Dallas media getting angry over missed practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas media getting angry over missed practices

Ok, I'll use the words "flat-out PISSED!" Read on, just read on............

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eldorado's TO saga deepens

By RANDY GALLOWAY
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. - The most impressive specimen of a player on the practice field here Tuesday was none other than some guy named Owens.

The size. The power. The speed.

Man, was he fast. And was he something to behold.

One-hundred-yard sprints at max RPM. I saw two of them, and he might have done more.

To watch that, and Bill Parcells apparently was sneaking a view from the other practice field, you'd have thought this guy named Owens was the healthiest player in Cowboys camp.

And certainly the most well-rested.

Absolutely no way, I'm thinking, that after that public display in the morning this guy named Owens wouldn't finally be back in uniform and tearing it up in the afternoon practice session.

Wrong, stupid.

At 5 p.m. PDT, this guy named Owens showed up in sweats, once again climbed atop the same sideline stationary bike that now has his permanent butt print, and started slowly peddling away.

Make it 14 consecutive practices over the last two weeks that Eldorado Owens has now missed.

It's a hamstring problem, don't you know.

A guy runs 10-flat 100s in the morning as 80 other players practice in full uniform, and then the same guy gives himself yet another hamstring pass in the afternoon.

But there was also another impressive individual workout session by Owens in the afternoon.

The picture of heath, he is. And still no practice.

A classic battle continues in this camp.

A battle of authority, egos and manhood.

Big Bill in one corner, Owens in the other.

Round 1 has clearly gone to Owens.

He is beating Parcells at Parcells' game: Intimidation.

I don't know if Parcells has ever lost one of these in all his coaching days.

Some say he had to be cutting Lawrence Taylor a lot of slack way back there, but most of that was supposed to involve Taylor's off-the-field issues.

Owens flat doesn't want to practice, obviously. Parcells is a stickler for players being on the practice field.

In an interesting contradiction Monday, Parcells was seen berating receiver Terry Glenn for missing work with blisters on the bottom of his feet.

Less than 20 yards away, Owens sat on a bike, with no one blistering his ears.

Parcells is losing this battle. Forget the personalities involved; it's very bad for a football team when the coach is not in total charge.

That goes double for a coach with the pedigree of Parcells.

As Owens was doing from his very first missed workout in this camp, and was still doing Tuesday, he has strongly marked his territory.

Owens is in charge of Owens. No one else is in charge of Owens.

He will practice, and he will play, when he says he's ready to practice or to play.

(Where are all you Cow sheep who were telling me that Owens would be a saint in his first year here, because he had been in Philly? By the way, the same sheep said he would never push a Parcells like he did a nice guy named Andy Reid in Philadelphia.)

It took Eldorado less than a week in Oxnard to become a major distraction. And excuse my told-you-so, but this is just the start.

Even a minimum amount of research revealed that Owens was a problem his first year with the Eagles, but much of it stayed under wraps because the Eagles were so good that season.

Owens was a prime reason for them being Super Bowl good.

If it's any consolation for the Cowboys, at least all of this is out in the open in Oxnard. Let there be no mistake or confusion about what is happening right from the start.

A popular theory here is Owens will practice today, maybe Thursday, so he can play on national TV on Monday night.

Another theory is that Parcells, remarkably docile so far on Owens, will have had a "come-to-Jesus" meeting with Owens by today.

A practice-or-else line drawn in the dirt.

Team insiders say Parcells is seething over Owens.

But I'll have to take their word for it.

The man sure seems calm.

When asked Tuesday about Owens' impressive display of power sprinting that morning, Bill had patience with the questioner.

"He also ran yesterday," he answered. But then finally backed off the topic by adding, "I really don't have much to say. This subject is getting redundant."

Parcells can't win here. This Owens muscle-flexing will end when Owens decides it will end.

There is only one way to beat this kind of ego. Don't sign him in the first place. Don't give him 10 mil guaranteed. Jerry, are you listening now?

