What's my age again??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's my age again??

To pass the time til draft day......post you age and an acknowledgment of when you think that time was that you "jumped the shark" LOL!

I was out wakeboarding this weekend, and a reminded this morning of just how old I am getting. I never used to get these freakin pains all over. About a month ago, I got into a fight and slammed this guy behind his ear....my second knuckle swelled up like a golf ball, and now tho the swelling went down, I think I have a bone chip floating around in there. Brittle bones, perhaps? Again, the day after I found myself asking, "I won that fight, right?"

The spirit is willing but the body is no longer able.....

FRESH - Age - 37.
    Approx Shark Jump, age 35.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

I tore my Achilles tendon in my leg playing softball when I was 38. I did it because I didn't stretch out enough when the weather got cold during the game. Following that I developed plantar fasciitis in my foot from being immobile for so long. It took over 6 months for the Achilles injury to heal and another year for the foot injury to completely heal. I can no longer play sports that involve running.

Jukin - Age 43.
    Officially jumped the shark on June 16, 2002 at the ripe old age of 38.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Age 52 / ran 3.8 miles this morning however I can't remember when I "jumped the shark" actually. Never needed reading glasses until about age 46.
      I was in better shape at 40 then I was at 30 though.
      Of course I still keep a wife that is 14 years younger pretty happy, although not as frequently.

I had to "google the shark" to find out what "jumping the shark' meant.

Jumping the shark is a metaphor that was originally used to denote the tipping point at which a TV series is deemed by a viewer to have passed its peak, or has introduced plot twists that are illogical in terms of everything that has preceded them. Once a show has "jumped the shark," the viewer senses a noticeable decline in quality or feels the show has undergone too many changes to retain its original charm. The term has also evolved to describe other areas of pop culture, including movie series, music, acting celebrities, or authors for whom a drastic change was seen as the beginning of the end. These changes are often attempts to attract their fans' waning attention with over-the-top statements or increasingly overt appeals to sex or violence. Some have broadened its use to simply describe any decline in appeal for the subject in question, without requiring a significant "jump the shark" moment[1]The term derives from an episode of Happy Days, where Fonzie jumped over a shark on water skis.[2][3][4]

Comment

Obviously I borrowed the phrase and adapted it to this topic.

I still run, and swim, and do a lot of active things, but there comes a time when you realize "I'm no spring chicken anymore", when you have pains that didn't used to be there, you notice your quickness or reflexes are no longer on the upswing and have begun to deteriorate, etc.

Dutch talks about strength training, and that is something you can gain, even as you get older, but certain things such as flexibity and joint issues are not so easy to keep up. I can IMPROVE my flexibiliy thru certain stretching techniques, exercises, etc, but when I was a younger man, I didn't even have to worry about that stuff. I could kick ass all day, and bang ass all night, get up tomorrow and do it again, LOL!
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Probably the day that I was at a surfing lesson, I was 37.....and the instructor mentioned that he was 20. And I remembered a couple of good days that I had at the beach wayyyyy back when I was 20.
          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I'm 43, and I'd say I jumped the shark around 40.

Comment

Interesting thread....

I am 45. I learned ice hockey for the first time at 38, and have been playing on a team year round ever since (with mostly 30 and 40 year olds)..

I am in the best shape that I have been in about 20 years.

The sad point to this story, is that no matter how good my skating has become, or no matter how good of shape I am in, the 18-22 year old kids are going to beat me to the puck almost every time.

You can work to get the strength and stamina. But, there is simply no way to match the speed and quickness of youth

Too bad we don't have a 35 and over league.

Comment

I'm 34 and I need surgery for a bulging disc in my neck between c5-6. I was in the best shape of my life (or 30s) at least before it happened.

Now I have numb hands and feet and walk with a limp.

It sucks getting old.
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Well, nice to see it's not just me. Funny, it seems to hit us at around the same age, and that helps you understand why these football players, who take MORE punishment, start breaking down at such an early age. Early 30's seems to be the end of the road for most of them, and at that point their most productive years are behind them. Just the "human condition" huh?

Hey, I might be able to go out and run a mile in 5:47. But, you think I can sprint and change direction and respond with catlike quick responses anymore??? Hell no. Damn I miss being able to play soccer. I mean REALLY being able to play.

Comment

Ummm, I just turned 23 a couple of weeks ago :P
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                      Ummm, I just turned 23 a couple of weeks ago :P
                      21 is by far the best age there is...

I don't even have the money to afford a motorcycle so there is no way I've jumped the shark yet!
                      Member of the Mike Bartrum Fan Club

Comment

Im 37, and I definitely jumped the shark in a most Arthur Fonzarelli way this year...I hired a new assistant who was born the year I graduated high school...YIKES.

Comment

lots of people born in 1969 huh?

I'm 37 as well. I don't even know what the fuck jumping the shark is. Can you even jump while in deep water?

....but I think it happened once I became a Dad for the 2nd time. Less free time, less working out, etc. Started aging quickly

I still hold my own in Softball games and play much better hoops than many 20 year olds. But I'm not as swift as I used to be, my eyesight is starting to go down from the ole 20/20 I had for 35 years and I am nearing that 200lb mark for the first time in my life

I'm starting to refer to my recent hires on my team as "kids"

My two girls friends address me as Mr.

so.....as sad as it is to admit.....I guess I jumped that freakin shark about 7 years ago (when my second was born) I was a young shark jumper, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20
                            lots of people born in 1969 huh?

I'm 37 as well. I don't even know what the fuck jumping the shark is. Can you even jump while in deep water?

....but I think it happened once I became a Dad for the 2nd time. Less free time, less working out, etc. Started aging quickly

I still hold my own in Softball games and play much better hoops than many 20 year olds. But I'm not as swift as I used to be, my eyesight is starting to go down from the ole 20/20 I had for 35 years and I am nearing that 200lb mark for the first time in my life

I'm starting to refer to my recent hires on my team as "kids"

My two girls friends address me as Mr.

so.....as sad as it is to admit.....I guess I jumped that freakin shark about 7 years ago (when my second was born) I was a young shark jumper, huh?
                            http://www.jumptheshark.com/help.jspa
                            Member of the Mike Bartrum Fan Club

Comment

I'm 34 and have yet to jump the shark. But now that I said that I will be jumping tomorrow.
                              FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Working...
                              X