observations from Eagles-Cowboys game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• observations from Eagles-Cowboys game

This has been a theme all year, the offense struggles finally scores, defense lets the other team come right down the field an score on the next series and usually with ease. We have many of problem right now and most are not going to be fixed within the next 7 games. We need to get to the offseason and make the changes then.

1. Jim Schwartz is the most frustrating defensive coordinator I have witnessed. He is a pussy and his defensive players play like that. No aggression, no creativity, very easy to read. If his front four doesn't get there he is toast. Teams counter with quick passing that wears down his line and then hit them for the big gains later in the game For a team who has seen the likes of Ryan, Johnson and Carson coach this defense over the years this is simply unacceptable. I don't want to hear about the injured secondary either. Its not like they are replacing Patrick Pederson out there. His scheme is too simple and even simple-minded coaches like old red head Garrett on Dallas can beat it.

2. The Eagles lack of a running back is really holding this offense back. I have been watching the all 22 every week. Every week I watch our RB's run into a tackle after tackle when the hole is to his left or right. How many times last year when the passing game wasn't working did we go out and shove the ball down the opposing teams throats? Missing Ajayi is probably the biggest loss of a player this team has had all year. Howie really missed on the RB on this roster. Clement has really regressed, Smallwood never was and Adams is just a guy. Sproles is old and brittle. RB and Left Tackle are the two biggest needs in the offseason on this team. Multiple RB's I should say. Unfortunately, this is not a good RB class coming out of college

3. Wentz was just OK last night, maybe a little less. He did some things really well, those two TD's to Ertz were really good. I don't blame him for the screen or the Ertz miss on 4th down that is on Ertz he didn't get himself past the marker. He had a nice deep ball to Agholor. I have no idea what he was thinking on the INT. Might be one of the worst INT's he has thrown this year. He came out too hyped and was off on his passes. Still there are many more things in this game that are to blame, Wentz is a small portion of them.

4. Jason Peters man you have been a dog for this team for a long time. Great player, Hall of fame player. That said your time has come. He got beat like a drum last night by whomever Dallas threw at him. Call the press conference, retire please.

5. I thought Big V played ok last night. He did get blown up by Lawrence on the 4th and 1 early in the game. However, that looked like a shared blame between him and Ertz. I did see him give up some pressures here and there but for the most part, he held up.

6. I see that people are ripping Doug for not having Tate on the field for every play. The guy has been here for less than a second this is a complicated offense to learn. He did about what I expected him to do in his first game. Next week I expect more. The Saints defense really isn't that good. We should be able to put some points up against them, then again who knows anymore.

7. Somebody put out an APB for Cabana Boy and Hicks, the next time we see them will be the first time since London. Horrible game for both players.

8. A play that nobody is talking about that I think was the biggest miss of the game for the Eagles. Our LB/Kicker Kruger Hill had a pick six right in his hands and he dropped it. Catch that and Dallas is behind 7-3 and Dak is feeling like Dak can't do anything again. BTW Dallas came down and scored 3 after that miss.

9. Piggybacking off that, the Eagles defense simply doesn't create turnovers, even worse they are letting up too many yards on the drives they do stop and giving the offense poor starting position. This didn't happen last year. This to me is the biggest issue on the team. Unless you are playing our defense its hard to score more than 20 points when you have to drive 75 yards every series. Dallas did it last night, 3 drives of 75 yards. Mostly because of poor tackling and bad defensive play calling by our pussy defensive coordinator.

10. Michael Bennett should get some love here for his pass rushing but man the guy is terrible against the run. This team is really missing Derrick Barnett. He set the edge and forced RB back into Cox and Ngata. Bennett got swallowed up on way too many of those Zeke runs.

Overall this year is finished. They don't have the horses to make a run, their schemes on defense have been caught up with, the defensive coordinator is too much of a pussy to make the necessary changes. They are a one trick pony on offense. There special teams are not special.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

i almost universally agree however I think the OL play was not horrible. It was average. I also think JP played OK. He got beat by Gregory a few times but I’m not sure he was really beat as much as Gregory guessed right. On the Gregory sack in the first quarter JP redirected Gregory inside and if you watch it Gregory really flattened out his rush. Wentz rolled with his back to it and wasn’t that deep.

