are still looking for parity aren't they!
                          I was gonna suggest similar but I didn’t wanna push it

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post

I really like that idea Ross and would strongly suggest the two lineman get some time before then, especially Pryor.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              I really like that idea Ross and would strongly suggest the two lineman get some time before then, especially Pryor.
                              I don’t want to risk the franchise playing if they are. Of course, he’s withstood a battering for the ages with our starting 5 in front of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X