Would this shock you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would this shock you?

It is a quandry, Look at it like this, you have Howard, Clemons and McDougal, all veteran guys as compared to the rooks,

If you had to pick from one of those would you pick:

1. The guy you just signed that has good recent success in the NFL but seems slow in learning a new system -Clemons
    or.....
    2. The one that has had some success in the NFL but didn't quite live up to your expectations as a disruptive force- Howard
    or.....
    3. The one who is having the best preseason but has had little or no success ever in the NFL but has had a lot of bad luck - McDougal

I think you have to keep clemons, It's whether you think McDougal has finally seen the light, has no physical or mental problems and will finally play up to the potential you drafted him for or whether you think that some how due to scheming, rotation or changing position you think Howard will give you more than he's shown in the past.

You know, actually when I look at it that way it does seem more like Howard would be the odd man out,
    I mean McDougal's had issues to play thru. Howard just is what he is. I think I changed my mind, Howard is gone. LOL ... Who can possibly know?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
      Originally posted by FRESH
      Exactly. SOMEONE has to go. Do you dump McDougle who you have invested a high pick and YEARS into, to finally see him healthy and starting to flash a bit.......just cut bait now?? Really? Who do you have more invested in, him or Clemons? Yeah you'd take a heavy hit on Clemons now, but you've gotten eaten alive with McDougle. Regardless, someone's gotta go. Too many bodies here. It's a fascinating dilemna that we are experiencing and I can honestly say I have no idea what they're gonna do.
      Maybe they keep everybody and make the decision when Abriami is healthy.
      Can't do that--- gotta get to 53 before they will know the answer to that question.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
        Originally posted by FRESH
        Exactly. SOMEONE has to go. Do you dump McDougle who you have invested a high pick and YEARS into, to finally see him healthy and starting to flash a bit.......just cut bait now?? Really? Who do you have more invested in, him or Clemons? Yeah you'd take a heavy hit on Clemons now, but you've gotten eaten alive with McDougle. Regardless, someone's gotta go. Too many bodies here. It's a fascinating dilemna that we are experiencing and I can honestly say I have no idea what they're gonna do.
        Maybe they keep everybody and make the decision when Abriami is healthy.
        Can't do that--- gotta get to 53 before they will know the answer to that question.
        It's not beyond the realm of possibilites MD. If you're loaded at one spot, you gamble at another. Keep only 2TEs. Let's face it, its not like you can't find a Wilson or Schobel bying around if you need one. They might not even be picked up anyway. You could PS Dunlup. If we only carry 2 TEs and 4 RBs it might work.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

If it's a choice between McDougle, Clemons or Howard and one has to go, my guess is Howard. The two issues are the Howard can play LDE RDE or tackle and the second is that he's or backup LS.

Clemons would be the best trade bait. I don't know if we can trade Howard or McDougle.

I still think they keep them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
            Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
            This is all kind of silly. I'll stand up and say I was wrong if it happens, but I would still be shocked if they gave up on Clemons after 3 meaningless preseason games. If that's all it takes to get cut after signing a big contract, they may want to re-evaluate how they do business. They guy couldn't have gone from a good pass-rusher in one year, to not even being able to make the team after just 3 preseason games.
            How silly is it when JJ has basically said at this point that McDougle and Clemons are competing for a spot?
            It still seems silly. I'm not buying it. Sounds like a motivating statement to me. I still say if that's all it takes to get cut is to have Jerome McDougle play better than you in 3 meaningless games, they need to re-evaluate who and how they dole out contracts. I think they find a way to keep both long before they'd ever consider cutting Clemons. Again, how does this preseason completely negate what they saw of him in Oakland last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Green With Envy
              If it's a choice between McDougle, Clemons or Howard and one has to go, my guess is Howard. The two issues are the Howard can play LDE RDE or tackle and the second is that he's or backup LS.

Clemons would be the best trade bait. I don't know if we can trade Howard or McDougle.

I still think they keep them all.
              I agree with this. I could see them dumping Howard before Clemons or McDougle. But I'd bet on all 3 being on the roster over any one of them getting cut. They will just have to squeeze at another position.

Also consider that JJ considers DE to be the 2nd most important position on the defense after CB. I'd think they'd find a way to keep all of them.

