Thoughts on the Missile Strike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Missile Strike?

While I am in full agreement with Trumps," let's worry about America 1st policy" -- and becoming a bit less like the worlds policeman--- BUT ---- I also fully agree with the missile strike.

Using banned WMD (in this case sarin gas) can not be left unpunished. If this isn't stomped out and made clear to the world that this type of mass murder will not be tolerated---- millions could die! This guy (Assad) is a war criminal and should be treated as such.
    I am also aware of the vacuum this would create but --- He needs to go.

This also points out to me at least just how ineffective Obama was as a leader!

This also points out to me just how terrible the UN is. This is the type of thing that it was created for -- but they do nothing but hold talks and make "resolutions"..... It may be time for us to rethink the value of this organization!

Agree on all points MD. I guess that this also proves Trump isn't in bed with the Russians LOL. CNN of course found ways to throw Trump criticize the attack saying that he went against his statements that he would never get involved. Of course they forgot that Obama was going to get out of the mid East in 3 months. When guys get into the Presidency they all find out that things are not nearly as simple as they thought they were when they campaigned, especially foreign policy.

Isn't it refreshing to know that we are now doomed to join the thousand year war and will never be able to get out of it?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I have always told everyone----- stop worrying about what he sez or how crass he says it---- judge him on what he does!

Comment

I wholeheartedly support the strike. You can't let that chem weapons use go. But it stirs lots of question in my mind.
        Why did we have to do it? I think Assad has to go. I think he is a war criminal but why not Britain or Germany or Jordan or whoever? I thought we were going to worry about us and the rest of the world was going to have to step up. This isn't really a question because I know why but that isn't what he sold to the people. Where is his telling Saudi Arabia et al they have to go in and stop Assad.
        What is our policy? A week ago his administration said Syria is for Assad and Syria and Russia to decide; now he wants to strike. I understand seeing inhumanity and realizing it is on him now but he knew (or should have) about the inhumanity. That attack wasn't new. In fact he badgered Obama not to go into Syria. You can't just go by what he does and not what he says. Words matter.
        Are his rash decisions potentially dangerous? Maybe he is learning (and I believe he is) but moving forward with his travel ban before having a staff in place led to a bad decision. Taking the director of national intel and the chairman of the JCS off the NSC and putting Bannon on before he knew which door in the west wing went to the situation room was a rash decision that could have had a bad impact when deciding this missile strike. Fortunately the NSC was restructured to put those two men back on and take Bannon off. Those are actions not words and are only two examples but I would say there are others.
        President Trump has consistently derided our military capability since he was a candidate to get military votes and continues to do so today. The military is very close to my life and I will say it is not nearly as bad as he wants to make it out. For years and years we get equipment the military doesn't need or want solely because of politics and spending in congressional districts. The dollars he 'says' are needed aren't necessary. More is needed but surely not the numbers he is throwing around. The biggest problem is that troops are strung out. Have been since the first Iraq war and continue to be damn near 25 years later. Are there equipment issues--absolutely. There are shortages because of the wars. But there was a time when I signed off on combat readiness levels and we never, ever reported complete combat readiness because there are always things you need or want. So some of those shortages are built in just like spending all your money at the end of the year no matter what. Never, ever send money back and never, ever report full readiness. When someone says to me we have the smallest navy since WWII I ask them what their point is. My ships are faster than they have ever been, my airplanes are faster and more versatile than they have ever been. My destroyers can sit a looooong way away and throw cruise missiles at you and my planes can shoot you down from distances that were unimaginable a generation ago. This is getting too long but for a guy who says he doesn't telegraph things he does telegraph that the military isn't as capable as it should be which could lead another country to do something against us. He telegraphs that Syria isn't on our radar or that Russia isn't as bad as people make them out to be which could lead those countries to do things.
        So, while I liked seeing him act I would also like him to think before opening his mouth and before making decisions. I believe he is growing into that.
        BTW fully agree the UN SHOULD be able to do things but they have neutered themselves like so many other organizations in this world.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Unless we get a coalition involved further action should not even be considered. How are we going to handle the Russians? Congress has to be asked before any action should be continued. Students in Syria were protesting and saying Death to America yesterday. This sounds to me like another Mid East Civil War that we should stay the hell out of unless we can pay off Sadad to leave the country. I don't think any Americans want anymore wars, especially more of the 1000 year war that we are getting sucked into. Scandinavia has been hit the last couple of days. Until the whole world realizes we're in a world war I think that we just stay home.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

NoDak--- I'm not sure I could type that much unless I used a whole weekend. LOL

Here is why I say what I said and still believe.

1. This is not something new for one thing-- every candidate "sez" stuff that either never materializes or they change their mind... it just comes with the turf. Hmmm, you can keep your Doctors and your plans? Read my lips, No new taxes?

2. Trump is a "bluster" talker - What I mean is that he "sez" things in extremes, in absolutes and blusteriness (new word). I for one never took him to mean literally each word he said. I don't think anyone should, or should have. That is one of the things the alt left uses ALL the time-- he said he was "wiretapped" -- most rational normal thinking people new he meant and was referring to being "surveilled" in some way--- and it looks like he was (maybe Innocently and legally but maybe not), but he appears to be right. But the left won't move off the "word" wiretapped. Again literal Vs real speak.

3. He is different--- He is a different person, he is a different candidate and he is a non politician and a new "kind" of President. And quite frankly we people) can't decide what kind of president he "HAS" to be. He is going to do things from an entirely different and unique kind of way. He told us that, he has shown that , and that is part of the reason he was elected--- cause he did promise to do things differently! And he is!

4. I hated Obama.... but he was my president and I supported him. Trump is my president and I will support him! No, I won't agree with everything he does or sez--- but he got the job, and he gets to choose (within certain legalities) how he wants to do that job. Not the losing left, liberals.

5. As far as the military goes, quite frankly I don't see him talking out of both sides of his mouth. This military has gotten smaller and smaller and relies on Technology more and more and more--- so we better keep up and keep staying ahead of the curve, and IMM that requires paying attention to it and spending the money..... IMM our protection is job 1. Willl we over pay? Sure, we always have (but w/Trump, IMM, no as much), Will we waste? Sure again we always have---- and IMM that's ok. Rather waste and over pay and spend on Military than waste and overpay and get ripped off with entitlement programs and stinking pork for long time Senators and Congressmen.

6. Will he succeed? Dunno, but what I do know is that I hated the direction that this country was headed with the left and progressives in charge. Do I wish he would forgo so many Tweets? Yup, Do I wish he would be more careful in what and how he sez things? Probably.... but once again I really care what he does rather than what he sez.

Frankly I am very happy with what he has done and is doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Unless we get a coalition involved further action should not even be considered. How are we going to handle the Russians? Congress has to be asked before any action should be continued. Students in Syria were protesting and saying Death to America yesterday. This sounds to me like another Mid East Civil War that we should stay the hell out of unless we can pay off Sadad to leave the country. I don't think any Americans want anymore wars, especially more of the 1000 year war that we are getting sucked into. Scandinavia has been hit the last couple of days. Until the whole world realizes we're in a world war I think that we just stay home.
              I generally agree with this line of thinking---- there are things that, IMM, changes that rule of thumb. I hate the whole globalization thingie, I would love to see us worry about us first, just as Trump sez.
              The use of banned WMD and genocide is one of those things that is the exception to the rule for me. I was totally pissed that Obama did nothing when this happened before and I fully blame him for this happening now. But yes, the USA not worrying about or trying to be the policeman for the world is NOT an absolute. IMM, that is not a case of saying one thing and doing another, there are no, or at very least very few, absolutes!

Comment

Working...
              X