JP wasn’t great but he wasn’t awful IMO.

That said at this point I Hope JP gets nicked so we are forced to play Jordan Mailita. A 3-4 game audition for him could help us prioritize in the draft.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

How about this team is destroyed by injuries and are pulling guys off the street to play?
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        This has been a theme all year, the offense struggles finally scores, defense lets the other team come right down the field an score on the next series and usually with ease. We have many of problem right now and most are not going to be fixed within the next 7 games. We need to get to the offseason and make the changes then.

1. Jim Schwartz is the most frustrating defensive coordinator I have witnessed. He is a pussy and his defensive players play like that. No aggression, no creativity, very easy to read. If his front four doesn't get there he is toast. Teams counter with quick passing that wears down his line and then hit them for the big gains later in the game For a team who has seen the likes of Ryan, Johnson and Carson coach this defense over the years this is simply unacceptable. I don't want to hear about the injured secondary either. Its not like they are replacing Patrick Pederson out there. His scheme is too simple and even simple-minded coaches like old red head Garrett on Dallas can beat it.

Agree... but the injuries have not helped, both upfront and deep have hurt.

2. The Eagles lack of a running back is really holding this offense back. I have been watching the all 22 every week. Every week I watch our RB's run into a tackle after tackle when the hole is to his left or right. How many times last year when the passing game wasn't working did we go out and shove the ball down the opposing teams throats? Missing Ajayi is probably the biggest loss of a player this team has had all year. Howie really missed on the RB on this roster. Clement has really regressed, Smallwood never was and Adams is just a guy. Sproles is old and brittle. RB and Left Tackle are the two biggest needs in the offseason on this team. Multiple RB's I should say. Unfortunately, this is not a good RB class coming out of college

We disagree here-- I think this is on the O-Line. Elliot could sometimes go 6 yards before somebody would touch him, there were not holes like that on our side.

3. Wentz was just OK last night, maybe a little less. He did some things really well, those two TD's to Ertz were really good. I don't blame him for the screen or the Ertz miss on 4th down that is on Ertz he didn't get himself past the marker. He had a nice deep ball to Agholor. I have no idea what he was thinking on the INT. Might be one of the worst INT's he has thrown this year. He came out too hyped and was off on his passes. Still there are many more things in this game that are to blame, Wentz is a small portion of them.

Agree again--- some of his passes were almost worm burners and the the ROC suffered.

4. Jason Peters man you have been a dog for this team for a long time. Great player, Hall of fame player. That said your time has come. He got beat like a drum last night by whomever Dallas threw at him. Call the press conference, retire please.

Semi disagree... I thought he played ok last night.

5. I thought Big V played ok last night. He did get blown up by Lawrence on the 4th and 1 early in the game. However, that looked like a shared blame between him and Ertz. I did see him give up some pressures here and there but for the most part, he held up.

Disagree again... Not the V stunk but that he required help all night which causes Wentz to lose weapons.

6. I see that people are ripping Doug for not having Tate on the field for every play. The guy has been here for less than a second this is a complicated offense to learn. He did about what I expected him to do in his first game. Next week I expect more. The Saints defense really isn't that good. We should be able to put some points up against them, then again who knows anymore.

Agree- somewhat. I'm in the camp that he could have played a bit more--- there are standard routes the guy, as a veteran, can run on any team.

7. Somebody put out an APB for Cabana Boy and Hicks, the next time we see them will be the first time since London. Horrible game for both players.

Somewhat agree--- the Cowboys did a great job up front getting to the second level, and creating more lanes.

8. A play that nobody is talking about that I think was the biggest miss of the game for the Eagles. Our LB/Kicker Kruger Hill had a pick six right in his hands and he dropped it. Catch that and Dallas is behind 7-3 and Dak is feeling like Dak can't do anything again. BTW Dallas came down and scored 3 after that miss.

