Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did we go from Super Bowl Champs to this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
    I don’t want to risk the franchise playing if they are. Of course, he’s withstood a battering for the ages with our starting 5 in front of him.
    Yup, that is the dilemma I find IMM. I'm all for finding out what some of these guys got--- but not at the risk of losing Wentz.

Comment

Easy solution to that. The dude won a Super Bowl for us, and it's going to be his last game in green. Give Nick Foles the start. IMM he's earned it. I don't think Wentz would mind one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
        Easy solution to that. The dude won a Super Bowl for us, and it's going to be his last game in green. Give Nick Foles the start. IMM he's earned it. I don't think Wentz would mind one bit.
        Foles or Sudfeld. Sudfeld will most likely be here. I get the start for Nick. I prefer the experience for Sudfeld.

Comment

My take
          1. Shortened off season
          2. Front Office was a little too loyal to some guys but the Bennett trade was a great one!
          3. Injuries definitely but actually the the old injures that bled into the season killed continuity. No Jeffery No Jernigan or Wentz at the beginning.
          4. Draft didn't seem as fruitful.
          5. Brain drain hurt but I believe not replacing with an outside voice hurt more. Its a copycat league. Teams study tendencies and everything the champs do. getting guys from the outside the team may have helped with a different perspective and fire!
          6. Salary cap. I don't think they managed the cap as well I would have liked after winning the Super Bowl. Goes back to the loyalty factor.

Comment

I said and will continue to say that they gave alot to win a title last year. Draft picks for players. Then when they won it all, they were down the list for waiver claims or FA pickups.

I'm good with everything they did, but it left them with just 5 draft picks. Only one in the top 124. 2 after pick 206. They went into the season with talent, but less depth and injury concerns.

Torrey Smith was the one guy that stretched the field. We replaced him with Wallace and then he got hurt.

HB was still lacking a true dual threat. Add in Ajayi injury and it hurts even more.

Wentz not having a full offseason clearly hurt. He's had a tough year. Alot on him. Alot has to do with lack of playmakers that scare defenses. TE's and possession WRs is not enough.

OLine regressed

D lived on depth and freshness last year. Losing Barnett and Jernigan has hurt. Ignoring getting a true playmaking LB hurt. I already thought McLeod was average to below at safety. Once we lost him, it was even worse.

The defensive scheme of backing off the corners is still an issue. It worked last year because we had such a deep D-line and put pressure on the QB. We really need some man on man and bump and run in this D. Maybe that means Schwartz has to go.

If I were to rank offseason needs, I'd do it this way
            1. Bellcow playmaking HB
            2. Speed playmaking WR
            3. side to side LB stud
            4. move Rasul to safety

this league is about playmakers at all levels on offense and speed on defense. we lack in both right now

there are other needs. But we have players in other positions and.or can fill them cheap in FA.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
              I said and will continue to say that they gave alot to win a title last year. Draft picks for players. Then when they won it all, they were down the list for waiver claims or FA pickups.

I'm good with everything they did, but it left them with just 5 draft picks. Only one in the top 124. 2 after pick 206. They went into the season with talent, but less depth and injury concerns.

Torrey Smith was the one guy that stretched the field. We replaced him with Wallace and then he got hurt.

HB was still lacking a true dual threat. Add in Ajayi injury and it hurts even more.

Wentz not having a full offseason clearly hurt. He's had a tough year. Alot on him. Alot has to do with lack of playmakers that scare defenses. TE's and possession WRs is not enough.

OLine regressed

D lived on depth and freshness last year. Losing Barnett and Jernigan has hurt. Ignoring getting a true playmaking LB hurt. I already thought McLeod was average to below at safety. Once we lost him, it was even worse.

The defensive scheme of backing off the corners is still an issue. It worked last year because we had such a deep D-line and put pressure on the QB. We really need some man on man and bump and run in this D. Maybe that means Schwartz has to go.

1. Bellcow playmaking HB
              2. Speed playmaking WR
              3. side to side LB stud
              4. move Rasul to safety

this league is about playmakers at all levels on offense and speed on defense. we lack in both right now

there are other needs. But we have players in other positions and.or can fill them cheap in FA.
              He might make a good one but he's not really awful at corner either. His interception where he came off his man to get it was a ballhawk move. Pretty cool on that play.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

OLine regressed

1. Bellcow playmaking HB
                2. Speed playmaking WR
                3. side to side LB stud
                4. move Rasul to safety

Sorry Dawk but O Line need is still a top priority IMM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  We should try to find out what our youngsters can do first. Most of them are already playing on defense unfortunately.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    We need to do all we can do to protect Wentz. We will go as far as he takes us. Anyone wanna count on catching magic in a backup QB like we did last year happening again?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      We should try to find out what our youngsters can do first. Most of them are already playing on defense unfortunately.
                      Of course that needs to happen, goes without saying--- but I don't out much hope because if they had shown much more they still wouldn't be were they are. At any rate they need to address the O-Line as a top priority this year--- As I suggested they do last year.

Comment

O-line has got to be the #1 priority. The left side specifically. They need a stud left guard, and they need to figure out how they are going to replace Peters, because he's going to continue to regress due to his age. Seumalo is just a guy.

