Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JIM JOHNSON MUST GO - what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JIM JOHNSON MUST GO - what do you think?

Let's see. I'm at the game last night. Ball on the 20, Carolina with no timeouts, and Steve Smith and Keyshawn split to the left. They are in easy Kasay FG range, but with no timeouts they MUST go to the end zone. Inexplicably, we cover both their WR's in man to man coverage with no one behind them! Then, after the pass interference, we are in a run defense with 7 seconds left and no times outs for an easy TD, with their biggest receiver being guarded by a backup safety. Disgraceful.

A few weeks ago in the Saints game, on 3rd and 1 at the end of the game, where we HAD to have a stop, he had all 3 LB's 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. We should have been selling out to stop the play to try to get the ball back! Let's face it, JJ is getting older, and his mind will get slower, not faster. The defense, every time we scored, let the other team march right down the field.

In the Colts game, it was the most vanilla defense I have ever seen. Everyone knows that movement seems to confuse Manning, yet the Colt offense did whatever they wanted all night.

JJ is the one who wanted these smaller, quicker defensive players that cannot stop the run (McDougle, McCoy, etc.) I'm just curious whether you guys think JJ should be back?

I'm thinking JJ needs to step down. I really appreciate all he has done for the organization but I think either his schemes are outdated or the players are no longer responding to him. Either way - a change is necessary this off-season IMO.

Comment

Yup, he sucks...fire him today.

The defense definitely did not respond last night and have never played well this season...
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I just don't know. I have a hard time believing the JJ suddenly forgot how to coach a defense. Unless he's just been resting on his laurels, and not devising anything new or innovative, and the league has him pretty well mastered now. That's possible.

Honestly, I'd love to know how much say Johnson has in defensive personnel decisions. Are these the players he wants? Or is he fighting a fight with one hand tied around his nuts? You tell me.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I thought that we fired JJ last week. Where were you?
          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

The defense definitely did not respond last night and have never played well this season...
            VFK - you can roll your eyes all you want but you say the defense responded last night.

Carolina averages 309 yards of offense per game which ranks them 19th in the league. They gained 377 on us.

They average 17.8 ppg ranking them 20th in the league and they got 21 against us.

So while they stepped up their run defense last night - it wasn't a stellar performance against a mediocre offense.

Comment

The D showed some signs of life and a little bit of improvement, but anyone who thinks that "we'll be ok there" is smoking some really potent stuff.

JJ needs to go in the off season.
              www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

teams seem to have picked up on his schemes. They seem to know when we will blitz. When we will be in zone, etc.

It may not all be JJ's decision, but I'm starting to question his personnel decisions. I give kudos to sitting McCoy. But why is Dhani still starting? It may be me, but Lajuan Ramsey played better early in the season than Rayburn has. Yet Walker and Patterson seem to play too many snaps. Torrance Daniels has talent and hasn't been given a chance. Why is Roper even on the depth chart?

the biggest fault of the D is that they play one style and one style only. There seems to be no willingness to change based on the abilities of the players on that side of the ball. What they do is what they do. To hell with the shortcomings of talent in making it work

it's become too predictable

Comment

nah....we're much too restless and prone to knee jerk reactions. I really don't think he's got the personnel on the D this year. Considine, Hood, Jones and McDougal are liabilities.

For instance...Hood should have played the body on the TD at the end of the half. Could have tackled the guy short of the end zone, rather than making a half hearted attempt to swat the ball away.

The Eagles getting beat on long plays is not scheme errors, but breakdowns by individual players, who just don't have it. Trotter is half the player he was and the others I mentioned just can't make sure tackles. On Williams two long plays, the tackling was atrocious.

All defenses are predictable at this stage of the season.

I still have more qualms with Reid's offensive calls. And if they would have lost the game on a late TD we'd all be going crazy over Reid's decisions on the Eagles last offensive series, when we had to settle for a FG. Two very curious calls after first and goal on that sequence. Talk about predictable...how about Reid's always running after an incompletion on first down. How many yards did the Eagles gain on 2nd-and-long runs last night? Reid didn't start picking on Carolina's weak secondary until the second half. thankfully he made the adjustment.
                  Sonny J

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc

VFK - you can roll your eyes all you want but you say the defense responded last night.

Carolina averages 309 yards of offense per game which ranks them 19th in the league. They gained 377 on us.

They average 17.8 ppg ranking them 20th in the league and they got 21 against us.

So while they stepped up their run defense last night - it wasn't a stellar performance against a mediocre offense.
                    Steve,

From the level of vitriol and outright calling for his head on a platter and the bashing of the players all last week, there was alot of folks who said JJ was done, the defense does not believe in him, the players suck, the schemes are useless etc. I would say most would have expected the defense to curl up and roll over.

They did not, they played with alot of emotion, heart, character and talent...they got the job done.

They still made plenty of mistakes, still allowed too many big plays IMO and still have a lot of improvement to make and they still have areas whch need more talent IMO, but they never quit and certainly IMO showed they will respond for JJ and believe in his system.

JJ does not suddenly stink nor do most of these players...it is clearly IMO a combination of age finally hitting Trot/Dawk (although Dawk played pretty well last night IMO), some talent-poor areas like outside LB, some under-achieving players, some injuries and some poor scheming/coaching....

When we had everyone performing, we were once again a dominating defense that was killing QB...that was this season! We are not that far away from that IMO, but certainly have taken a wrong turn for whatever reasons...tonight we got closer to being back on track IMO.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc

No No NOOOO, Stevie. The fact that we didn't lose again last night should be enough evidence for you that the D is no longer a weakness, and is no longer worthy of concern. Shame on YOU!!!!!
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I guess we told him, VFK!

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                          I guess we told him, VFK!
                          You got that right, pardner...NTTAWWT...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Honestly, the D still concerned me even last night. Yeah we looked a bit better against the run, but look who we were playing. And they wouldn't even commit to the run, sure-fire evidence that Fox is a moron.

I saw some of the same things I have been seeing. The drives at the end of the half, and end of the game were EERILY familiar. Were they not to you? The only difference is that only ONE of them succeded, while Delhomie bailed us out with an overthrow at the end. They are simply more STUPID than we were. They were assured of atleast taking the game to OT there. I love Jon Fox, the new Barry Switzer.

Comment

JJ doesn't need to go, but I will no longer be crushed if he does go. Sad, but true.

Comment

Working...
                              X