Please don't trade strengths Howie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't trade strengths Howie

In the past we have said "we have a lot of these so we'll trade one of them". Didn't we trade a DB last year and we ended up going through about 8 of them and then having to pull them off of the street due to injury? I definitely remember trading a DE under Andy and it ending up burning us before camp was even over. If indeed we make a trade we should definitely wait until after TC is over. We are going to lose at least one starter during camp and a backup or two. Most of the time it happens during non contact drills. I think that we should be extra cautious in this regard. If Howie wants to churn the very end of the roster fine but he should wait until cuts are made before he does it. Trading one of our draft picks is fine but not a player IMO.

If you need more reasons why check this out by Tommy Lawler:

http://igglesblitz.com/

IgglesBlitz, In-Depth Philadelphia Eagles Analysis
    About Contact Us Draft Info Eagles History Practice Squad
    Ups and Downs of Spring Football

Posted: May 18th, 2019 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 2 Comments

It is mid-May and that means a couple of things. The long cold winter is behind us and OTAs are in full bloom.

Dave Spadaro made an interesting point in a recent column. He was talking about the OTAs and offering some useful reminders.

Remember last spring when defensive backs coach Cory Undlin rotated a handful of players through the nickel cornerback spot? De’Vante Bausby emerged from the spring as a leading contender to play the position, based on what the media saw, and he didn’t even make the 53-man roster.

This is important for a couple of reasons. First, Bausby got a lot of reps with the starters so people read into that. Spring time depth charts can be highly deceptive. Coaches aren’t always sure what they’ve got so players may get a lot of looks, but that doesn’t mean the guy is locked in.

Bausby did play well, which caught everyone’s eye. But that’s another thing to watch. We can get a lot of false positives in the spring.

The Legend of Donnel Pumphrey was based on some spring practices. Pump was deadly in space and looked quick and athletic. He got to the preseason and didn’t do anything. Putting on pads and playing in game situations or actual games made a significant difference.

Other times, we read things incorrectly the other way. Patrick Robinson looked horrible in the spring of 2017. Some wondered if the team might let him go before Training Camp. Robinson stayed and got better. Once he moved to the slot, he became a standout and ended up making one of the most significant plays in Eagles history.

Embedded video

Philly Nation
    @Philly__Nation
    No. 3... Patrick Robinson's pick six off of Case Keenum in the 2018 NFC Championship. My favorite play in Philadelphia Sports history. Changed everything in this game. Almost broke my Mac watching this live. I still get goosebumps.

6:08 PM - Jan 4, 2019
    211 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    I hope you didn’t mind having to sit through that again.

A lot of people forget that Nick Foles did nothing in the summer of 2017. His elbow was hurt and he missed virtually all of Training Camp and didn’t play in the preseason. Here’s what one hack had to say.

It cost the Eagles $7 million in dead money this offseason to get rid of Chase Daniel. In other words, Daniel is counting for $7 million against the Eagles’ salary cap this season to play in New Orleans. Foles, meanwhile, will count for $1.6 million against the Eagles’ cap in 2017, and $7.6 million in 2018.

Acquiring Daniel for the contract he signed was clearly a major miss. If Foles’ arm is simply not going to reliably cooperate, his signing will just add kerosene to the Chase Daniel dumpster fire.

When asked if Foles would play next week in the fourth preseason game against the Jets, Pederson didn’t know.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t made up my mind yet and where I’m at with that. [That’s] kind of where I’m at right now with that one.”

It’s a bad sign if Foles misses the entirety of the preseason because of “soreness.”

Things worked out okay.

It was fair to wonder about Foles and his arm. He was a ghost that summer. The Eagles were cautious with him because he was a veteran and knew the system. They didn’t feel the need to run him out there for summer games when the risk wasn’t worth the reward.

Sometimes things do match up.

Kamu Grugier-Hill had the best spring and summer of his young career in 2018 and that carried over to the regular season. Nelson Agholor looked like a changed man in the spring of 2017 and that proved to be right on the money. Dallas Goedert stood out last spring. You could just see he was the real deal.

That’s what makes spring football so complicated. It really can be hard to figure what is legit and what isn’t.

It will be interesting to see which players shine this spring and which ones are for real. Sounds like that might be a good topic for a post.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 05-18-2019, 01:54 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I don't think they're loaded enough at any position to be comfortable trading someone away. They have some numbers at DB, but with guys coming off injuries, and whatnot, I wouldn't trade a single one of them right now.

Comment

Working...
    X