X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

run the damn ball
    www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

[quote=Leonard Tose][quote="Vote for Kalas":01888][quote="Leonard Tose":01888]
      Originally posted by stevemc
      Originally posted by "Vote for Kalas":01888
      Again, I guess I am still perplexed why people still are debating this topic...the play call as fine IMO, but the execution was not good enough. If we run, it is no more of a gaurantee that we succeed.
      You shouldn't be perplexed why the debate is occurring. You say the play call was fine - I say it was horrible. Therein lies the reason for debate. Reid ALWAYS say it's his responsibility to put the people in a position to make plays. I suggest he failed to do it in this situation. VFK - much like me, you're a pragmatist IMO. On 3rd and inches (we're not talking a yard or a yard and a half) but inches - wouldn't you say the "bye the book" call when assessing %'s calls for a sneak/run there?

It's our first possession of the second half. We're down 4 points, your defense just stopped the Cowboys after 4 plays and you've been losing the TOP battle. You have an opportunity to gain some of that TOP back. Remember that the play before this - there was an offsides that took it from 3rd & 5 to 3rd and inches. The result of the incomplete pass play was that we held onto the ball for a total of 1:19 seconds. At some point - even if it's inches, you have to maintain drives and move the chains. Prior to this - the offense didn't have a possession longer than 7 plays. You go with the high % play here based on the circumstances.

ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

there are so many reasons to run the ball for a first down that it's astounding that some find it perplexing. i agree completely with the TOP argument here.

but i think there's more to it. football is a game where a championship contender is able to impose its will from time to time in a game. if you can't run for short yardage, you're saying you can't run in a big spot. if you can't run in a big spot, defenses will not respect the run.

by throwing there, Reid conceded he didnt have enough confidence in his o-line to hand it off or sneak, IMO. it wasn't that he saw some opportunity or a hole in the defense. he didn't think he could get it except by passing, so he asked his QB to deliver again.

those concessions add up over the course of a year, bringing self-doubt to the offense and prompting opposing defenses to concentrate fully on stopping the passing game.

it's a tribute to mcnabb how he is able to flourish despite the Eagles putting everything, and i mean everything, on his shoulders. it would be so nice to take it off of his back for once.[/quote:01888]

No offense, LT, but some of this is silly...I think you need to watch less NFL Films...

Was the QB sneak at the goal line not a big play in a big spot?? Well, the Eagles PROVED they could do it just like they have other times in other games this year...

That has nothing to do with the 3rd and inches we are discussing....each situation is different and has its own context...it says nothing about Reid's confidence in his runnin game IMO; he simply felt a pass would have worked better in that context and that passing is what this offense does best...NOT that they cannot run, but that they pass best.

Again, if LJ catches it, no one complains...wait for it, MD....EXECUTION! [/quote:01888]

let's boil it down to simple math, then -- McNabb's completion percentage is 58.5 this year. Nearly 6 in 10 throws are completions.

what's the percentage of converting 3rd and inches with a run? I'd guess it's in the 90s.

this was not a "choice" by Reid, IMO. this was a fundamental lack of confidence.[/quote:01888]

Well, you would have to actually analyze his completion rate on that route, with that reciever and in that distance/down context to be fully accurate...

I have no idea what the % is for runs in that context, but have already agreed above that I would have run if I was Reid and that it is the % play most likely...

Does not change my argument however...if they execute the play properly, they pick up the 1st down and keep driving...McNabb threw it too hard and LJ dropped it...

Again, as Blitz said above, Reid has always gone his own way and never done things by the book and I love him for that. A downside of that, if you look at it that way which I do not, is that occasionally the execution will not be good enough to implement his game plan and/or individual play calls...the upside, of course, is that we have the NFL's #1 offense and are shredding teams...
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

VFK - thanks for the feedback. The one thing I'd refute is your remark about the team playing well when ahead and Reid's attempt to pile it on. I'd say that we have pulverized the QB of two division rivals in two very important games, taken on the strike quick, pass 1st philosophy that has resulted in the game coming down to the last play to decide things. We lost one, we won one. Both of them were at home. A little more ball control and clock management IMO negates both nail biting endings.

Regardless - point well taken. I'm ecstatic with the win and simply see an opportunity while still at 4-1 to improve drastically. Reid harps on putting players in the best position and so I'm making suggestions as to how. It's a fun exercise.

Comment

[quote=Leonard Tose]
          Originally posted by "Vote for Kalas":0927c
          I guess I am not that eager to complain about one play when we won the game and showed alot of great things on the field far more important than this...

I agree with you there. Was a great game.

Still, it was slightly disappointing the Cowboys hung around til the end even though Bledsoe was getting the crap kicked out of him and McNabb was playing great.

I think that's directly because of a few crucial plays, including the L.J. Smith non-tackle on Ware and the no-call on Ware's blatant hold of Smith on the second possession that ended with the FG.

The horrible 3rd-and-inches playcall didn't help either, though I wouldn't argue that was a crucial play.[/quote:0927c]

Dallas is a very good team...teams like that are going to hang around and will not back down...they have a HOF coach, very good talent and good schemes...I think, more than being upset with the Eagles, one needs to tip the hat to Dallas...

I agree the Ware turnover should not have been a TD, but he made the play and ran it in. LJ deserves criticism, but Ware deserves kudos for a very good play too IMO.

It is still early in the season; our team is still coming together while dealing with alot of injuries and the hype of this game...I think they did pretty well overall and am excited, like Steve, to see if we finally can get all our weapons on the field together for a stretch of time.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
            VFK - thanks for the feedback. The one thing I'd refute is your remark about the team playing well when ahead and Reid's attempt to pile it on. I'd say that we have pulverized the QB of two division rivals in two very important games, taken on the strike quick, pass 1st philosophy that has resulted in the game coming down to the last play to decide things. We lost one, we won one. Both of them were at home. A little more ball control and clock management IMO negates both nail biting endings.

Regardless - point well taken. I'm ecstatic with the win and simply see an opportunity while still at 4-1 to improve drastically. Reid harps on putting players in the best position and so I'm making suggestions as to how. It's a fun exercise.
            Your take has validity Steve...I disagree with some of it, but yes Reid and the Eagles are not perfect and certainly could be more diversified and better in some facets of the game...

I would put more blame on the D for the Giants game and certainly Dallas never had a prayer of taking us into OT if Lewis did not get burned and be forced to foul...

I would also blame LJ for not tackling Ware which led to a TD...but Ware made a nice play.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Understood but you can always point to both sides of the ball. If we run the clock more, the Cowboys don't have that last possession either. Good exchange - thanks!

Comment

Nice try at the last zinger, but the same could be said if we execute better and score more points, that last possession would not mean squat...

The clock don't matter...scoreboard does IMO.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Didn't mean a zinger if you took it that way. No doubt - you score more, you win!

Comment

Working...
                  X