You invite trouble, there will be trouble.

This kind of trouble can make you on Sunday, but the track record says Owens will eventually break you.

When in this training camp does Parcells reach his breaking point?

Those 100-yard sprints were mighty impressive Tuesday morning. Impressive in speed and power, but also in Owens' flexing his you-can't-touch-me authority for all to see.

Randy Galloway's Galloway & Co. can be heard weekdays 3-6 p.m. on ESPN/103.3 FM.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Priceless.

Well, they got what they wanted, I guess. One thing that can't be argued is that you know he will show up on game day. He's still gonna be dangerous whether he practices or not. But you've gotta hope that the fracturing of the Cowpies organization is beginning already.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

ESPN News has had this on every morning. I think they ...ESPN is delibertly trying to create a TO-Parcells fued.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/DAL/9602482

I don't know what the big deal is ...myself. TO says he'll practice when he's ready. Parcells said on there this morning ... he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

This is an example of ESPN not practing responsible sports journalism ... in my humble opinion. Sure, the team wants him out there because they want him to learn the offensive system but let's not forget it's TO.

Comment

I see your point Rabbit, I've believed from the beginning that the media would create a problem even if there really wasn't one. For Owens to just ignore two weeks of practice because you feel like it, that's taking "special treatment" for a star player too far though.

I'm sure Parcells is tired of talking to the media...and that he thinks of Owens pedaling on his bike every time someone asks him a question about it.

Maybe Dallas'll have Owens run really simple patterns because he won't know the offense, and he'll need to rely on physical skills during a lot of the season?
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

There was one thing about last year I didn't consider regarding his escape to Dallas...his pathology.

We thought last years punishment may have set him afloat for 1 year in Dallas. What I realize now is that his antics were reinforced by Dallas ponying up the cash he wanted. Like any unreasonable animal whether it be a child or a dog his bad behavior was rewarded and hence it continues. Their 1st mistake was talking to Owens, the 2nd was agreeing to his terms...the net result is what they have today.

Comment

So how do you think Glenn feels? Not only does the Coach rip him a new one, but he does it in front of the media and with Owens and his bike in plain sight. Terry Glenn HAS to be feeling some resentment right now. The question is, could PArcells be doing this on purpose to create harsh feelings and use peer pressure to try to get Owens to change his ways? I wouldn't be surprised at all it were. Not that I think it'll work, but Parcells might just be thinking if it works he gets TO to act like a good teammate and if it doesn't he has the whole team bitching enough to get Jerry to agree to dump Owens. Either way he wins - of course he might just lose the season over it. Man love it!! Dallas Sucks!!! Dallas Sucks!!! Dallas Sucks!!! Dallas Sucks!!! Dallas Sucks!!!...
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I don't think Glenn feels slighted at all. Parcells and he have a relationship that goes way back and evn when Parcells gets on him now, Glenn doesn't take it to heart.

And I think people are looking at this all wrong. It's assumed that Parcells is afraid to confront Owens and that his reluctance to yell at Owens is the proof.

Personally, I think Parcells just doesn't care and is ignoring Owens. He didn't want him to begin with and refuses to get sucked into an Owens fight. Parcells has too long of a track record at blowing up at players to suddenly become a wuss with Owens.

Comment

Good points., Ty.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                  Good points., Ty.
                  To take it even a step further, I think the reason Parcells is ignoring him is because Owens really hasn't "poisoned" the team yet. No player seems upset Owens is out with an injury, no player feels slighted and Owens hasn't negatively affected any player.

So Parcells just lets him do what he does, ignores him, etc. It seems like he gets more annoyed at the press asking the same questions every day than he actually is upset with Owens.

Now, when Owens' attitude affects the team, then Mount Parcells will explode IMO. Right now, Owens' little Tour De Dallas act isn't really upsetting anyone.

Comment

What the big deal is?

