Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jets Announcers Don't Understand NFL Rules (Defenseless Receiver)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets Announcers Don't Understand NFL Rules (Defenseless Receiver)

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...tand-nfl-rules

Jets Announcers Don't Understand NFL Rules

Perhaps you can blame the NFL for changing these rules so much recently, but I'm still amazed at how many people do not understand what exactly constitutes an illegal hit now. Take this hit on Riley Cooper in the final preseason game.

The Jets announcer doesn't believe it should be a penalty because the Jets DB did not lead with his helmet. In previous years, that might have been true. However, now it is not. Here are the two elements of the new rule that make that hit a textbook case of a personal foul.

A defenseless receiver is one attempting or completing a catch without having time to ward off or avoid contact. CHECK.

A defenseless receiver can not be hit above the shoulders. CHECK

So to put it logic form. IF a receiver is defenseless AND you hit said receiver above the shoulders THEN it is illegal.

There's really not even a question as to whether that was an illegal hit and frankly someone calling an NFL game should know that. It's one thing to disagree with the rule and feel that such a hit should not be illegal. However, it's not defensible as an announcer to simply not know the rule and still think the only illegal hits are ones made with the helmet.

I do not agree with the rule, but yes the announcers are largely idiots now and get rules wrong all the time
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

If you thoroughly scoured all the 'professional announcers' (play-by-play and color) who do NFL games, either for the networks or for local channels, I seriously doubt that you would find 15 (out of approximately 100?) who put genuine effort into keeping up to date on the rules.

It's a result of just plain laziness and a lack of professional pride...or, like Joe Theismann, laziness and stupidity.
      Last edited by tinopuno; 09-04-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Personally I agree with the rule. However, as a DB I can aim for a guys chest and he comes down early or differently and I hit him higher than I planned. On this one it looks like the DB could easily have going for the Cooper's chest. But the determining factor IMM has to be leaving your feet to launch yourself into the player.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
          Personally I agree with the rule. However, as a DB I can aim for a guys chest and he comes down early or differently and I hit him higher than I planned. On this one it looks like the DB could easily have going for the Cooper's chest. But the determining factor IMM has to be leaving your feet to launch yourself into the player.
          For the most part this "lauching stuff" is a crock of crap. These guys need momentum to make hits. They always look bad in slow motion. It's a violent play and even though the DB is initiating the contact he still needs to defend himself too. A DB going for the ball is going to be up around a guys head no matter what. It's dangerous and I agree there needs to be rules to protect receivers, but I am at a loss as to how to do it.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I hate to defend the announcer but I think you have to keep two things in mind when discussing his comments:

1. It's the pre-season so they're going to make mistakes just like the players and in Reid's case, the coaches.

2. These are not the best announcers calling these games. If Joe or Troy said this it would be a concern, but some twit hired by the Jets who is on par with Don Tolefson? It's hard to expect too much from these guys, they're basically idiots with a microphone.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
            X