• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual(ly) All Kinds of Problems

this could be an epic shit show

2020 NFL Draft: The NFL is off to a 'brutal' start with its virtual draft
    By Dan Roche April 21, 2020 8:00 AM
    Sometimes the jokes just write themselves. As the NFL prepares for a very unique virtual 2020 Draft this week, the league conducted a dry run Monday afternoon with all 32 teams conducting a mock two-round rehearsal.

It’s no surprise there some kinks to be worked out, but according to one report, they began very early on.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
    Text from a participant on the NFL’s mock draft that started at 1 pm EST. “Mock draft today already technical glitch w Cincinnatis 1st pick!!! Brutal.”

1:24 PM - Apr 20, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    3,666 people are talking about this
    I mean, it’s almost a given that Cincinnati will draft LSU quarterback Joe Burrow. Maybe they should email the commissioner their pick now, just to be safe.

The hilarity continued later Monday afternoon with this account of a conversation with one head coach involved in the league-run practice draft:

Dianna Russini

@diannaESPN
    I was on the phone with a head coach talking about the mock draft today and he was losing his mind because his Internet went down...apparently his young children were all on their iPads using up the band width. “ everybody get off the Internet”-in loud dad voice.
    I hung up.

4:15 PM - Apr 20, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    1,077 people are talking about this
    HONEY! TELL THE KIDS TO COOL IT WITH THE TIKTOK!

DADDY’S ON THE CLOCK! PLEASE!

Could you imagine your franchise’s future in the balance, and time runs out on your pick in the 1st round of the draft, all because your kid won’t quit an epic Fortnite Battle Royale?

Oh man. I wonder if there’s a sports book in Las Vegas offering odds on the first NFL front office member to draft a player from their bathroom. Or which one will be guilty the most times of not muting themselves when they’re not on the clock. For the first time in my life, I’m prepared to bet heavily on Jerry Jones.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I would think the Eagles have their setup at NovaCare and at least won't have that problem to deal with. That cheapass owner of the Bengals probably has some nickel rocket crap for his team.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Can't have it at NovaCare-- has to be at home
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        Can't have it at NovaCare-- has to be at home
        That sounds unnecessary to me but I believe you. Still, if there's a team to screw things up with cheap equipment it will be them.

Comment

Not sure what the deal was but I recall NFL telling all teams that they can't have any people together; even if they have social distance. And then they told teams that the GMs and HC couldn't be together and had to be at their homes. At least that is what I recall
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Not sure what the deal was but I recall NFL telling all teams that they can't have any people together; even if they have social distance. And then they told teams that the GMs and HC couldn't be together and had to be at their homes. At least that is what I recall
            What a crock of shit.

Comment

This is so easy its not funny. They are trying to make this harder than it looks. They don't even need the internet to do this. Just several phone lines.

1. Each team has its own conference line for the decision makers
              2. Each of those decision makers have two additional phone lines to field trade calls.
              3. They get offers they go back to their main conference line and discuss. They get on the clock they get on their conference line and discuss.

4. Leaque has a conference line setup for teams to call into to make selections and to report trades. That line has Rodger and whomever else on it. Pick or trade is made. Rodger goes over to unmanned TV Camera in his house and announces the pick.

Not that hard
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

If my FFL can have a real time draft tracker showing all available players by overall ranking as well as by position there is no excuse for an $8 Billion a year league to have these kinds of issues.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                X