• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw this!

Source: Clowney not fined for hit on Wentz
    Jan
    1/11/2020 8:08:56 AM
    |More
    Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney was not fined for the hit on Carson Wentz that knocked the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback out of Sunday's NFC wild-card game, according to ESPN and multiple reports.

Clowney went in for a hit on Wentz early in the first quarter of the game and made contact with Wentz's helmet and upper back as they slammed into the turf. Wentz left with a head injury a short time later and did not return, playing only eight snaps in Philadelphia's 17-9 loss to visiting Seattle.

Clowney was not penalized for the hit.

"[Wentz] was a runner, and he did not give himself up," referee Shawn Smith said after the game. "We saw incidental helmet contact, and in our judgment, we didn't rule that to be a foul."

Several Eagles were critical of the play. Left tackle Jason Peters confronted Clowney on the field.

"I just told him, 'Man, that's a dirty play,'" Peters said. "And he's like, 'My bad,' and we just kept playing.

"I just kept reminding him, 'Man, stay off my quarterback.'

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Yep a slap in the face of on field justice. And Peters, et al, could do more than say stay off my QB.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

My mom used to say one lies and the other swears to it. Shawn Smith didn't know the rules, A spear is a spear is a spear doesn't matter if the guy gives himself up or not. Doesn't matter ifs a QB, WR, RB, TE O lineman Joe from Wawa or Harry chowing down at Pats steaks. The NFL doesn't fine the CLOWN because it admits that there officials in a playoff game doesn't know the rules. Just as bad they fined the guy from the Texans for the phantom blindside block that wasn't last week.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        My mom used to say one lies and the other swears to it. Shawn Smith didn't know the rules, A spear is a spear is a spear doesn't matter if the guy gives himself up or not. Doesn't matter ifs a QB, WR, RB, TE O lineman Joe from Wawa or Harry chowing down at Pats steaks. The NFL doesn't fine the CLOWN because it admits that there officials in a playoff game doesn't know the rules. Just as bad they fined the guy from the Texans for the phantom blindside block that wasn't last week.
        Exactly!
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

It's this repeated pattern of incompetence by officials and blatant dishonesty by NFL Central in supporting the incompetence that is souring me to the point that I'm close to saying, "Fuck This! I've got better things to do with my time." The general incompetence I refer to in officiating is totally unrelated to race or gender. The overall is almost exclusively that of white males because NFL officials are probably 95% white males.

What I'm going to say next is not politically correct but my consistent support of a socially liberal agenda vis a vis the NFL I think gives me some license. Shawn Smith is not only essentially a rookie referee, he is a black 'rookie referee'. (I know he was promoted to 'referee' in 2018, but this was his first playoff.) I admire the NFL's push for diversity at all levels but turning a blind eye to Smith's inability or unwillingness to know/understand and then implement the rules does not, IMO, serve the interests of seeking greater diversity among officials. It counters them. By specifically endorsing Smith's incompetence in the case of this non call, they are essentially saying, "We won't hold you to high standards because we don't want our minority officials to be cast in bad light." (I consistently support affirmative action in higher education but I do not support ignoring mediocrity when it comes to performance.)

The NFL refused to call attention to Smith's fuck up by fining Clowney on a play where Smith failed twice: 1) not calling the blatant spear of Wentz and then 2) arrogantly defending his failure post game with a lame argument that essentially said Wentz invited the cheap shot and resultant concussion by failing to slide. And here I thought the NFL was all about moving Heaven and Earth to promote greater player safety.

Almost every aspect of this situation is total bullshit and the more I think about it the more pissed off I get.
          Last edited by tinopuno; 01-12-2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I can finally post! My last 4 posts have all disappeared and I pretty much gave up on trying again until the site gets fixed. But I decided to give it one more shot so I could ask this simple question and say goodbye for a while. Can someone explain to me how Clowney is attempting to tackle Wentz in the video below? Clowney’s right arm is down by side and his left arm is bent to brace his fall - neither is in position to grab and wrap up Wentz.

" width="425" height="344">
            " />

He made no effort to engage Wentz other than to lower his helmet to hit him. This is the very definition of spearing and the reason I have refused to watch any more of the playoffs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_t...jpg&name=small" width="425" height="344">https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_t...jpg&name=small" />

Meanwhile this gets a flag and a $28,000 fine? This is absolutely NOT a blindside block - hell when he hits him he is almost looking him in the eye! But the league, in an effort to avoid having the officials look bad again and change the course of the playoffs yet again, decided to try to prop up a bullshit call by fining Ford for a clean play while allowing Clowney to skate on a blatant cheapshot.

I’m pretty much done with the NFL right now. I am no longer willing to spend my time, my money or give them my attention or my passion until they get the officiating to a point of reasonable respectability and the league engages in honest dialog with the fans. This “circle the wagons” attitude to avoid a second playoff embarrassment caused by poor officiating is unacceptable. Until the league fixes this, I’m out.
            Last edited by Jukin; 01-12-2020, 12:30 PM.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

It's obvious that he used the top of his helmet to spear Wentz in the head. Doesn't matter if Wentz was a runner, or not. It should have been flagged, and he should have been fined. Period. Full stop. End of story.

But, he wasn't. Time to move on, and so much for all this ballyhooed player safety shit.

Comment

Yep time to move on and hope Clowney tears an ACL, MCL, Hammy, and Achilles all at once
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  Yep time to move on and hope Clowney tears an ACL, MCL, Hammy, and Achilles all at once
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                  X