Draft emphasis over the years........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft emphasis over the years........

Andy Reid has drafted 64 players since 1999, here is a position-by-position breakdown of all of the Eagles draft picks in that time ...:
    1. Offensive Line - 15
    2. Wide Receiver - 10
    3t. Running Back - 7
    3t. Linebacker - 7
    5t. Defensive End - 6
    5t. Defensive Tackle - 6
    7. Safety - 5
    8. Cornerback - 4
    9t. Tight End - 3
    9t. Quarterback - 3

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeN ... p?id=66860

FWIW..................

Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Interesting but somewhat desceiving. They lump the entire offensive line together to get 15 but the split out the defensive line, which would total 12. Add they two together an almost half the draft picks Reid has made have been lineman.

Also ,considering Defensive Tackle we have used 3 first round picks on vs Running Back in which 3rd round was the highest pick.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I thought we already had this discussion? Maybe that was on the other board?

Anyway, when you consider the number of actual positions per pick, it's pretty even. A bit heavier on the lines, of course, but you are talking about 5 positions for the OL, and 4 for the DL.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

No. That was here. It's like deja vu all over again.

Maybe MD's memory is starting to go.
          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Eh, he was probably on one of his many vacations. Sorry, retired little bugger!!
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Hey, maybe I was just checking to see who was paying attention?

Comment

Have we really drafted ten wide receivers? Only three of them ever amounted to anything at all, and that's counting Freddie Mitchell. No wonder the Eagles went after Curtis.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
                  Have we really drafted ten wide receivers? Only three of them ever amounted to anything at all, and that's counting Freddie Mitchell. No wonder the Eagles went after Curtis.
                  And Stallworth and TO and Freeman and Thrash and...

As with LB IMO, it is not lack of effort or value placed in WR, but rather poor talent evaluation and/or development at those positions that has hurt the Eagles...
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                    Originally posted by IMK
                    And Stallworth and TO and Freeman and Thrash and...

As with LB IMO, it is not lack of effort or value placed in WR, but rather poor talent evaluation and/or development at those positions that has hurt the Eagles...
                    And would Stallworth and TO or Brown, Avant, Baskett be indicative of the early (ie mostly Modrak) years or of the Heckert/Licht years? I know rhetorical question. The point is while your statement is generally correct it is specifically, for our current purposes, incorrect.

Comment

I assume you are stating we have done better in talent evaluation and development under Heckert/Licht than we did under Modrak...

I agree...the pick of Brown is the best WR so far under Reid IMO...Avant I will need to see more, but I like him so far. Compared with Mitchell, Na Brown, Milons, Scott and the other busts, we have improved...

However, we did draft McMullen under Heckert/Licht if I remember correctly and we need to see if Bloom amounts to anything...getting Baskett in return for McMullen appears to be a coup, but that is a non-draft transaction...

As far as the FA WR acquisitions, I agree totally we have done better with Heckert/Reid compared with previously...TO, Stall and Curtis are very good WR while Freeman, Thrash et al. were average.

-Andy Reid

Comment

"As with LB IMO, it is not lack of effort or value placed in WR, but rather poor talent evaluation and/or development at those positions that has hurt the Eagles... "

And I think I said almost that exact same thing the last time we had the same thread going....... at least we are getting some more diuscussion out of it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                          I assume you are stating we have done better in talent evaluation and development under Heckert/Licht than we did under Modrak...

I agree...the pick of Brown is the best WR so far under Reid IMO...Avant I will need to see more, but I like him so far. Compared with Mitchell, Na Brown, Milons, Scott and the other busts, we have improved...

However, we did draft McMullen under Heckert/Licht if I remember correctly and we need to see if Bloom amounts to anything...getting Baskett in return for McMullen appears to be a coup, but that is a non-draft transaction...

As far as the FA WR acquisitions, I agree totally we have done better with Heckert/Reid compared with previously...TO, Stall and Curtis are very good WR while Freeman, Thrash et al. were average.

Picking up Baskett for McMullen was a coup based on knowledge of Baskett (whom the Eagles showed interest in before the draft). Bloom was drafted as a returner. Any WR performance he brings is a complete bonus. Licht didn't join the team until after the '03 draft which brought us McMullen.

Comment

FWIW: PFT/Rumors sez that Modrak may be on the outs. (MAY!)

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                              "As with LB IMO, it is not lack of effort or value placed in WR, but rather poor talent evaluation and/or development at those positions that has hurt the Eagles... "

And I think I said almost that exact same thing the last time we had the same thread going....... at least we are getting some more diuscussion out of it again.
                              But you have not TM'ed it...my papers were submitted over 2 months ago, but the official word has not come down yet...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X