2:58 PM ET
    ESPN
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Facebook Messenger
    Pinterest
    Email
    print
    Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant is among five people killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, a source confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The crash comes one day after Bryant was passed by Lakers forward LeBron James for third place on the NBA's all-time scoring list. As late as 10:39 p.m. ET on Saturday night, Bryant was active on social media, congratulating Bryant on Twitter during the Lakers 108-91 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

James inscribed his sneakers with "Mamba 4 Life" and "8/24 KB" in gold marker before the game, showing respect for Bryant, an 18-time All-Star with the Lakers who is eligible for the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2021. All week, in the lead-up to the milestone, he was quick to laud Bryant.

"It's another guy that I looked up to when I was in grade school and high school," James said. "Seeing him come straight out of high school, he is someone that I used as inspiration. It was like, wow. Seeing a kid, 17 years old, come into the NBA and trying to make an impact on a franchise, I used it as motivation. He helped me before he even knew of me because of what he was able to do. So, just to be able to, at this point of my career, to share the same jersey that he wore, be with this historical franchise and just represent the purple and gold, it's very humbling and it's dope.

"Kobe's a legend, that's for damn sure."

A 6-foot, 6-inch small forward with the ability to swing up front and play point or shooting guard, Bryant entered the NBA straight out of high school. In 1996, he became the youngest player in NBA history.

He won five NBA titles in his time with the Lakers, as well as two Olympic gold medals playing for the United States. Now fourth on the NBA's all-time scoring list, with 33,643 points, Bryant won two NBA Finals MVP awards and one NBA regular-season MVP nod in 2008.

A native of Philadelphia, Bryant was selected No. 13 overall in 1996 by the Charlotte Hornets before being traded to the Lakers. He wore both No. 8 and 24 with the Lakers, both of which were retired by the franchise.

"I'm happy just to be in any conversation with Kobe Bean Bryant. One of the all-time greatest basketball players to ever play, one of the all-time greatest Lakers," Bryant said Saturday night. "The man got two jerseys hanging up in Staples Center. It's just crazy."

On November 29, 2015, Bryant announced that he intended to retire at the end of the season, which launched a farewell tour for the ages around the NBA. He played in 66 games that season for Los Angeles, averaging 17.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists.

In his final game, on April 13, 2016, he scored 60 points, leading the Lakers past the Utah Jazz 101-96.

Bryant's death was first reported by TMZ.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I went to Villanova with his Mom, Pamela Cox, whose Twin Brother Chubby Cox, who played Hoops for Nova. She married Joe Bryant and have been together all this time. Just a tragic event for his family to endure.
    R.I.P. Kobe.
    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Always tough to see young people (and 41 is young) die unexpectedly. He had a hell of a career that is for sure. In my heart though, I had always wished he went to the Sixers out of school
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Such a tragedy. May Kobe, his daughter, and the other victims rest in peace.

Comment

Sorry, not any respect here for somebody who bought himself out of raping someone.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

It's just plain sad when any young person dies, whether a world famous athlete like Kobe, a young man that holds a special place in our hearts like Fresh, or a really young person that is killed in the service of their country.

Like Nodak, I wished he had signed with the Sixers out of HS. Maybe if Jelly Bean hadn't been traded to San Diego he would have.

May he rest in peace.

Comment

I loved his competitive spirit.

Comment

Working...
              X