Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody want this WR as our #1??

He has a peak year with the following stats:

69 recepts, 1409 yds, 20.4 avg and 13 TDs.???

All right, Dutch, who is it????
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Damn you dutchie!! At first I was thinking it was Larry Fitzgerald but the number of receptions was too low. Then I tried to remember who has recently had 1400 yard seasons with so few catches. I finally gave up and looked it up. You bastard!! Is he thinking of suiting up this season? If he is I think I'll have to say no, Mike is no longer quick!
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Damn, what I wouldn't give to have DMac throwing deep to that guy! The Dallas safeties would get burned all day!
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”

Comment

Ya got me, naturally I am pulling a bait and switch on you here.

Those stats are from the best year of Mike Quicks career. He approximated that again two years later (83 and 85). I also revised Tommy McDonalds best year, 61 when he and Jurgenson were on fire, to give us even more perspective on Reggie's potential.

Now the switch:

Reggie Brown in the five game stretch (games 3-7) without Donte.

Reggie (5 game stretch): 22, 446, 20.3 and 4

Reggie 16 game estimate: 70, 1427, 20.3, 13

Mike Quick (83 best year): 69, 1409, 20.4, 13

Tommy McDonald (16 rev.): 73, 1307, 17.9, 15

I used these stats a while back but didn't realize how close they were to Mike's and Tommy McD's all-time bests. Not to knock Donte, who I want to keep, but if we do lose him the sky is not falling down folks. I caught flack here last off-season for being so high on Reggie's ability to step up in his second year. Fact is when given the chance (lets overlook how well he also played down the stretch and in the post-season for now) step up he did.

I think I am suffering from Off-Season Frustataitis!!!

Comment

That was a nice 4 game stretch, but I don't think its fair to project that over a season. I bet we could do that to Quick's and McDonald's years and get even better numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf
              That was a nice 4 game stretch, but I don't think its fair to project that over a season. I bet we could do that to Quick's and McDonald's years and get even better numbers.
              In this case it was a 5 game not a 4 game stretch (SF, GB, Dal, NO, TB). It also was the only time that he had this year as the #1 WR. He got more looks but also more attention from the Ds. He held up very well when it counted, ie when Donte went down. To his credit he also stepped it up and played very well down the stretch when we were in the "gotta win em all" mode and then again in the post-season. Even Baskett's nice big game against the Atlanta first teamers when we sat Donte and Reggie et al has some merit in such a prognostication because it further supports the ability in this offense of other WRs such as Reggie and Hank to step up and put up excellent numbers when they are used as the #1.

Last off-season as one of Reggie's strongest supporters, I was forcasting that as a #1WR he should step up his record setting Eagles roookie year and hit around 70/1200/10+. So yes, I think it is very fair to project this over a season.

The key thing that so many fans are missing is that when the pressure was up, so was Reggie's game. That's a great trait to have in a young second year WR. It's one of the reasons he reminds me so much of Mike Quick when he was young. I am going to give the numbers in another way now. First I will repeat the earlier info for his 5 game stretch when Donte was injured and Reggie had to carry the load. Two, I will give you his numbers down the stretch (last 4 games excl. Atlanta)when the presure was immense and he was only our #2 option behind Donte. Third I will give you his two post-season performances, again of course as only our #2. That's 10 games in all, all under pressure and 6 of them in a row as the #2. Lets see if his early season trend is a "blip" as you seem to feel, or was it a harbinger of his growing maturity as our best home-grown WR since Quick.

Reggie (4 games early) 22, 446, 4 TDs

Reggie (4 games late) 15, 256, 2

Reggie (2 games post) 10, 149, 0

Reggie (10 games cumul.) 47, 851, 6

Reggie (16 games project.) 75, 1361, 10

Can you acknowledge that in the 10 most important games of the year, most of them as our #2 Reggie has shown enough over those 10 games to project an excellent Mike Quick/Tommy McDonald performance ability if he were to be used as a #1 for 16 games? I wonder how many of Donte's supporters who keep repeating that his nmumbers would be so much better if he could only stay healthy for 16 games are willing to admit that Reggie has performed at least as well already. IMO he outperforms Donte (who I repeat, I want back).

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
                The key thing that so many fans are missing is that when the pressure was up, so was Reggie's game.
                Liked the kid's attitude from the get-go, and I'm a homer, but DAMN, that's good to hear!!!
                — Michael Strahan

Comment

with a receiving threat like Westbrook at HB and a TE like LJ Smith....our WR's should have room to do a great job.

we showed that when Donte missed those 4 games. Anybody put in that slot did well. (Hank, Greg Lewis and even a little Avant)

does Donte deserve credit for what he did? absolutely. Would I love to have him back? Hell yes. But is he that important that losing him slows down this offense? Not IMHO

BTW, I love Reggie and have no regrets with my Reggie Brown jersey purchase last summer

Comment

IMO one of the best things Stallworth brings to the table is his speed. If we loss him I think we have to replace that deep threat in the draft.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I think you also have to consider the quality of the defenses on that 5 game stretch.

But, more importantly, it's not the guy's regular season stats that I am concerned with. I agree totally that Brown is developing into a good WR. But, I am more concerned with what happens in the playoffs, when the defenses are better, and losing ends the season. I don't think losing Donte is going to tank us by a long shot, but I would prefer to have him on the field, especially the playoffs. It seems that it's not during the regular season that not having good WRs has bitten us in the past, it's been in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                        I think you also have to consider the quality of the defenses on that 5 game stretch.

But, more importantly, it's not the guy's regular season stats that I am concerned with. I agree totally that Brown is developing into a good WR. But, I am more concerned with what happens in the playoffs, when the defenses are better, and losing ends the season. I don't think losing Donte is going to tank us by a long shot, but I would prefer to have him on the field, especially the playoffs. It seems that it's not during the regular season that not having good WRs has bitten us in the past, it's been in the playoffs.
                        2006 Playoffs

Donte: 6, 141, 2

Reggie 10, 149, 0

Doesn't seem like either of them laid down in the post-season. Unlike their predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
                          Originally posted by Eaglebreath

2006 Playoffs

Donte: 6, 141, 2

Reggie 10, 149, 0

Doesn't seem like either of them laid down in the post-season. Unlike their predecessors.
                          Totally agree, which is why I'd really like to have Stallworth back next season.

Comment

Working...
                          X