New rant about prevent defense---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rant about prevent defense---

Anybody see the end of the Seahawks and Rams game last night?

I still can not understand why everybody still plays this type of defense at the end of games!!!

Seahawks and the prevent defense just allowed the Rams to march down the field and only by the grace of God and the missing of a very makeable FG did they hold on.

Someone need to explain to me why this is a good scheme??? Anybody?

Never understood it myself. I know there is a theory that they are trying to prevent the big play. Well it really doesn't matter if you get beat by one big play or six small plays; at the end of the night it is a loss. I think I could actually argue that it is better to give up that big play because you might get the ball back with time to score.
    I am sure though there that are those who would say 'see we ran the prevent and they didn't score'. They conveniently forget they were lucky in the missed field goal.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Yep. 1:50 on the clock, with no time outs and just needing a FG is a LOT of time. All you need is 40-50 yds to get into FG range. The D goes into prevent and lets them throw patterns underneath and then run out of bounds for about 10-12 yards a pop.

Seattle did blitz a few times to keep them honest. But, when they didn't blitz they were in that stupid prevent. ugghh.

Comment

Let them catch the ball 6 times in a row and give them plenty of room to get out of bounds. Works for me!
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Imm... you either trust your D or you don’t. Seems that you play 58 minutes one way and something magical happens and you play the last 2 as if you are a scared rabbit. Ok, you know they are going to pass a bunch so play the appropriate defense and not like it is some zombie apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            Imm... you either trust your D or you don’t. Seems that you play 58 minutes one way and something magical happens and you play the last 2 as if you are a scared rabbit. Ok, you know they are going to pass a bunch so play the appropriate defense and not like it is some zombie apocalypse.
            Why would anybody practice those situations on defense when 90% of the games come down to the last possession? I think there's a rule that only allows the offense to practice two minute drills.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
            X