• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenkins wants more dough

Report: Malcolm Jenkins not attending start of Eagles OTAs

Not great.

By Alexis Chassen@Lovelybuckeye May 21, 2019, 7:58am EDT

Photo by Elsa/Getty Images
    It wasn’t a huge deal when Eagles veteran safety and team leader Malcolm Jenkins didn’t show up for the team’s voluntary offseason program. For one, it’s voluntary, and the reason wasn’t entirely clear. But it was reported early on Tuesday that the safety would not be present for the first day of OTAs, the first time he’s been a no-show for such an occasion in his career.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
    Eagles S Malcom Jenkins, who was not present for team’s off-season workout program for the first time in his career, also is a no-show today for the start of Philadelphia’s Organized Team Activities, per source. Jenkins is one of the NFL’s most-respected players; absence notable.

7:42 AM - May 21, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    415 people are talking about this
    Now the rumors that he is looking for a new contract ring a little more true, and the concern that was brought up just weeks ago has a little more merit.

BGN’s Brandon Gowton explained Jenkins’ contract situation back when he first was absent this offseason, and noted that while he’s set to make $8.75 million this year, he only ranks as the No. 10 paid safety in the league. But due to his versatility, and the Eagles penchant for having him perform cornerback and even linebacker roles within the defense, Jenkins could easily be paid more.

The majority of BGN readers agreed that if it was more money Jenkins was after, pay the man.

The Eagles didn’t do much during free agency or the 2019 NFL Draft to account for their leading safety not being on the field, so Howie Roseman will either need to figure something out sooner rather than later, or risk dealing with a situation that lingers.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I'm a believer that when you sign a contract you are satisfied with it and will do all the mandatory things in it like play four preseason games, attend TC and any mandatory camps. Optional is optional. Optional helps guys who may be on the bubble get an edge or guys rehabbing get past their injury, etc. Jenkins doesn't 'need' optional although it helps solidify his position as team leader.
    Having said that I will say I think the birds will juggle something to appease him. That something will probably be money although I don't know his contract situation so maybe they give him another year. 'easily achievable' objectives are always possible
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

One of the things about the salary cap is that, in order to win, you are going to have to have some guys on the roster that are out-performing their contracts. It's the nature of the game.

That said, in this case, I really feel like the Eagles should do something in order to raise his pay. If he wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL, then nothing will happen. But if he wants a modest increase, and some more guaranteed money, they should be able to make that happen.

Comment

He is the 9th highest paid safety in the league making at 8.1 mill with a cap hit of almost 12 mill.

Here is another nugget, he is the highest paid over 30 safety in the league.

Look I like Malcolm and don't blame him for trying to get more money, the fact is its bad business for the Eagles to rip up his contract and give him more money. I don't even think they can give him more guaranteed money at this point. Can't blame him for trying but at the end of the day he will be back by training camp, he isn't walking about from 8 million this year.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Not all players are treated the same way. Pay him.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            He is the 9th highest paid safety in the league making at 8.1 mill with a cap hit of almost 12 mill.

Here is another nugget, he is the highest paid over 30 safety in the league.

Look I like Malcolm and don't blame him for trying to get more money, the fact is its bad business for the Eagles to rip up his contract and give him more money. I don't even think they can give him more guaranteed money at this point. Can't blame him for trying but at the end of the day he will be back by training camp, he isn't walking about from 8 million this year.
            You channeling Joe Banner?

Look, I get what you're saying. And from a business aspect, you are correct. But, you are also talking about a guy that plays every snap, and is a huge leader in the locker room. I find it hard to believe that the Eagles cannot find a way to up his compensation a bit.

