Hey it's just Spads,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey it's just Spads,,,

While many are pretty obvious,,,,,, does anybody disagree majorly with his list? People there that don't fit? People that should be added.

I'm not sure I'd have Brown on that list, I think he already hit that next level...

///////////////////////////////////////////

A List Of Players Ready To Get To Next Level

June 26, 2006

The very definition of "the next level" is different for different players.
    Brian Dawkins, for example, has reached the rarified air of being one of the best at his position not only in today's game, but in the recent era of NFL safeties. Mike Patterson, on the other hand, has a new level to reach in his second season.

So which players are ready for that, you guessed it, "next level?" Well, while we're idling away the days until training camp starts, here is a list with which to start.

L.J. SMITH, TE
    He needs to be among the game's elite tight ends. Smith has all the skills to get to that level and now it's a matter of putting everything together on a consistent basis. Smith figures to be a central figure in the passing game, so his numbers have a chance to be special.

With his size and speed, Smith is going to line up in a lot of different spots. The Eagles want to get him matched favorably against a cover man who is either smaller or slower and then get the ball to him.

The Eagles have had their share of dominating tight ends in the modern era -- Charles Young, Keith Jackson, even Chad Lewis. All three made the Pro Bowl. Smith can be just as effective and successful and outstanding. It is his time.

MIKE PATTERSON, DT
    Patterson's rookie season was solid. He played with energy throughout. He was durable. He was productive.

Patterson's next step: More, more, more
    So now, in his second season and with a wealth of knowledge accumulated, Patterson is ready to become a more complete tackle. He will use his leverage better. His hand positioning will be improved. He will have a better understanding of how linemen are trying to set him up.

From a numbers standpoint, Patterson is looking at a half-dozen or so sacks -- he will likely play a lot in the nickel -- and he'll be in on a lot of tackles. Patterson is going to be counted on to occupy blockers to free the ends, too.

A mature kid with a great work ethic, Patterson has a terrific future in front of him. The present looks good, too.

Truth is, the Eagles need Patterson to take that next step. They have invested a lot in the defensive line, and a strong performance from Patterson is going to open up a world of opportunity for everybody else up front.

TRENT COLE, DE
    So maybe Cole won't start at defensive end. Big deal. He's still going to play a lot and when he does, offensive tackles are going to have to contend with a 100 mph fastball that just keeps coming and never stops.

Cole's relentless approach is what will ultimately make him a special defensive end. He's got the body now -- Cole is tipping the scales at 270-plus pounds -- and he has the burst. But he has a different gear and a different hunger than do many players.

This young man is going to play a lot and it should be exciting for Eagles fans to think of Cole lining up next to Darren Howard in certain situations. They should play well together.

REGGIE BROWN, WR
    Obviously, Brown made an impression as a rookie. His next step is to be a consistent producer over a full season. That's it. The next level.

He doesn't have to be a superstar this season. Brown doesn't have to make the Pro Bowl to make it a positive season.

All of those plaudits are in his future, perhaps. For now, Brown has to be a receiver upon whom Donovan McNabb knows he can rely. Brown is going to command attention from defensive backs who think they can take him out of a game. He can't let that happen. He has to be a threat on every play.

MICHAEL LEWIS, SS
    Lewis has approached 2006 with a determination that leads me to believe he feels he has a lot to prove. The contract is an issue, and Lewis acknowledges that. He would love to stay with the Eagles. The Eagles would love to keep him. The contract will resolve itself.

Lewis is a physical player who was caught in coverage a bit more than he wanted last year. The lack of a pass rush made it difficult for every defensive player, so it's not fair to single out a player by himself.

At his best, Lewis should be among a handful of the game's best strong safeties. He is ready to be at his best this season.

RYAN MOATS, RB
    I just happen to think this kid is something special, and you know that if you read this space from time to time. Moats has incredible quickness and the kind of hiccup-and-he's-gone burst that I literally edge up in my seat when he has the ball in his hands.

The coaching staff will find a way to get both Moats and Brian Westbrook in the same backfield this season. It's going to be exciting to see. Moats has improved tremendously as a receiver, and he's worked hard at his pass protection skills. We'll see how much he has improved there in training camp.

This is an electric young man. His next level is as a week-in, week-out home run hitter in this offense.

SHAWN ANDREWS, OG
    The Pro Bowl awaits. Wait, more than that. Andrews' next level is playing like a star and dominating on every play.

There is nothing fancy to say here. Andrews is a 350-pound lineman with a unique grace. He is ready to take his game to the highest level.

DIRK JOHNSON, P
    Strange one, huh? I have seen from Johnson a punter who has become better and better until he suffered his sports hernia injury last year.

Johnson's isn't yet 100 percent, but he's on course. I see a big leg with good directional skills here. I see a punter who eliminates the every-so-often missed kick. I see a guy who nails an offense inside the 15-yard line when needed. I see a punter who, when backed up in his end zone late in a game, gets off a boomer.

That's what I want from Johnson this season. He has come a long way in the last few years. Now he needs to go a step beyond.

JAMAAL JACKSON, C
    Locked in a battle with Hank Fraley for the starting job, Jackson must first win the center position to realize his next level. That level is to become a consistent starter in the NFL.

The ability is there. The physical measurements are impressive. Jackson has competition staring him right in the face, and that brings out the best in the better players.

MATT SCHOBEL, TE
    Underused in Cincinnati, Schobel looks like an excellent fit in this offense. He's an athletic tight end who seems to run good routes. The hands I saw in the spring were outstanding. I love the idea of Smith and Schobel as a 1-2 punch.

