Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGN: How much does Reid's long tenure in the NFL aid the Eagles' ability to make draft-day trades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGN: How much does Reid's long tenure in the NFL aid the Eagles' ability to make draft-day trades?

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...gles#storyjump

How much does Andy Reid's long tenure in the NFL aid the Eagles' ability to make draft-day trades?

I caught a very interesting video on ESPN this morning in which Mike Tirico interviewed Bill Parcells about the secrecy of draft boards, dealing with other GM's, and some other interesting nuggets about the draft process. It's basically a 2 and a half minute teaser for a 90 minute show, but they really packed some good stuff into the teaser. First off, there's a draft board behind Parcells and Tirico, with players set up by round. The board is presumably how Parcells sees it, and Richard Hill of SB Nation's Patriots' blog, Pats Pulpit, has done the leg work of deciphering how Parcells sees it.

While I'll let you all agree or disagree with Parcells' rankings, I'll focus on a tidbit that Parcells threw out on how he preferred dealing with teams around the league that have been around for a long time. Whenever you hear people talk about the two teams that like to move around a lot in the draft, you always hear the Eagles and Patriots. Not coincidentally in my opinion, Andy Reid and Bill Belichick just happen to be the two longest tenured coaches in the NFL. Perhaps it's not as much that the Eagles love to move around so much... Maybe it's equally important that they can move around so much because other folks around the league trust Reid. I think other teams would like to move around as much as the Eagles do, but maybe haven't developed the kinds of relationships that Reid has over the past decade +.

Tirico's and Parcells' exchange...
    Parcells: If we're trying to trade up we're talking to teams above us. What's it gonna take to get up there?

Tirico: How does one of those phone calls go?

Parcells: (role-playing) "Hey, it's Parcells. We're looking to move pick 21. What's it take to get up to 13?" (breaking character and talking to Tirico again) We'd like to get that deal set with that team in advance. OK, you might have to negotiate, argue a little bit, and then they say (role-playing again), "Well if our player is gone, we'll make the trade." (breaking character again) And then we have the price set so we don't get caught in the time constraints on the draft clock.

Tirico: On the other side of it, there's always been a lot of misinformation that we hear things are going on, but they're not really happening. What about amongst the teams?
    Parcells: Well I'd say that depends on the individual relationship they have with the teams, you know, I did a lot of business with Ron Wolf when he was in the league. You can't compromise people that you've been doing business with for years so everything you tell them is pretty much straightforward. Others that you don't know you can only tell they're lying when their lips move.
    I hate using fantasy football as a reference, but for those of you that play, think for second about trades that you've made in the past in your various leagues. Are you more likely to deal with an old high school buddy that you've known for 15 years, or the guy that's a friend of a friend that was a last minute addition to the league because another one of your friends had to drop out? It's human nature to trust who we know.
Working...
X