Phillies Pick a CF and Catcher in Round 1 and 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies Pick a CF and Catcher in Round 1 and 2

I am a giant advocate of taking pitchers in the early rounds but what do I know? Chase Utley looks like a player huh?

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NA ... &fext=.jsp

06/07/2004 2:05 PM ET
    Phillies select speedy OF Golson
    High schooler's body type compared to R. Henderson
    By Ken Mandel / MLB.com

• Draft Central
    • Phillies draft picks

PHILADELPHIA -- Looking to rebuild from a position player standpoint, the Philadelphia Phillies selected high-school outfielder Greg Golson with their first selection in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft.
    Golson, a right-handed hitting center fielder hit .515 with four home runs, 26 RBIs and 18 steals for Connally High School in Texas.

His body type has been compared to Ricky Henderson, and he has been clocked from home-to-first at 3.8 seconds from the right side.

The Phillies, who didn't have a first-round pick in 2003, have had much success in years past, with Pat Burrell (199, Brett Myers (1999) and Chase Utley (2000) already in the Majors. Two others, Gavin Floyd (2001) and Cole Hamels (2002) are the organization's top two pitching prospects.

Ken Mandel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

They went on to select a LHP from Northwestern in the third round, a high school catcher in the 4th (2 Catchers in the first 4!) and a RHP college pitcher from Oregon State in the fifth.

Jaramillo - the Oklahoma State catcher taken in the 2nd round shows a lot of upside IMO!

Comment

MLB draft is the most underwhleming spectacle in sports. Bar none. There are almost no locks every year. Hopefully two or three of these guys can make the big leagues and contribute.

Comment

I think this sends a message to Marlon Byrd and Mike Lieberthal that they both suck donkey nads.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

More importantly BP - it sends a message to anyone down on the pharm at the C & OF positions that they need to step up if they want to stay in the organization. Catching has been a position of weakness in the org for some time and the lack of OF prospects (save the Lakewood sparkle right now with Bourn, Moran & Blalock) has been appalling.

Comment

Sorry - that last post was mine. Came on board from home last night and hadn't registered there.

Comment

Working...
            X