No announcement yet.

Cobb not too thrilled with Watkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watkins had better step it up, quickly. He's a 27 year old rook, no time for a big learning curve. I'm seeing pretty lousy play from him right now, he has no idea who to pick up.

NFL blocking schemes can be pretty complicated. I hope he's a quick study.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

So did it go well, or didn't it go well? I'm so confused.

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/01/11/Wa...972&feedID=692

Watkins' requested start vs. Jets goes well
      EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Danny Watkins, chatting with friends as he waited to board the Eagles team bus Thursday night, paused to exchange greetings with a police officer, then a guy wearing a blue “FDNY” T-shirt.

Watkins, once a volunteer firefighter, seemed to be in his element.

It is more difficult to assess the rookie’s comfort level on the field. The first-round draft pick from Baylor started the preseason-ending 24-14 victory over the Jets at right guard, and played the first quarter. He had said a few days ago that he requested that he play in the game, normally reserved for backups, but coach Andy Reid said afterward that he had planned to play Watkins anyway.

Either way, Watkins said, “It was good. I was looking forward to it. The more playing time I can get, the better.”

He is, after all, “trying to make up for lost time,” as he said.

“With the lockout and holdout, I wanted to get him caught up on just reps,” said Reid, who said he plans to start Watkins when the Eagles open their season on Sept. 11 in St. Louis. “I thought he needed that. It was good to get him in and he wanted to work, so that was a plus.”

On the Eagles’ first possession Jets linebacker Aaron Maybin shot the gap between Watkins and center Mike McGlynn, and hurried a throw by quarterback Vince Young. And later in the period Jets defensive tackle Marcus Dixon stood up Watkins at the line of scrimmage and stopped Dion Lewis for no gain.

But Watkins fared much better on the next two plays, gains of nine and 13 yards by Lewis over the right side. And in all Watkins thought his stint beneficial.

“Just seeing different defensive fronts like this where it’s changing and you have to prepare for it, it’s good,” he said. “Throughout the season we’re going to see different looks and this is good experience just getting ready for that.”

As Reid said, “It’s just a matter of playing. The more reps he gets, the better he gets. That’s why he played this evening. He did a real nice job against Pittsburgh (in the second preseason game). He came back last week (against Cleveland), and made a couple mistakes. Tonight he did a real nice job again.”

Lewis, the fifth-round pick from Pitt, had 15 carries for 62 yards while playing just the first half. He also had three catches for 38, and returned two kickoffs for 57.

The Eagles as a team rushed 16 times for 67 yards in the first half, but managed just 57 yards on 27 carries thereafter.

“When you give a guy who has that much talent a hole and an opportunity to run, you know he’s going to do good things,” Watkins said of Lewis. “The offensive line, we were clicking in the run game and it’s good to see he was able to get through those holes like that.”

For more from Gordie, check out his blog.

Comment

I thought Watkins had a tough first series. After that, I thought he got better. To be honest, his mistakes so far seem more mental than physical, so unlike Cobb, I'm not ready to panic yet...I think Cobb is overstating his case.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          That's great Blitz. Now it's Cobb's fault that Watkins sucks.
          Watkins doesn't suck. He made a couple mistakes early and recovered nicely.

It's Cobb's fault that Cobb sucks. The guy throws crap against the wall and prays to his God that it sticks. If I jumped into a puddle of gasoline and someone lit a match and Cobb told me I was on fire, I would double check.
          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
            Watkins doesn't suck. He made a couple mistakes early and recovered nicely.

It's Cobb's fault that Cobb sucks. The guy throws crap against the wall and prays to his God that it sticks. If I jumped into a puddle of gasoline and someone lit a match and Cobb told me I was on fire, I would double check.
            I guess that you have your reasons for not liking the guy. He was a good player and came from the trenches so I value his opinion.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              I guess that you have your reasons for not liking the guy. He was a good player and came from the trenches so I value his opinion.

People have totally blanked on the fact that Cobb used to play. Shoot, the Eagles traded Wilbert for him.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Yes, when Wilbert was washed up.
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                  Yes, when Wilbert was washed up.

Cobb was a good linebacker.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                    No need to hit the panic button. You can't expect too much out of a rookie. Just give him some time.
                    AR is an expert at time management,we're fine there.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                    X