Jeff McLane: Eagles will go hard after a DE, likely target is Ray Edwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7/25/11 Update...

The Falcons will not go after free agent DE Ray Edwards, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

With the Vikings expected to move on, Edwards will be among the top defensive free agents available. The AJC says he's expected to land with the Eagles, where he'd form a dominant bookend with Trent Cole. The Seahawks and Browns have also been mentioned as possible suitors.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ted-for-eagles

Report: Ray Edwards ticketed for Eagles

According to the National Football Post:
      Apparently, the Falcons have cooled and will channel their resources to prevent their own players from departing via free agency. Per Ledbetter, Edwards is likely ticketed for the Philadelphia Eagles. That would make sense when you consider Brandon Graham, the club’s first-round draft pick a year ago, is in doubt for this season after undergoing microfracture surgery on his knee.
      As Ledbetter notes, the move makes sense because of Brandon Graham's uncertain knee issues. If the Eagles were to make a play for Edwards, they could also offset some of Edwards' cost by cutting Juqua Parker, who is on the hook for $3.5 million this season.

Also: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie going to be on WIP today.

Comment

7/26/11 Update...

According to NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, the Falcons are out of the pass-rushing picture in free agency following Charles Johnson's deal with the Panthers.

LaCanfora confirms an Atlanta Journal-Constitution report that the Falcons will not pursue Ray Edwards. That leaves the Eagles, Seahawks, and Browns as perhaps the three most likely suitors for Edwards. Falcons fans will have to cross their fingers and hope John Abraham stays healthy for 16 games.

Comment

Well, I'd rather have Edwards than Babin, but I guess it all depends on how much money Ray Edwards wants. Charles Johnson just got a 6-year, $76 million deal with more than $30 million guaranteed. That's a lot of dough.

I would have to assume Edwards will want something comparable, and I don't think he's worth it. If Babin comes much cheaper, you'll probably get comparable production.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

7/27/11 Update...

The Titans have reportedly "inquired" about free agent DE Ray Edwards.

Edwards' market has been awfully slow to develop, perhaps because he's perceived as a player who did most of his damage in Minnesota due to single blocks. He's also never been known as a high-character type. The Eagles were supposed to show interest, but their focus has turned to Jason Babin. The Titans would make for a fine fit because they need an upgrade at left end.

Comment

Working...
            X