Comment

Paying him or not aside I have to say it has to be tough managing a roster and salary cap when you have guys wanting to change their numbers. The contract you write today for Carson Wentz, as an example, has numbers in years 3, 4, 5 that you figure you can fit in based on other contracts you have written. If he, or another player on the team, wants to up their numbers in year three it has to put you in a bind. Even if you keep some flexibility in your back pocket it has to hurt.
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

I think it's a different situation here ND. He played 3 or 4 different spots and never bitched about it. The players realize he's a unique player and didn't sign on to play linebacker. The FO could justify a raise on that basis .I admit that the Eagles are in a tough spot here. I know that they will work it out but you don't want the leader of the team bitching in the locker room.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  Paying him or not aside I have to say it has to be tough managing a roster and salary cap when you have guys wanting to change their numbers. The contract you write today for Carson Wentz, as an example, has numbers in years 3, 4, 5 that you figure you can fit in based on other contracts you have written. If he, or another player on the team, wants to up their numbers in year three it has to put you in a bind. Even if you keep some flexibility in your back pocket it has to hurt.
                  "Eagle 60- I think it's a different situation here ND. He played 3 or 4 different spots and never bitched about it. The players realize he's a unique player and didn't sign on to play linebacker. The FO could justify a raise on that basis .I admit that the Eagles are in a tough spot here. I know that they will work it out but you don't want the leader of the team bitching in the locker room."

You both make great points--- I also grow weary of having guys "bitch" about a contract they signed like 2 years ago-- don't like it don't sign it. Play every year on 1-year deals or don't allow for upfront bonuses.

On the other side, of course, you do not want anyone bitching in the locker room about $$ (but isn't that the American way for almost EVERY job??? And does this bitching really show him to be a team so a great team leader?

Personally, and I know is my broken record mantra, I think if they keep this shit away from the media it would all work a bit smoother!!! And everybody would benefit!!!!!!!!! Even us!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    "Eagle 60- I think it's a different situation here ND. He played 3 or 4 different spots and never bitched about it. The players realize he's a unique player and didn't sign on to play linebacker. The FO could justify a raise on that basis .I admit that the Eagles are in a tough spot here. I know that they will work it out but you don't want the leader of the team bitching in the locker room."

You both make great points--- I also grow weary of having guys "bitch" about a contract they signed like 2 years ago-- don't like it don't sign it. Play every year on 1-year deals or don't allow for upfront bonuses.

On the other side, of course, you do not want anyone bitching in the locker room about $$ (but isn't that the American way for almost EVERY job??? And does this bitching really show him to be a team so a great team leader?

Personally, and I know is my broken record mantra, I think if they keep this shit away from the media it would all work a bit smoother!!! And everybody would benefit!!!!!!!!! Even us!!!
                    (but isn't that the American way for almost EVERY job??? I chuckled when I read that MD. Good point about keeping it in house too but I guess that they have for the most part because neither side has gone public about it. It's just voluntary right now so we don't really know what's going on other than he's never missed them before. One would think that $8.75 would be enough to feed his family but maybe they're big eaters. Most of this stuff is just pride anyway because they get taxed to death on their salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                      You channeling Joe Banner?

Look, I get what you're saying. And from a business aspect, you are correct. But, you are also talking about a guy that plays every snap, and is a huge leader in the locker room. I find it hard to believe that the Eagles cannot find a way to up his compensation a bit.
                      So the question where does Malcolm fit as far as Safeties in the NFL? Is he top 5? top 10? Is being the 4th highest paid player on the team right? I would say yes. I just don't think the guy is underpaid. I understand why he is doing this and at the end of the day he will be back. So just not concerned.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                        So the question where does Malcolm fit as far as Safeties in the NFL? Is he top 5? top 10? Is being the 4th highest paid player on the team right? I would say yes. I just don't think the guy is underpaid. I understand why he is doing this and at the end of the day he will be back. So just not concerned.
                        I don't study the salaries but I do know that he only took about 1/3 of his snaps at safety the last 3 seasons. So.... Is he a safety, cornerback, nickelback or linebacker? He's some kind of hybrid like Polamalu was for the Steelers. What is a guy like that worth? I think that he's in his own little category there. I do know that the only 2 guys on the defense that have been indispensable has been him and Cox. With the offenses evolving so much to the passing game his type of player is extremely rare and valuable and it allows Schwartz to use the nickel as his base defense. I know that he gets paid well but I guess that he's looking for some more love LOL.