1 - Owens has never been in any offense outside of the WCO
                    2 - Owens has never played with Bledsoe before
                    3 - Owens is not practicing and the rest of the team has to (Grown men don't really enjoy different rules for them than others)
                    4 - Owens is polluting Terry Glenn to think he can do whatever he wants to (Remember Glenn is no choir boy)
                    5 - Owens is making a mockery out of Parcells - WHEN PARCELLS ENTIRE STRATEGY as a coach relies on "RESPECT"

This is just so funny. And contrary to some here - this is a HUGE DEAL.
                    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                    Playoff Appearances:
                    NFC Title Games:
                    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Doesn't matter BP.

I might tick some of you guys off for saying this ...but you show me a better catch and run reciever in the National Football League than Owens. And untill somebody proves he's better, that's the way it'll stay.

Practice or no practice.

Maybe ...just maybe, Owens knows what he's doing with this. Maybe he figures he's better off getting this behind him now and being 100% ready for the REAL season when it starts.

That's not saying Owens isn't an idiot off the field or maybe in the lockerroom because he is. But I still think the media ... especially ESPN is going a little too far trying to create something that's not really a big deal right now. If Owens was doing this during the regular season, then there might be something to this because people would start to claim that Owens is dogging it. But I can't imagine Owens ever doing that with the cameras in place and a game to play.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                        What the big deal is?

1 - Owens has never been in any offense outside of the WCO
                        2 - Owens has never played with Bledsoe before
                        3 - Owens is not practicing and the rest of the team has to (Grown men don't really enjoy different rules for them than others)
                        4 - Owens is polluting Terry Glenn to think he can do whatever he wants to (Remember Glenn is no choir boy)
                        5 - Owens is making a mockery out of Parcells - WHEN PARCELLS ENTIRE STRATEGY as a coach relies on "RESPECT"

This is just so funny. And contrary to some here - this is a HUGE DEAL.
                        There is a lot of assumptions there BP. How do you know he has polluted Glenn? How do you know the team has ill feelings towards Owens for not practicing?

We will agree to disagree but I think the media is making a bigger deal out of this than there really is at this point. It certainly can get worse (and it eventually will at some point), but right now, I think Parcells is more annoyed that he has to answer questions abotu Owens daily than the fact that Owens isn't practicing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Philly Rabbit
                          Doesn't matter BP.

I might tick some of you guys off for saying this ...but you show me a better catch and run reciever in the National Football League than Owens. And untill somebody proves he's better, that's the way it'll stay.

Practice or no practice.

Maybe ...just maybe, Owens knows what he's doing with this. Maybe he figures he's better off getting this behind him now and being 100% ready for the REAL season when it starts.

That's not saying Owens isn't an idiot off the field or maybe in the lockerroom because he is. But I still think the media ... especially ESPN is going a little too far trying to create something that's not really a big deal right now. If Owens was doing this during the regular season, then there might be something to this because people would start to claim that Owens is dogging it. But I can't imagine Owens ever doing that with the cameras in place and a game to play.
                          * How did that work out for the 2003 49ers? 2005 Eagles? You basically are saying chemistry and organizational peace mean zero.

Noway do I agree with that.
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

How long did it take him to come back from a broken leg to play in the Super Bowl?

Like I said, practice vs. the season. It's just a possibility ... is all I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Philly Rabbit
                              Doesn't matter BP.

Practice or no practice.

I will argue that you are disregarding owens pathology. Owens antics seem to be little skin off parcells back. However, parcells and jones are making comments that owens WILL find offensive...and WILL cause him to lash out like last year. subconsciously owens cannot tolerate any afront to his ego. as a result any time he feels slighted he escalates his behaviou in retaliation.

lets not even get into the early camp tragedy of bledsoe's throwing performance...ok, lets! do not think for a second that owens feels that bledsoe is worthy of throwing him the ball. an ego like owens will eat himself up over this. he is the best...how dare the cowboys not provide him a premier talent to throw him the ball.

you need to look at this through owens pathetic little mind...you will see how big of a deal all of this is.

Comment

Working...
                              X