Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After the past few weeks, what changes do you make for Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see any magic here guys just a few basics:
    #1. Vick HAS to recognize the blitz better and get rid of the ball.
    Check down to either McCoy, Maclin or Celek.
    #2. Do a better job protecting Vick. If you've got to keep in 7 guys, so be it. Those other 3 guys can make plays.
    #3. Run the ball with McCoy & Harrison & Vick. All 3 guys should have success on Sunday. Draw plays, designed sprint outs & naked bootlegs for Vick WILL work vs a quick D like the Pack.
    #4. Shut down the run and go after Rodgers. Hit him hard & often.
    #5. Patterson starts at RCB and plays Jennings with help over the top. Patterson got toasted by Hicks but has had a decent year (see ta Hobbs).
    #6. Win the ST's battle. It's balls to the wall now Andy so use DJ or Maclin in the PR game. Savvy & Akers have to be on their "A" game & for God sakes, no missed tackles or dumbass penalties.
    There you have it, Birds win 24-20.
    LET'S GO BIRDS!!!
    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Bump to Stevie Mc & all.
      It's only Wednesday and I'm thinkin that work is in an extreme secondary position. We can win this game on Sunday.
      Jukin passed me the keys to the Bus & I'm not ready to turn them in just yet.
      LET'S GO BIRDS!!!
      Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

I think Harbor has been fine. Couple of tough games lately though, that happens, especially with young players. That said, if you take him out, who's becomes your second tight end?

I commented about this on another board about our secondary, and I think it holds true through out the entire team really, and that is we have a ton of youth that is getting a lot of responsibility, and a lot of playing time. Some by plan, some forced due to injuries. It might be tough and a draw back right now as far as inexperience goes, but this is a very young team and should only help them for the near future.

To me, and I think a lot of us, even the front office and coaching staff, (although they would never admit it obviously) the thought was this was a year to tweak/rebuild/reload the roster. Hope for the best, and make that charge in '11 and beyond. Instead Vick takes over and goes nuts and were in a place I'm guessing not many of us expected. And this youth is right in the mix of it all.

I'm pumped for Sunday. But I'm pretty stoked about the future with the youth and talent this team has that should only get better. That said, bring on the Pack!!
        Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

Theo and everyone else, let me clarify my position. I like Harbor on the squad. I think he can develop just fine. Brent Celek has improved his blocking over the years and I'm sure Harbor can as well. With that said, we are facing one of the top pass defenses in the league, the 2nd leading sack generating D as well. We need to pass protect and run effectively. Harbor does not afford us this skill set today. It's fine to let him feel his way through it during the regular season but let's not experiment in the playoffs.

Can't wait for Sunday!

Comment

I get what you're saying. But, if you want to go into mass protection against the Pack, for even only a limited number of snaps, you need two tightends. You take Harbor out, who's filling in? Harbor has done a decent job. I dont think it's fair to want to just pull him after a bad game or two. Especially when there isn't anyone else ready to fill in. As much as he struggled this past week, remember he was a big reason we were able to kill off the last 4 minutes of the game AT Dallas. We ran the ball down their throats, and Harbor was a big part in that.
            Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Comment

Harbor made one nice pancake block on that drive. Let's not get crazy. As for who can fill in? There are a million blocking tight ends we should be able to pick up. Mills could do this (although he is on the Bengals now). Unfortunately, we have Cornelius Ingram on the practice squad who isn't adept at blocking either. The suitable solution is to have Owen Schmitt on the field in lieu of the 2nd TE.

Comment

I don't think Clay Harbor is the fulcrum around which this game turns.

I look at the Eagles right now and I really don't see any way they win, unless Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson resume being Superman, and I'm not optimistic about that given Vick's thigh problem and Jackson's foot issue. These guys make this team go.