Disagree--- that was one play out of how many that were botched?

9. Piggybacking off that, the Eagles defense simply doesn't create turnovers, even worse they are letting up too many yards on the drives they do stop and giving the offense poor starting position. This didn't happen last year. This to me is the biggest issue on the team. Unless you are playing our defense its hard to score more than 20 points when you have to drive 75 yards every series. Dallas did it last night, 3 drives of 75 yards. Mostly because of poor tackling and bad defensive play calling by our pussy defensive coordinator.

Fully agree.

10. Michael Bennett should get some love here for his pass rushing but man the guy is terrible against the run. This team is really missing Derrick Barnett. He set the edge and forced RB back into Cox and Ngata. Bennett got swallowed up on way too many of those Zeke runs.

Agree but again he shouldn't be playing that many downs.

Overall this year is finished. They don't have the horses to make a run, their schemes on defense have been caught up with, the defensive coordinator is too much of a pussy to make the necessary changes. They are a one trick pony on offense. There special teams are not special.

Agree.

I want to pass on a description I read this morning, that sorta describes this situation pretty good-------

"The offense couldn't get going early and the defense couldn't get off the field in the second half. That's been the story of the Eagles all season, which is why they blew fourth-quarter leads to the Tennessee Titans and Carolina Panthers. They lost three straight games at home for the first time since 2013 and are 4-5 for the first time since 2013.

This entire season has been disappointing to date. This team can't figure out why they are losing games, why they start slow, why they can't cover a slant route, why they can't tackle, why they can't stop a 3rd-and-15. There's always an excuse for lack of execution.

Now this team wants to look in the mirror. They appear defeated and can't find an answer for their woes. The Eagles didn't get the job done against the desperate offensive team that entered the game 26th in the NFL in points per game (19.2) and 27th in yards per game (317.1). Dallas is sixth in rush yards per game (128. and 29th in pass yards per game (188.4).

On a short week, the Cowboys moved the ball at will. The Eagles may have given credit to the Cowboys, but they failed to get the job done and geta win against a team that is desperate to get anything going.

There was a funeral Sunday. It was the 2018 Eagles season."

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelph...wer-124624202/

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          How about this team is destroyed by injuries and are pulling guys off the street to play?
          The only problem with that is that they haven’t even been good when healthy. Face it, we really aren’t far from being 0-9. Our wins were tight

Comment

Talked to my dumbass son this a.m. I had to laugh. He was pissed the birds let the Cowboys win. He knows they aren't good and wanted JG & the whole crew fired and now Jerry will see just enough to keep them.
            I told him I wish the birds had someone like VanderEsch coming up and he said he would rather have had Goedert coming up. Can't have a good team without good TEs and the boys don't have any
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Just as a side note was looking at the stats today (and honestly they are hollow), Jason Peters gave up a sack and 5 pressures last night. Big V gave up 4 pressures, no sacks. The eye test told me that Peters looked bad, the eye test told me that Big V was Ok. Honestly, the difference here is one is supposed to be the starting left tackle on this team the other is a career backup swing tackle. Neither should be starters in 2019 for this team.

Also as far as the RB goes, there are holes there, some with much daylight in sight. They are missing them. Honestly though comparing them to Elliot is just silly. These backs couldn't shine that spoon feeding wife beating idiots shoes on the field. That is one area of this team where talent really is an issue

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                Talked to my dumbass son this a.m. I had to laugh. He was pissed the birds let the Cowboys win. He knows they aren't good and wanted JG & the whole crew fired and now Jerry will see just enough to keep them.

Nodak, that is the only good thing to come out of last night's game. Most Dallas fans want Garrett gone yesterday and a great many are also convinced Prescott is no more than an average QB at best. Like your son, they also recognize that Jones is a stubborn old fool that hangs on to Garrett because he is an obsequious puppet who tolerates crap from Jones that men born with a spine would not. Prescott is also the embodiment of Jones' conceit that he is master of talent evaluation..."Look at the elite QB we're developing that I found in the 4th round."