Comment

This is all kind of silly. I'll stand up and say I was wrong if it happens, but I would still be shocked if they gave up on Clemons after 3 meaningless preseason games. If that's all it takes to get cut after signing a big contract, they may want to re-evaluate how they do business. They guy couldn't have gone from a good pass-rusher in one year, to not even being able to make the team after just 3 preseason games.
                THANK GOD someone is a voice of reason on this board. I can't believe people are ready to bail on Clemons in favor of JEROME MCDOUGLE over THREE PRESEASON GAMES. Good grief!

Comment

How do we trade an injured player (Clemons)?
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
                    THANK GOD someone is a voice of reason on this board. I can't believe people are ready to bail on Clemons in favor of JEROME MCDOUGLE over THREE PRESEASON GAMES. Good grief!
                    I don't know which guy to keep. But one of them is probably gone.

Clemons has done nothing here. I'd have no problem cutting him in favor of McDougle if McDougle outplays him in training camp and preseason. Otherwise, what's the point in having an open competition? Guys have to believe they can step up and win a job and that it's not a given that the guy who got the big money will play.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
                      Originally posted by IMK
                      I don't know which guy to keep. But one of them is probably gone.

Clemons has done nothing here. I'd have no problem cutting him in favor of McDougle if McDougle outplays him in training camp and preseason. Otherwise, what's the point in having an open competition? Guys have to believe they can step up and win a job and that it's not a given that the guy who got the big money will play.
                      Business always plays a part, no matter what coaches say. I would think that if Clemons got the big bonus he probably doesn't make too much this year so IRing won't cost much. You have to believe he's better than McDougal if they threw cash at him. This whole thing could go a bunch of different ways.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Business always plays a part, no matter what coaches say. I would think that if Clemons got the big bonus he probably doesn't make too much this year so IRing won't cost much. You have to believe he's better than McDougal if they threw cash at him. This whole thing could go a bunch of different ways.
                        Of course it's a business and an organization will lean strongly towards keeping the guy they just threw millions at. Of course.

The coach has to balance this stuff so that his players believe his words. Big Red loves to talk about competition and how they want guys battling for jobs. But if players think the guys with the guaranteed money are guaranteed a job, competition declines.

That's why coaches every now and then have to step up and cut a high-round pick early or a big-money player who is not performing. Helps keep that competitive edge.
                        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Latest from Domo today:

Clemons still out

Much to the chagrin of defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, it appears defensive end Chris Clemons could miss his third straight preseason game Thursday.

Clemons has been on the shelf for nearly 2 weeks with a calf strain. He didn't practice yesterday and wasn't even on the field with the team during their 2-hour workout.

"We want him to be out there," Johnson said before practice. "It is important to Chris. We'll have to see day by day. I don't know how hard he can go, but he needs to get out there and he needs to practice."

Would the Eagles really cut a guy they thought highly enough of to give a $4 million signing bonus just 6 months ago? You wouldn't think so. The thought alone probably gives club president Joe Banner angina. But Johnson clearly is losing patience with Clemons, and the Eagles don't have a lot of flexibility at defensive end as far as the final 53-man roster is concerned.

They currently have seven defensive ends on their roster, but likely will keep no more than six. Starters Trent Cole and Juqua Parker obviously are locks. So is Victor Abiamiri, whose surgically repaired wrist appears to be healing well enough to keep him off injured reserve.

Darren Howard probably will make the team because of his ability to play both end positions as well as move inside in Johnson's nickel package.

Rookie third-round pick Bryan Smith likely will make the final 53-man roster since it would be too risky to put a pick that high on the practice squad.

That leaves Clemons and Jerome McDougle battling for that sixth defensive-end spot. McDougle, the former first-round pick who appeared to have no shot of making the team when training camp opened, has had a strong camp and preseason. Most important, he has stayed healthy, unlike Clemons.

"I'm not going to get into numbers and how many we're going to keep and all that," Johnson said. "It's probably one of the things we're going to have to decide after the game, no question."

Comment

I understand the frustration the staff has with Clemons right now but they'll have to bite the bullet like they have in the past with McDougle & Howard. They'll have to cut (or trade which is preferable) a player they like in order to keep Clemons and they'll have to hope that he comes on as the season goes.

Comment

Working...
                            X