No pass rush, terrible secondary coverage, poor interior o-line play, bad decisions by the QB on blitzes. I think the Packers will win this game pretty easily.
                Last edited by Leonard Tose; 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM.
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
                  I don't see any magic here guys just a few basics:
                  #1. Vick HAS to recognize the blitz better and get rid of the ball.
                  Check down to either McCoy, Maclin or Celek.
                  I'll add to that that the receivers need to recognize the blitz and look for the ball quicker and/or break off their route sooner as appropriate.
                  www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Last edited by Theo; 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM.
                    Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                      Harbor made one nice pancake block on that drive. Let's not get crazy. As for who can fill in? There are a million blocking tight ends we should be able to pick up. Mills could do this (although he is on the Bengals now). Unfortunately, we have Cornelius Ingram on the practice squad who isn't adept at blocking either. The suitable solution is to have Owen Schmitt on the field in lieu of the 2nd TE.
                      Not going crazy. Harbor did a nice job in those last 4 minutes in the Dallas game. Just becuase he didn't pancake anybody else on any other plays doesn't mean he didn't do his job.

I agree 2nd/blocking tight ends are out there to be had. But Harbor has done a pretty good job while he's been in there. He's basically like a linemen, you dont notice him much until he screws up. That's the case last week. He had a bad game, he got noticed in a bad way. It doesn't erase or minimize the job he had been doing to that point. He's a rookie who won the job. They aren't 'experimenting' with him in the playoffs. He's gonna play just likes he's played the regular season. And hopefully, like most of the year, we don't notice him too much. I'm betting a lot of fans hardly even knew Harbor until last week when he had a bad game. Given his position as pretty much a blocking/2nd tight end, that's a good thing.

So your answer to replace Harbor, right now, is a guy on the practice squad, a guy on another teams practice squad ( i understand you're not saying it's true option, but you think they are better than Harbor ) , and our Fullback?? To understand, do you want Schmitt actually playing along the edge as a true TE, trying to block a DE?
                      Last edited by Theo; 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM.
                      Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Comment

Theo - Harbor has been active for 9 games. He was active week 1 and then was deactivated for the next 7 consecutive weeks. He's been active for the last 8 games and the last 2 games he's been very poor in pass protection (yes, he was bad against Minnesota too). Am I suggesting Schmitt plays along the edge? Yes. Will he line up as a lineman? No. The FB on the field essentially negates a 2nd TE in our offense. You keep him in the backfield to help. You send him in motion to the edge you want to protect, you use him as a security blanket for a dump pass. You know how he can be utilized.

Comment

It's cool, we agree to disagree mc. I like Harbor and what he's done so far when he's played, aside from the last game. I like Schmitt a lot too. But I prefer just seeing him coming out of the backfield and clearing space for McCoy in the run game. For the most part I like what I've seen from Harbor and hope he continues to see the field.

Either way, whoever it is, they better be blocking their ass off Sunday. Sick of hearing about the Packers.....the 10-6 Packers who seem to be unbeatable by many. Gotta feeling were all gonna be down right giddy, Sunday Night!! LETS GO BIRDS!!
                          Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Comment

That's cool Theo. If you are 117, I'm almost directly across from you in 102 (right on the 30 yard line). I think stock is in 138.

Comment

I think the problems that we have had with the blitz come from being with the middle getting clobbered. Vick can't see and he certainly can't step up into any pocket. He doesn't trust the protection and has compensated for this by dropping back a good 10-12 yards when passing to get time. That makes it tough on both tackles to maintain position on outside rushers. I agree with SteveMc that having Schmidt on the field is probably a good solution. I have noticed that he is having problems with twist stunts as is the whole line in general. My solution would be to run the ball more and not let the Pack tee off for three hours with various stunts. I'd also start playing some solid defense. And while I'm at it, I would have Vick grow about 5 or 6 inches. Since NONE of those 3 things are going to happen Sunday, I think that we are in trouble. I would say our only chance is to have Vick go into his superman act again.
                              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Vick has been superman this year. If he wasn't, think of where we'd be with this defense. It doesn't change come Sunday but I'm feeling better about this game as the week goes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X