Prescott's and Garrett's success against a JUCO level secondary and almsot invisible an LBing crew guided by a DC that can't find his ass with two hands when his 4 man pass rush wears down and isn't punishing the opposing QB will provide Jones lammo and strengthen his resolve to stick with both Chunky Soup Boy and the Clapping Puppet. The Bird's don't have much right now, but they may have those two chumps in Dallas for another couple years...which is nice.
                Last edited by tinopuno; 11-12-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Just as a side note was looking at the stats today (and honestly they are hollow), Jason Peters gave up a sack and 5 pressures last night. Big V gave up 4 pressures, no sacks. The eye test told me that Peters looked bad, the eye test told me that Big V was Ok. Honestly, the difference here is one is supposed to be the starting left tackle on this team the other is a career backup swing tackle. Neither should be starters in 2019 for this team.

Also as far as the RB goes, there are holes there, some with much daylight in sight. They are missing them. Honestly though comparing them to Elliot is just silly. These backs couldn't shine that spoon feeding wife beating idiots shoes on the field. That is one area of this team where talent really is an issue
                  Taz, you stats are the hollow part, Imm..... Big V was not one on one much. And Gregory is a damn good DE. And again I do not think that there were that many holes and their LB’s filled them fast as our OL was still engaged. We just disagree here.

Comment

The biggest hole all night was for Kelce to shoot out and pass block four yards downfield
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      The biggest hole all night was for Kelce to shoot out and pass block four yards downfield
                      Yeah, can not believe they didn’t call that one...... maybe they thought he was TE.

Comment

All I know is that I feel like a pin cushion these days watching Eagles games. Actually, that goes for all my sports teams.

I am emotionally drained and ready for the season to be over. Now I will mostly root for the Cowboys not to win the division.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                          Taz, you stats are the hollow part, Imm..... Big V was not one on one much. And Gregory is a damn good DE. And again I do not think that there were that many holes and their LB’s filled them fast as our OL was still engaged. We just disagree here.
                          I did say the stats are hollow because what the hell is a hurry anyway?

Definitely agree that the Cowboys linebackers were really active last, kind of really underscored how our linebackers are still in London and haven't come back yet.

Keep in mind they only ran 14 times, Go back and look at the game.

The 2nd play of the game, toss play, Adams should have cut it back through the hole vs. continue to bounce it outside. no gain, should have been at least a 5 yard gain. Next play comes up a yard short and we punt.

3rd series Smallwood, runs right into the tackle instead of bouncing towards the outside. Just missed the opening. 2 yard gain should have been at least 5

3rd series On the 4th down, Adams should have hit it right up between Brooks and Vaiti, he hesitates linebackers comes off the edge 3 yard loss. Blount made a living last year pounding it right up in there even if there wasn't a clear hole. . He only needed a yard an pushing it right up there would have been a better move than hesitating

Now there were a few where the line got blown up to. We need a RB, CJ Anderson just got cut Howie should be putting in the claim.

Comment

I did say the stats are hollow because what the hell is a hurry anyway?

Definitely agree that the Cowboys linebackers were really active last, kind of really underscored how our linebackers are still in London and haven't come back yet.

Keep in mind they only ran 14 times, Go back and look at the game.

The 2nd play of the game, toss play, Adams should have cut it back through the hole vs. continue to bounce it outside. no gain, should have been at least a 5 yard gain. Next play comes up a yard short and we punt.

3rd series Smallwood, runs right into the tackle instead of bouncing towards the outside. Just missed the opening. 2 yard gain should have been at least 5

3rd series On the 4th down, Adams should have hit it right up between Brooks and Vaiti, he hesitates linebackers comes off the edge 3 yard loss. Blount made a living last year pounding it right up in there even if there wasn't a clear hole. . He only needed a yard an pushing it right up there would have been a better move than hesitating

Now there were a few where the line got blown up to. We need a RB, CJ Anderson just got cut Howie should be putting in the claim.
                            Well, we don’t have a Blount and how many tackles were made by the girls backers?

Comment

I will say the girls DL and LB came to play. They have some talent there and were flying around. They took the game seriously.
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X