Comment

We all want a little more love.
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Here's Gowton's view on the subject

Eagles need to do the right thing and make Malcolm Jenkins happy
                            Pay that man his money.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton May 23, 2019, 1:40pm EDT

Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images
                            There’s no need to beat around the bush. The headline says it all:

The Eagles need to do the right thing and do what it takes to make Malcolm Jenkins happy.

Though Jenkins himself hasn’t explicitly voiced displeasure, there’s obviously evidence to suggest he’s not satisfied with his current contract situation. After all, he is not attending voluntarily OTAs for the first time in his entire career. The possibility he could skip June’s mandatory minicamp — which would incur an $80,000ish fine — also hasn’t been ruled out. And it’s probably not just a coincidence that Jenkins is posting Twitter videos that demonstrate his value to the team.

Jenkins isn’t wrong to believe he’s undervalued. He’s currently the league’s ninth highest paid safety in terms of annual value at $8.75 million. The final two years on his current contract contain base salaries of $8.1 million and $7.6 million with zero dollars in guaranteed salary (per Over The Cap).

One can only speculate what Jenkins is looking for in terms of compensation. Whatever the case, though, he’s worth it.

The Eagles MUST pay him.

Those reluctant for the Eagles to pay Jenkins will trot out the “honor the contract!” line. That’s a bad justification to not pay Jenkins because every single NFL team fails to honor contracts every offseason. Teams cutting players in order to clear cap space is an extremely common occurrence.

There are also those who will say paying a player with two years left on his deal sets a bad precedent. In a vacuum, I can understand that argument. As a team, you don’t want to have to keep giving guys even more money just a couple years into their long-term extensions.

In the specific case of Jenkins, though, I don’t think the bad precedent is rewarding a player who’s already under contract for two more seasons. Rather, the bad precedent would be the Eagles failing to reward a player who has gone so far above and beyond the call of duty.

You don’t need me to tell you how valuable Jenkins is to the Eagles ... but I’ll do it anyway.

Jenkins is a two-time Super Bowl champion, three-time Pro Bowl selection, and a one-time second-team All-Pro safety.
                            Jenkins is the Eagles’ heart and soul of the team as their defensive captain and most vocal locker room leader. He’s the kind of player who can help turn a season around. We just saw this in 2018 when Jenkins called on defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz to simplify the team’s defense in a Week 12 win over the Giants. The Eagles were down 19-3 to New York and it was looking like their season might be over until Jenkins intercepted Eli Manning. That pick was a turning point for a team that came up just short of advancing to a second straight NFC Championship Game appearance.
                            Jenkins is an incredibly versatile player. During the Eagles’ Super Bowl season, for example, Jenkins played 42% of his snaps at linebacker, 30% at nickel cornerback, 24% at safety, and 4% at outside cornerback.
                            Jenkins is arguably the toughest and most durable son of a gun on the entire Eagles roster. He didn’t miss a single defensive snap last season. Here’s a breakdown of Jenkins’ snap counts since first signing with the Eagles:
                            2014 — 1,164
                            2015 — 1,204
                            2016 — 1,018
                            2017 — 1,151
                            2018 — 1,177

All of this doesn’t even include the outstanding work Jenkins does off the field. He won the Byron “Whizzer” White Community MVP award in 2017, which is the highest honor the NFLPA can bestow upon a player.

If paying Jenkins now means the Eagles are setting a precedent where they have to reward players who are similar to Jenkins in the future, that’s a great “problem” to have. As a team, you should want your young players to emulate this role model who majorly contributed to the franchise’s first ever Super Bowl victory.

With Jenkins missing OTAs and Rodney McLeod still recovering from ACL/MCL injuries, the Eagles are currently running with Andrew Sendejo and Tre Sullivan as their first team safeties. That’s just not going to cut it when September gets here.

It’s my belief the Eagles will do the right thing and reward Jenkins at some point. Maybe it’s something like what they did with Brandon Graham’s contract back in 2017. Maybe it’s something even more lucrative than that.

The bottom line is: the Eagles need to pay that man his money.

Comment

Working...
                            X