Five Reasons Why We Should Not Sign Lelie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Reasons Why We Should Not Sign Lelie

Below are five reasons why the Eagles should not sign Ashley Lelie. Perhaps other posters can add more reasons.

1. He isn’t that good. WhileLelie does have a high YPC average, he is inconsistent and his courage has been questioned numerous times. He drops passes at crucial times (Hence, the similarity to Pinky!)

Lelie’s lack of production cannot be blamed on Jake Plummer. Rod Smith caught 85 passes from Plummer last season, when he was 35 years old. Lelie caught 42 passes. Mike Shanahan has stated publicly that Lelie was given every chance to become the number one receiver on the Broncos, and he failed. That is why the Broncos decided to bring in Javon Walker, and place him ahead of Lelie.

2. The Eagles are not going to bring in another player with the potential to self-destruct ala T.O.. Lelie’s refusal to report to camp is a warning sign. It indicates that he places himself above the team, and is willing to hurt himself and his team to make a point about his value. I don’t think we want to go down that road again.

3. We really don’t need him. While our receiver corps may not be top notch, there are plenty of viable targets for McNabb and the offense to be successful. No one is better than Westbrook coming out of the backfield, and our tight ends are not bad. Reggie Brown has the potential to be a star. Baskett and Avant have also demonstrated that they have some playing ability. Gafney and McCants can also contribute. We may, in fact, have the deepest group of wide receivers on the team since McNabb became quarterback. There is no reason for us to sacrifice a draft choice or someone who can actually play.

4. Lelie’s presence may hinder the development of the promising receivers that we already have in Baskett, Avant and Bloom. Lelie has already missed a sizeable portion of training camp. It will take time for him to learn the offense (Even if he has played in a similar offense, it will take some time for him to master the terminology, learn the routes, and become familiar with McNabb’s passing style.). Time and attention devoted to his learning detracts from the training and playing time that could be given to the youngsters we already have on the roster.

5. He has only one year remaining on his contract, and he may be difficult to sign. If he is complaining about his treatment by the Broncos, how is he going to react if the Eagles don’t meet his payroll demands – particularly if he doesn’t produce? The Birds aren’t known for their generosity (Just ask Trotter). It could be one and done.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

As it might be with Gaffney. LOL!

Hey, I'm feeling more and more that way. I don't really feel a need for Lelie, or anyone at WR. I think we are fine keeping what we have and seeing how they develop.

Pick up a RB or LB if you just HAVE to go shopping, or perhaps a #3 QB?????? But this group of WRs is going to show they can get it done.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I understand your comments Stock. They are good points.

But, I still want Lelie. He is better than Pinkston IMHO. And, right now this team has too many Gaffney type receivers and not enough guys that can get deep. I am very afraid of teams crowding the line of scrimmage because they don't respect any of our receiver's speed.

Maybe I am putting too much emphesis in the speed. But, I have seen the Eagles completely shut down enough teams in the past when they did not have to respect the deep pass (either from a QB with a poor arm or the lack of WR speed).

Plus, I am salivating after watching the highlight reel. I know that it is meant to showcase the highlights. But, there were a lot of them.

If you replace Plummer with McNabb on several of those throws, then Lelie goes untouched into the endzone.

If Lelie wants out of Denver bad enough, then he should agree to a new contract negotiation as part of the trade.

I just wish something would happen one way or another. The wait is getting tiresome.

Comment

Good points Stock, there is no way we need a WR who is a coward going for the ball on the field and a coward about going for his job in camp. And he will want a big new contract.....fuhgetaboutit.

Comment

Re: Five Reasons Why We Should Not Sign Lelie

Originally posted by stocknowledge

2. The Eagles are not going to bring in another player with the potential to self-destruct ala T.O.. Lelie’s refusal to report to camp is a warning sign. It indicates that he places himself above the team, and is willing to hurt himself and his team to make a point about his value. I don’t think we want to go down that road again.
          Stock,

Although all 5 of your reasons have merit, I think #2 is the strongest. The Birds went against their standing policy of trying to avoid players of questionable character when they went after Owens. They got burnt badly and although Lelie is not the head case Owens is, he's also a much less talented wide out.

I just don't see the Birds taking a risk on a one dimensional burner with clear potential to disrupt if he doesn't get his way.

F' him!

Comment

I will say this, if the Eagles don't sign Lelie, then I will trust that Andy made the correct decision. He certainly knows more than my highlight film watching, beer drinking @ss

Comment

I would like him here for this year and then see how things play out. Baskett is a great story, but to say he is unproven is an understatement - not comfortable with him as starter. This receiver corps is not bad, but there is no blazer in the lot, except for GLew, who I think may be gone. Speed kills, and Lelie has it. As for his impending FA status, we'd get a decent compensatory pick if he doesn't re-sign, so what's so bad about that?
              Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
              Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Stock,

I am in the camp that believes that we do not need Lelie, so I agree with all of your reasons.

While many may claim that Lelie is better than Pinkston, I do not see how that can be a reasonable conclusion.

Consider that Lelie was not a primary option in Denver and did not garner attention from defenses, his numbers are not that much better than what we get from a healthy Pinkston. In addition, taking a look at the struggles Gaffney has had in getting acclimated to a new offense, what makes anyone think that Lelie can come in and have any major impact in the Eagles offense this season.

