Eagles sign former Giants WR Steve Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8/12/11 Update...

Coach Andy Reid estimated that Steve Smith (knee) won't be ready to practice for three or four weeks.

Reid's timetable is even more optimistic than the one given by Giants coach Tom Coughlin. Assuming Smith has no setbacks with his knee, he could be practicing by the start of the regular season.

Comment

Steve Smith officially put on PUP which makes sense. He's not going to practice. This doesn't necessarily mean he's out for the beginning of the season.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...nce-for-maclin

DeSean Jackson Says Steve Smith Signing Was "Insurance" For Maclin

Before we get into this, I wanted to mention the "pay DeSean" chants at Eagles camp yesterday. Jackson practiced for the first time and clearly the fans were excited and want him around for a long time. After practice he was asked about the Steve Smith signing, a question that Les Bowen guessed was implying that it could be used as leverage against him in a contract negotiation. If that was the point of the question, DeSean didn't get it. He had another idea why.

"The reason why they picked him up is they're unsure of Maclin's health."
        Now, I wouldn't presume that the Eagles share their reasoning for moves with DeSean Jackson, especially give that he just showed up less than a week ago. So I don't think anyone should take this as him revealing secretive concerns or letting any inside info slip. It's probably just what he thinks. That said, the fact that he does think it is interesting and I would assume that he's not the only Eagle who does.

I just have a problem with the logic of these theories that Steve Smith can be used as "insurance" for Jeremy Maclin or "leverage" against DeSean. He signed a one year deal, so there's no long term commitment that would make Jackson expendable in any way. So that theory would seem to hold no water at all. Second, he's injured. He could very well start the season on PUP and miss six games. If that's the case, how is he insurance against the possibility that Maclin won't be ready to start the season? The Eagles are "optimistic" he could be ready to start the year, but they're "optimistic" about Maclin as well. At least that's what they've said about both guys. Of course, it doesn't seem like their optimism over injuries is often right...

So I don't presume to know the teams' thinking on this anymore than DeSean Jackson knows it... but it just doesn't make logical sense to me that Steve Smith would be relied upon to be insurance for anything this year. To me, he seems like a guy the Eagles saw as an undervalued asset with pro bowl talent that could be had for cheap. This is a guy who could get healthy later in the year and give the Eagles the best possession/slot WR in the NFL for the stretch run, which probably was worth a $2 million gamble.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...giants-offense

Steve Smith Takes Dig At Giants Offense

Steve Smith did an interview with NY Post writer Bart Hubbach yesterday at Eagles camp, a NY paper asking him direct questions about the Giants, so Giants fans can spare us the "Why is he still talking about the Giants" stuff. He had some more things to say about his "controversial" departure from the Giants and about their offense versus the Eagles offense. In New York, much was made of Tom Coughlin's implication that there was some sort of assurance from Smith's camp that the Giants would have a chance to "match" any offer he got. Not only has Smith's agent denied that, but Smith said that if the Giants really wanted him, they had more than enough time to sign him.
          It was how many days since free agency [began] that I was out?" Smith told The Post, pointing to the roughly two weeks the Giants dawdled while he was available. "The Eagles made a great offer. I don't know . . . the Giants had a lot of time. Let's put it that way."
          "The Giants might have [taken me for granted], but the Eagles didn't," Smith said.
          Hubbach also said Smith took a dig at Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and QB Eli Manning. While I can certainly see how this would be a shot at Gilbride, it's a bit of a stretch to say he criticizes Manning here...
          "It's really exciting because they throw the ball so much here, so many downfield throws," Smith said. "I was used to short [and] shorter stuff in New York, but here, they're running."
          Do I smell a new slogan? "Here, we're running!"
          "I used to hate the Eagles, now I don't like the Giants," he said. "I've still got ex-teammates that are friends there, but I definitely want to get on that field for the Eagles now. I want to say I won a Super Bowl for both teams.

Comment

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...C-rss&FEEDNAME=

Smith says Giants' delay let Eagles swoop in

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- The Giants have only themselves to blame for losing Steve Smith to the hated Eagles.