After that, I'm looking at the defensive secondary. They have a lot of questions that need to be answered with that unit.

Then, we can talk about LBers, D tackles, and RBs.

I'm just glad they won the damned hardware. They went all in, and it payed off, but now they are paying the price. Howie, Joe, and company have their work cut out for them.

Comment

Let's be real here. Before last year I can't recall anyone talking about this being a great OL. At best people said they were okay. Maybe I am wrong there. Once they started playing well there were pundits talking about them being the best in the league but I'm not sure people on here were calling them best in league. I also don't recall anyone thinking Peters was going to be a stud this year. I seem to think people were questioning whether he (and Sproles for that matter) would be able to come back to his former self. Kelce has always been talked about as too light in the ass but he is able to get out to the next level. Brooks has had issues with anxiety or some such thing and Johnson was one test away from being suspended. And the Wis/Warmack/or who position has had question.
                          My point is they played together well as a position group when Big V stepped in but the OL hasn't been without question for a long time. Left tackle is obviously the biggest question mark. Gotta have a good one. Then gotta have an answer for guard. Brooks seems to have his issues under control and then Lane seems to have his testing under control (that we know of). So if I see a sure thing LT I get him. If not we need to see what V and Johnson can do (whichever side they work). A road grader guard that may be a future T is what I look for. If I have that I think you can live with Kelce but I would always have an eye out for a bigger C.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

A part of me wonders if this is an aftereffect of what Chip Kelly did to the roster, as Roseman had to sacrifice picks and depth to plaster over the cracks left by Kelly's moves. Surely, giving up picks and grabbing Wentz wasn't on Kelly. IMO Roseman HAD to go get him. But being put in the position to have to sacrifice picks and such to rebuild a supporting cast around the new QB is what I think contributed to what is playing out this season. The injuries don't help either!

Heck, the injuries may be the MAJOR factor! Killing any advantage of depth, and magnifying any lack of depth

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                              Let's be real here. Before last year I can't recall anyone talking about this being a great OL. At best people said they were okay. Maybe I am wrong there. Once they started playing well there were pundits talking about them being the best in the league but I'm not sure people on here were calling them best in league. I also don't recall anyone thinking Peters was going to be a stud this year. I seem to think people were questioning whether he (and Sproles for that matter) would be able to come back to his former self. Kelce has always been talked about as too light in the ass but he is able to get out to the next level. Brooks has had issues with anxiety or some such thing and Johnson was one test away from being suspended. And the Wis/Warmack/or who position has had question.
                              My point is they played together well as a position group when Big V stepped in but the OL hasn't been without question for a long time. Left tackle is obviously the biggest question mark. Gotta have a good one. Then gotta have an answer for guard. Brooks seems to have his issues under control and then Lane seems to have his testing under control (that we know of). So if I see a sure thing LT I get him. If not we need to see what V and Johnson can do (whichever side they work). A road grader guard that may be a future T is what I look for. If I have that I think you can live with Kelce but I would always have an eye out for a bigger C.
                              Well I will disagree a bit here-- some of us, mainly me I guess, did see this coming last year. We questioned this O Lines depth and attention given by the F/O. They did play well enough last year, for me to eat some crow by mid season or so. But a lot of the O Line was also covered up be Wentz's phenomenal play. But that error(last year) IMHO is exactly what is showing up this year. For the "most" part this line has been together all year and they are proving that they are not even an above average line, and we have to talk about revamping that line in order to protect our franchise QB. And
                              IMM you do need to be "THAT" good upfront to win in this league as it is structured now. This is an offensive league now, the league supports it, the ref's support it, and the rules support it--- and you can not be weak/below average/ average on the O-Line to win in this league. Yes you need skill players but if you have the good O Line--- your skill players will all look better.

IMHO, our skill positions players are good enough, especially if Wallace and Tate return, and RB gets healthy--- so build the best O Line you can NOW while you still have the skill players. Remember AR's downfall here was that he went the opposite way and never had the good enough skill players (at least at WR) to compliment a pretty damn good O Line.

This league has changed --- it is "almost" all predicated on Offense.

Comment

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. I absolutely recall you regularly calling out the OL. Maybe I am wrong but I don't recall anyone saying they were a great OL; maybe you do remember someone. I also recall some pundits saying they may be the best in the league while at the same time I recall people on here questioning that-- throughout the year. What I will say is there were people questioning what should be a priority. An upgrade at this position or that position. IMM you will always have that. Even in the NFL you have defensive minded coaches and offensive minded coaches. I also know some people on here said they had some talent. You have to admit Johnson has talent, Brooks has talent, Kelce has talent, Peters had talent.
                                Having said that I will say that as I noted above they need to work the OL. They have to replace Peters (personally I have always been skeptical of he and Sproles recovering due to age). They have to fix the Wis/Warmack situation. Kelce--maybe can be replaced but he also maybe a lot better if he had a better left side of the line. Johnson and Brooks should be okay because they have the talent to be okay. I just am not close enough to them to know if they have the mental desire to be good.
                                I haven't read any other thoughts on particular players so I am not sure who people think aren't pulling their weight
                                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                                Hope is not a strategy
                                RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X