If Pinkston has to be IRed, I am willing to go with our current WR corp as is. This reminds me of all the gloom and doom we heard when the young CBs were taking over from Taylor and Vincent, yet the stepped up and did the job. Let's give our young WRs their shot.

Comment

If we go with the Receivers we have now they will be lucky to go 8-8 this year.

1- If Lelie is not that good then our WRs suck because he has proven more than any of them. Brown has potential but as of right now he has done nothing in the NFL.

2- LMFAO...the guy is not going to go the route of TO. Eagle fans are becoming paranoid that everyone will be like TO. Lelie NEVER had problems before he was demoted to #3. Next years salary depends on what he does now so I can't blame him for wanting out.

3- If Reggie Brown suffers any kind of injury the season is done. Baskett and McCants are nice camp stories but if we have to count on the likes of them we are toast. I saw Gaffney on the side of my milk container.

4- We are going for a Super Bowl and you put the best players on the field. Hindering development is what you worry about when your team is 4-12 every year. Right now HB, JB, or JA are nowhere near where Lelie is right now.

Bloom has done nothing, Avant has done nothing. What makes them so promising?

Once you have played in a WCO you already have it down. Hell TO is not the brightest bulb but he came in and got it down quickly. Besides if Lelie would have such a hard time learning the offense how do you think the younger guys will do? The one and only thing he will have to get used to is the way McNabb throws.

5- If and I mean IF they trade for him he will have to agree to an extension before he gets here so IMO #5 is moot. The Eagles will never settle for a one year rental unless it benefits them. In this case it doesn't.

If the Eagles stick with the guys we have at WR right now it's going to be a long season. I have no confidence in Reid developing a WR. Everybody blames Culley for the WRs but Culley is not the guy drafting them.
                  FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I was assuming Pinky won't be good to go or at least not 100%. With a healthy Pinky, no need for Lelie as they are similar players. Without Pinky, Lelie improves the team imo. He'll behave in a contract year. His problem in Denver is that he won't be able to put up numbers with Smith and Walker as the top 2 options. Young guys will still get touches with him here. McCants, Avant, Bloom, Baskett don't have the pedigree that Lito and Sheldon had (#1 and #2 picks). nor the track record to overlook that. Not saying Lelie would transform the offense or anything, but I think he would help.
                    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

If we could get Lelie for a 4th rd. pick or later and a player (that we'd be cutting anyway) I say take a flyer on him and see how he does. If he's great sign him to a long term deal if not cut and we lose a pick, big deal. I've seen quite enough of Stinkston and his tired act. This team doesn't need a coward out there! Lelie is fater than any one we have and in theory would help open things up underneath, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him here. Even though I'm very excited about the young wr this year, especially Jason Avant!
                      Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Blitz, I disagree with you. I think what the Eagles and Reid learned most from the T.O. fiasco was the need to look first at the character of the player. If Lelie was a high character guy, he would be in camp preparing to have the best performance possible in the upcoming season because he will be entering free agency next March. That's when he would get paid. If he wants to get paid like a #1, then he has to perform on the field like a #1. He's not going to get paid by whining and skipping camp.

Either he has gotten bad advice from his agent, or he is just stupid and selfish. Either way, I don't think the Eagles FO thinks too highly of him.
                        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by flyered
                          I was assuming Pinky won't be good to go or at least not 100%. With a healthy Pinky, no need for Lelie as they are similar players. Without Pinky, Lelie improves the team imo. He'll behave in a contract year. His problem in Denver is that he won't be able to put up numbers with Smith and Walker as the top 2 options. Young guys will still get touches with him here. McCants, Avant, Bloom, Baskett don't have the pedigree that Lito and Sheldon had (#1 and #2 picks). nor the track record to overlook that. Not saying Lelie would transform the offense or anything, but I think he would help.
                          Flyered,

There is a difference between pedigree and ability, and many times the two are not synonymous. There has been many instances of supposed can't miss players with the right pedigree that became busts in the NFL, as well as those so called mutts that became stars.

The point of my comparison to the young CB's starting a few years ago is this - Just as the coaching staff determined that Lito and Sheldon were ready to step up, if the coaching staff has made the same assessment that the young WR's can handle the task, then they should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

"Just as the coaching staff determined that Lito and Sheldon were ready to step up, if the coaching staff has made the same assessment that the young WR's can handle the task, then they should be given the benefit of the doubt. "

ED, will you say the same thing if they do trade for Lelie?

See personally I don't think that is an indictment of the young WR's if they get him, I think he personally brings something that this O needs that the other guys don't bring. A little experience and a lot of proven deep speed.

Actually the fact that are even talking toi the Bronco's about him, if we assume the reports to be true, surely sez something on it's own.

Comment

If we were going to grab Lelie, I wish we would have done it a few weeks ago. At this point, he would have missed all of TC, and a lot of chemistry building time with the ofense. There might even be some resentment towards him. Don't really need that, IMO. Now, if we had signed him a few weeks back, the foundation would have been strionger, he could have gotten some practice in, built a rapport with Donnie and crew, and made a pretty nice transition, but the longer this goes on and the later we wait, the less I like the idea.
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                              X