That was Smith's version of events yesterday as the Pro Bowl slot receiver -- sidelined indefinitely by knee surgery -- donned a "weird-feeling" green jersey and watched his new team go through its paces.
            Giants coach Tom Coughlin acted betrayed last week when Smith abruptly bolted to Philadelphia in free agency, indicating Smith owed Big Blue for using its doctor for his microfracture operation and claiming Smith's agents didn't give the Giants a chance to match the Eagles' one-year, $2 million offer.

But Smith, one of Eli Manning's favorite targets on third down and in tight situations, said he feels as if the Giants took him for granted after the lockout ended last month.

"It was how many days since free agency [began] that I was out?" Smith told The Post, pointing to the roughly two weeks the Giants dawdled while he was available. "The Eagles made a great offer. I don't know . . . the Giants had a lot of time. Let's put it that way."

Smith added he had "no regrets" about how he and his agent, Ben Dogra, handled leaving New York.

"The Giants might have [taken me for granted], but the Eagles didn't," Smith said.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese, at least publicly, did not share Coughlin's dismay at how Smith exited and noted that losing key players is a fact-of-life risk.

"That's why they call it free agency," Reese said.

Part of the Giants' sluggishness in re-signing Smith stemmed from what they feel is the sluggishness of his recovery from the microfracture procedure last December.

The Giants, who speak from experience after safety Kenny Phillips' slow recovery from the same surgery last season, predict Smith will not be ready until late September -- at the earliest.

The Eagles do not share their NFC East rivals' pessimism, and Smith said yesterday he expects to prove his new club correct by practicing early next month and playing in the Birds' Sept. 11 opener at St. Louis.
            Smith more likely will end up on the regular-season Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list and miss the Eagles' first six games, but he is determined to avoid that.

"[The repaired knee] feels a little weaker than the other one, but it feels great when I'm running and cutting," said Smith, who walked with a noticeable limp. "I haven't had any setbacks, so hopefully I can continue on this pace."

Smith, 26, is eager to take his spot on the Eagles' "Dream Team" and start catching passes from Michael Vick in Andy Reid's let-it-fly attack.

That scenario prompted Smith to take a little dig at Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and Manning.

"It's really exciting because they throw the ball so much here, so many downfield throws," Smith said. "I was used to short [and] shorter stuff in New York, but here, they're running."

That said, Smith admits it will take time for him to wrap his head around playing for one of the Giants' biggest rivals.

"I used to hate the Eagles, now I don't like the Giants," he said. "I've still got ex-teammates that are friends there, but I definitely want to get on that field for the Eagles now. I want to say I won a Super Bowl for both teams."

[email protected]

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...-play-week-one

Steve Smith Planning To Play Week One

Steve Smith was taken off the PUP list and practiced with the Eagles for the first time today. The news certainly came to a surprise to Giants fans, who were under the impression that it would be some time before Smith could play, but it's certainly a surprise to us as well. Smith also met the media and updated how he was feeling. He says he's shooting to play week one and knew he was close to practicing.

"I was pretty ahead of schedule. Just from working with the coaches and the training staff, they're really good with rehabbing so it's good." Smith continued, "I think I'll be able to [play week one], it's up to what the coaches and trainers want me to do. I'm feeling good, and as long as we have no setbacks, that's what I'm shooting for."

Smith also said that it will take a few weeks before he's back in top physical form, but he's not experiencing any ill effects right now.

"It'll take me a few weeks, but I feel really good right now. I don't feel like I'm laboring or I can't cut. I'm doing good so far"

He's been doing extra work with Mike Kafka to get up to speed on the offense.

"Yeah. I stayed after with [QB Mike] Kafka and ran some routes and some plays. It was good to get out there with Vick and catch some balls from him."

Andy Reid wouldn't give a timeline on Smith or Jeremy Maclin playing in a game. He only said they would take it "day by day" and give each guy more work and more work as they proved they could handle it.

Comment

Working...
              X