Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brits have SOME NERVE!!

London's mayor wants an NFL team and the Super Bowl

The NFL's experiment with regular season games played in England will continue in 2018, with three October contests to be played at Wembley Stadium and Tottenham Hotspur's new arena in North London. Sadiq Khan, London's mayor, doesn't seem satisfied with that, Matt Bonesteel of the Washington Post reports.

"My ambition is to have more American football games in London and ultimately for there to be a franchise and, dare I say it, even the Super Bowl," Khan said in an interview with Talksport.

Tottenham Hotspur's 62,000-seat stadium, scheduled to open in August, is being built with facilities that are directly designed to support American football, with locker rooms constructed to fit U.S. teams and an artificial-turf field underneath the stadium's retractable natural-grass pitch. The NFL contributed $13.3 million toward its nearly $600 million construction cost, according to Sports Illustrated. If any team were to relocate to England, it would seemingly play its home games there.

"Obviously once Spurs open up their stadium that will give us the potential to have more games there but I'm ambitious - the idea is to have eight games in London eventually, which is the number a franchise team plays and then who knows, maybe one day the Super Bowl," Khan said.

The obstacles to both would be numerous. For one, there doesn't seem to be an NFL team that's in danger of relocating at the moment, especially to an area of the globe that would present such logistical challenges. For another, television networks would be loath to move the Super Bowl kickoff any earlier than its 6:30 Eastern start time, which would mean the game would get going at 11:30 p.m. local time in England.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

All about the $$$ as usual, but I see these London games as bad for the NFL's fans. First, the early morning games stink from a TV standpoint. And, more important, some poor team's fans are going to have to sacrifice one of the 8 home games they get per year. It stinks.

I know the league office loves the idea of London games, and they'd probably love a team in London. But, that sports utopianism is smashed by the realities of logistics. 3 time zones is about as far as you can go in this league. West coast teams are already trying to change league policy because they feel the early East coast starts are too hard on them. And the league wants London?

C'mon Roger.

Comment

Super Bowl in London? Might as well put a bullet in the game.

Comment

Let the Brits start their own league. If they get good enough, that would lead to a Super Super Bowl. More revenue all around, that makes everyone smile.

Comment

Everything about it is stupid.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
            Let the Brits start their own league. If they get good enough, that would lead to a Super Super Bowl. More revenue all around, that makes everyone smile.

They tried football over there once and it fell on it's face. Let them chase their little rubber ball all over hell and pretend it's football and leave us alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              They tried football over there once and it fell on it's face. Let them chase their little rubber ball all over hell and pretend it's football and leave us alone.
              I agree with the leave us alone. Time to end this experiment

Comment

Unfortunately it ain't ending and will include Mexico City with a franchise and wanting the SB. Best case scenario is that it doesn't happen in my lifetime.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  Unfortunately it ain't ending and will include Mexico City with a franchise and wanting the SB. Best case scenario is that it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

By that time you won't be able to tell the difference between football and soccer anyway.

Comment

Send them the Browns. Nobody will care.

Comment

Working...
                    X