This week's game is on TVUplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rspurr
    "After reading this I went to Softpedia.com and downloaded the needed, free BitTorrent and TVUplayer software. "

I downloaded TVUPLayer and I get the FOX channel. This should work for me tomorrow, right?

What is BitTorrent?

Well you dont need BitTorrent for this to work. Someone got confused somewhere.

TVUplayer and SOPcast work a lot like BitTorrent, except the host is not a file, its a TV stream.

BitTorrent is a means for distributing content, be it videos, music, files, etc. over the internet.
    You goto indexing sites like BitTorrent.com (official site) and search for torrent files. You download the .torrent file and open it in your BitTorrent client (Azureus, uTorrent, BitComet, BitTorrent Official). The .torrent file tells the client what tracker to connect to and what information to obtain for downloading.

The tracker is a remote server which contains the information necessary to contact users who are hosting the content you wish to download.

A person who hosts the file, be it the video, music, files, etc. creates the torrent file and tells the tracker (through the program) that he is hosting the file. People then download the .torrent file and use the information that the host sent to the tracker to contact the host and download the file.

Once users start downloading the file from the host, they themselves become hosts for whatever they have downloaded.

So when 200 people or something connect to the torrent, its not 200 people downloading from the host simultaneously. It is 200 people in a big spider web distributing the pieces of the host file which they have downloaded from the host amongst each other.

Thats a very simplistic explanation.

Comment

Thanks again for this explaination Tokar. When I first tried to download the TVUplayer I got a message that I needed to first have a BitTorrent client. Obviously that was an error that I did not understand and stupidly passed on. My bad.

Comment

I tried it last night. All I can say is Tokar,

I love you man.

(Isn't Tokar the name of Johnny Drama's Viking Quest character?)
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
          Thanks again for this explaination Tokar. When I first tried to download the TVUplayer I got a message that I needed to first have a BitTorrent client. Obviously that was an error that I did not understand and stupidly passed on. My bad.
          FD,

Got the same impression when I read the message re: the need for a "BitTorrent Client" at Softpedia. But had difficulty downloading the BitTorrent client, so, I just went ahead and DL'd the TVUplayer and...viola, it worked! Unfortunately for me, I'm piggybacking off a neighbor's wireless network and the TVUplayer won't initialize properly, so I may have to break down and get my own broadband access...

Comment

This is awesome. Thanks for pointing out this great program!

Comment

Working...
            X