Schobel's next level is as a pass-catching tight end who is used in this league. He sure looked great in the spring. I want to see more of it at Lehigh University.

MATT McCOY, LB
    The next level is simple for McCoy: Prove you can play at this level. He didn't see much action last year, so McCoy is on the spot now.

He ran with the starters in the spring and the WILL linebacker job is his at the moment. While Shawn Barber is still alive and fighting for time, McCoy is clearly a step ahead.

When the pads go on, well, we'll know for sure.

SHELDON BROWN, CB
    Brown needs to be in the Pro Bowl. He does it all at cornerback -- covers all kinds of receivers, plays with intelligence, makes big plays, supports the run well.

Now he has to be recognized for his skills. I thought it was coming last year, but the entire defense had too many meltdowns.

It's a new year. Brown should benefit greatly from the expected improved pass rush. With so many star-studded wide receivers on the schedule, Brown has a chance to really make a league-wide name for himself.

TODD HERREMANS, OG
    Herremans, in my view, showed a lot as a rookie at left tackle. He had great feet, got out on the ends nicely and stayed with his blocks. I liked the way Herremans finished plays.

It's a whole new ballgame inside at left guard, and, thus, it's a whole new challenge.

So the next level for Herremans is to earn a starting job and play a physical, aggressive, nasty, smart game for the interior of the line. The Eagles want to run the ball more, right? A lot depends on how well Herremans plays.

JEROME McDOUGLE, DE
    Hey, look, when it comes right down to it, the fact that McDougle is even in line to play this year is a victory. A next level. Something to celebrate, considering how far he's come to reach this point.

Maybe I'm greedy, but after watching McDougle in the spring there is now a level of expectation. I want the young man to get out on the field and show the same quickness and excellence in technique. I mean, geez, McDougle looked great.

Now, whether what he did in the spring translates to training camp and the games remains to be seen. But the next level for McDougle is to be productive. Get in the backfield. Register some sacks.

It would be a wonderful next step in an improbable story. McDougle's progress is something we'll all watch closely.

That was six playas from last year's draft. I guess you SHOULD expect some of them to step up their second year. If only four of those guys have good years, it can be considered equal to the Westy class. But six would make it the best draft class by far.

I really love the last two draft classes.
    Pedro

Comment

"While Shawn Barber is still alive and fighting for time, McCoy is clearly a step ahead."

This bothers me. Sounds like Barber might not be looking too hot (has anyone heard any positive pub about him so far?) Is he looking so poorly that he might not even make the roster?

And McCoy's "next step" is to show that he can play at this level. Doesn't fill one with a lot of confidence concerfning our LB corps, AGAIN this season. All kinds of mediocrity, I think. Guys like Richmond and Simi fill out the ranks. Dhani??? Umm, we'll see..... It'd be great to see GoKONG pick up the scheme quickly and just blow it up in Pre-season to earn some PT.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Why am I getting excited about McDougle? I'm just getting this feeling he's going to be a serious contributor. Is that possible? Am I drinking the Spads Kool-Aid?

Comment

I like the sentiments. Some of them make sense. These are make or break years for both LJ & Michael Lewis. If they don't step up this year - I don't know that they'll be on the squad (in Lewis' case) or featured (in LJ's case) next season.

I think Reggie Brown does belong in the "next step" category. '06 could define him as a go-to receiver. He has the opportunity - he needs to seize it.

McCoy needs to make the same year 2 jump that his idol, Trotter, did.

Andrews needs to make this the first of many ALL Pro seasons.

Sheldon Brown IMO has nothing to prove.

Patterson, Cole & Moats simply need to continue along the maturation process and not "take it to the next level" IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
            "While Shawn Barber is still alive and fighting for time, McCoy is clearly a step ahead."

This bothers me. Sounds like Barber might not be looking too hot (has anyone heard any positive pub about him so far?) Is he looking so poorly that he might not even make the roster?
            Hmm, I guess we all read can read things differently-- some might choose to read that as "McCoy is doing so well that he is out playing Barber, a cagey vet" ????

Couple of quick reminders though...
            1. they haven't done squat yet (none of them), they have done nothing in full work mode(did they even have pads on for the mini camps?)

2. It is only Spads, when JJ says that I might start to raise an eyebrow.

3. It could all be nothing more than motivational messaging crap (Both Reid and JJ have been know to use Spads that way before)

4. Barber is a vet, he knows when he has to turn it on and when he doesn't-- and my guess is he knows Minicamps and TC are 2 different animals.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc_eagle
              Why am I getting excited about McDougle? I'm just getting this feeling he's going to be a serious contributor. Is that possible? Am I drinking the Spads Kool-Aid?
              He's got the pedigree, he's got the measureables; if he can have good health there is a decent chance he could put it all together. He had just been a kid with a case of bad luck.
              Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                He's got the pedigree, he's got the measureables; if he can have good health there is a decent chance he could put it all together. He had just been a kid with a case of bad luck.
                I'm going to assume you are talking about McDougle and not Spads.

Comment

yes, forgot to quote
                  Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

I don't see what Brown has to prove. He doesn't belong on that list. The other guys, sure.
                    www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga
                      I don't see what Brown has to prove. He doesn't belong on that list. The other guys, sure.
                      That was my first thought also Toga,, the guy, we all agree had been playing at a pro bowl level, the entire defense sucked donkey dung last year, I don't think he has to "step up".

Comment

Put Lito on that list then, too.
                        www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Brown is going to have more pressure on him this year than he can imagine.

Of course, it's "just Spads", but what the heck, it's offseason... Why NOT think that all of these guys could step up and we could win the next Superbowl?!

Comment

Working...
                          X