I thought McDermott did a Great Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought McDermott did a Great Job

I think I'm in the minority, but i'm under the impression sean did a good job, overall this season, with what he had to work with.

Is it Sean's fault they believe in undersized / quick Dlineman and LB's

Is it Sean's fault they did not accurately asses the Safety position

Is it Sean's fault the team is terrible at tackling

In the parts of the game I saw, I saw a defense change at the last minute, trying its best to confuse, I saw blitzes from DB's and LB's, I saw 3 man line go to 5 - I like what I saw, and if that side of the ball actually had talent, I endorse McDermott going forward.

I think there is an art to blitzing - some players do it well and some players in the back end can take that responsibility. With JJ early on, you knew it was coming and it was still effective. I dont know how to get back to that.

There was a stretch where McDermott got owned by Jason Garrett. But overall, I can't say McDermott had much to work with this year.

Comment

Here again is where a schematic/philosophical shift of sorts might help. The pass-rushing "fastballs" that the Eagles like to throw are great when they hit the mark. They need a blend of different types of players IMO. Bigger DE's and DT's to allow multiple combinations of size and speed.

Comment

I sort of agree, but at the same time I can't remember JJ's defenses ever getting repeatedly rolled like this.

I'll chalk it up to being his freshman year, and hope that he continues to grow as a coordinator.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
          I sort of agree, but at the same time I can't remember JJ's defenses ever getting repeatedly rolled like this.

I'll chalk it up to being his freshman year, and hope that he continues to grow as a coordinator.
          YES! and JJ's D's had (deserving) PRO BOWL PLAYERS - ofcourse their not going to get rolled - their just going to come up small in "big games"

Comment

Look, the defense was mangled at an already mediocre LB position and the safeties either were godawful or regressed.

McDermott has talent and outside of the last two weeks did well. If Reid and Banner and Howie Handjob can bring in some defensive talent via FA and the Draft, the defense should be much better.

Comment

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
              YES! and JJ's D's had (deserving) PRO BOWL PLAYERS - ofcourse their not going to get rolled - their just going to come up small in "big games"

Had, or MADE Pro Bolw Players? Because it has been repeated ad nausem that no one that leaves the Eagles to go to another team is as successful.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
                I personally think it was Jim Johnson's schemes that made most of the Eagles' defensive Pro Bowl players in recent years into Pro Bowl players, rather than stand out talent.

Comment

Is there an echo in here?

Comment

Is there an echo in here?
                    Hey, great minds think alike at the exact same time.

Comment

Had, or MADE Pro Bolw Players?
                      Touche

But what were his schemes
                      - let Vincent and Taylor off on a island blanket their guys
                      - let Hugh Douglas beat his man one on one
                      - let Dawk go crazy
                      - have trotter constantly get pressure up the middle
                      - have carlos emmons take out the opposing teams TE

I hear what your saying, interesting topic, did JJ recognize their talent levels and built schemes accordingly? But I also dont know with THIS CURRENT DEFENSE, who has the talent that is not being utilized? and DO NOT SAY sheldon to safety or Gocong with his hand in the dirt

Comment

JJ's defenses were pretty darned good even after the likes of Vincent and Taylor and Douglas were gone. In fact, one could largely credit our defense for our turn around, saving our season just last year.

But hey, I'm not here to dump on Sean. First year, new guy, new schemes and ideas. And some pieces to put in place that perhaps just never fit, including key losses. JJ always had an All Pro safety. Sean had nothing resembling that. JJ played with a shuffled deck of jokers at LB many seasons, but he always had that great safety.

Comment

mcdermott was fine and i will leave it at that.
                          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I have no problem with Sean, I think Witherspoon will be fine,but he came in and I'm pretty sure he never picked up all there is to learn about this D. Tracy,Fokoi,Jordan, Gocong and Mays all played for short stretches. Hell, all that needs to be said about the state of the Lbs is a guy named Wilhelm and a retired guy played MLB this year.Don't forget Bradley was playing at a near PB level last season. Jones, Demps, and Harris played S. 2 guys in year 1 of a complicated system ,1 in his first season at the position and the third guy in only his second year in the league.1 of the CB rotation lost to injury and 1 MIA for a 4 game stretch.He deserves a pass for the lack of a cohesive unit.
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                            X