South by Southwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: South by Southwest

thanks betty. I'm going to start my plans now (first step - get approval from the Mrs. who might actually want to go.)

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
      thanks betty. I'm going to start my plans now (first step - get approval from the Mrs. who might actually want to go.)
      hotels don't book this far in advance (i think most book at most 330 days in advance), but it doesn't hurt to book a hotel as soon as they do allow for those dates. it won't cost you a dime even if you cancel 2 days before your stay. i say book the hotel room and hope that you can go. that's what i'm going to do.

we'll have to meet up if you make it.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, Betty (and thanks for asking, Steve!)!

I am definitely in for next year. I'll probably go with my son (who normally leads me to events like this!).

Thanks also for the tip about Black Mountain. I started listening to them today, based on your recommendation. I like the retro, natural sound of their music. It has a nice sixties feel to it.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

stock, how old is your son and is he single? if he's in his 20's and single, i would plan on spending some time alone since there were a lot of pretty women who seemed to be on the prowl. don't worry, though, you can always hang out with us married folk.

Comment

Thanks, Betty! He's 23, and I would be happy if he could find a nice girl. He's been down in the dumps since he broke off with his last gf.

I'm 57, but have somehow managed to keep my musical tastes up-to-date with the current scene. I think we are experiencing a very vibrant time in music, which is kind of under the radar for most people. Presently, there are many good groups producing some great original music. Somehow, the majority of young people today are latched onto the hip hop scene, which I guess is okay (but not my cup of tea), and are missing out on where the truly great music is originating. I think once we get beyond the Bush years, we'll see an outburst of cultural creativity. Can't wait!
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

stock, you are so right in that we are experiencing an exciting time in music. i think a lot of it has to do with technology making it so easy to find and hear about bands most people wouldn't have had access to before. in the last several years, i have been listening to a lot more new music than ever before in my life, even compared to when i was in college and living in nyc seeing bands 2-3 nights a week. it's incredible how much musicians and music lovers have taken advantage of the technology to get small bands noticed. now, if the evil big record companies would just move into the 21st century and learn how to use this technology and find innovative, cheaper ways for us to get music most people would stop stealing it.

Comment

As a rap fan, I can say with 100% conviction that the hip hop scene is fucking awful. I hope it just dies because hip hop today is an embarrassment. In my dreams, hip hop goes down in flames... and Rakim steps up and brings it back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by betty
                  Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                  I am interested in your takes on Atlas Sound, Black Mountain, Los Campesinos! and Yo La Tengo. YLT is a favorite of mine for years, but the first 3 I have gotten into only recently. Thanks!
                  all the bands i listed in my first post were all highlights. i saw many, many more bands than just that, but those were the ones who really stood out to me.

Atlas Sound were terrific. i much prefer them to Deerhunter, who i just don't get (seen them live and listened to one of their records).

Black Mountain kicked serious tushie -- they are incredibly talented musicians. they certainly stretched songs and can jam with the best of them.

Los Campesinos! are just a giant ball of energy and so much fun. however, i think if i had to see an entire concert of them, i might get a bit bored since all their songs begin to sound the same (they only played a 40 minute set).

YLT were also great, but i think they are the most inconsistent of the bunch. i just think that their songs are all over the map and i don't like quite a few. however, they mostly played stuff i dig and also stretched out and jammed quite a bit. they reminded me of the velvet underground quite a bit.
                  Nice! Thanks betty!

I agree that attending SXSW is a great idea.

Here are some other fun new releases I have heard recently or will be released soon:

The Ruby Suns: Sea Lion
                  Joe Jackson: Rain
                  The Gutter Twins: Saturnalia
                  Bill Frisell: History, Mystery
                  Grand Archives: Grand Archives (Band of Horses fans may like them)
                  Aloha: Light Works
                  Fleet Foxes: Sun Giant EP (Full-length coming soon)
                  Stephen Duffy & Lilac Time: Runout Groove
                  Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey: Lil Tae Rides Again
                  Vandermark 5: Beat Reader
                  The Woods Brothers: Loaded
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                  X