• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utley Resigns.........

Newlywed Utley ties knot with Phillies

By Todd Zolecki

Inquirer Staff Writer
    Candlesticks, as anybody who has seen Bull Durham would know, make a fine wedding gift.

But the Phillies skipped the candlesticks yesterday and instead wrapped up second baseman Chase Utley, who was married Saturday, with a seven-year, $85 million contract extension that will keep him in Philadelphia through 2013. Utley, 28, will make $4.5 million this season, $7.5 million next season, $11 million in 2009 and $15 million in each of the next four years.

The contract includes a $2 million signing bonus, plus award and performance bonuses and a partial no-trade clause, which will allow Utley to choose a handful of teams that he could block in a trade each season.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/5295111.html

Re: Utley Resigns.........

A partial no-trade clause? Is that normal?

Glad to see they locked up the best player in baseball.

Now they just need to trade Ryan Howard for an ace pitcher and the Phils will win the Series.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg

Now they just need to trade Ryan Howard for an ace pitcher and the Phils will win the Series.
      I think that is fairly routine for players of his status.

Hey now that Howard is starting to get hot is NOT the time to trade him. Can we trade him every April and get him back in the middle of May each year?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN

Hey now that Howard is starting to get hot is NOT the time to trade him. Can we trade him every April and get him back in the middle of May each year?
        Now that he is starting to get hot is the perfect time to trade him. This team can hit without Howard in the lineup. They desperately need at least one more good starter for the rotation. If you can get a legit stud pitcher for Howard, then you have to pull the trigger.
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Now that he is starting to get hot is the perfect time to trade him. This team can hit without Howard in the lineup. They desperately need at least one more good starter for the rotation. If you can get a legit stud pitcher for Howard, then you have to pull the trigger.
          Never happen, and disagree with the timing -- trade him off season(if that is what you want to do) after he has hit another 40 HR's and 100 Rbi's -- that's when his trade value would be at max.

Comment

Sorry, Kevin McHale is not a GM in MLB.

It's nice that Howard is starting to rebound a bit but the inconsistency is killing me. Unless you can get a proven ace, you don't trade him. That being said, no one is dumb enough to take on a 28? yo slugger with strikeout problems for an ace.

The Rays and Marlins hot start means people understand that it's better to go young and cheap.

Comment

Is this new info? I thought he got married and signed in the off season and then I look and the link is for an article from January. Just a little confused about the thread.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
                Is this new info? I thought he got married and signed in the off season and then I look and the link is for an article from January. Just a little confused about the thread.
                Bingo! Just a little a attempt at some off season humor.

Guess nobody saw the humor but me................ sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X