No announcement yet.

Feelings for Sunday...what are yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Westbrook and Lito both play, I think we win this one by 10 points. Otherwise, I see a knock down drag out fight for 4 quarters, which I still think/hope we pull off.

Comment

Parcells is one of the absolute best at getting his teams to just hang around and then steal it (see Monday against Eagles last year). That why I hate him so. The man knows how to push the right buttons. I am one just wishing for a similar game plan as last year pound them early and often with Buck, Moats and Westy (if he plays) and the play action them to death later. Frankly I do not care what TO does it is Glenn, Witten and their two backs that frightened me more. So a tough 24-14 score Eagles what I look for.
      I miss Philly!

Comment

Here's what I posted on my EMB blog about Sunday ...

The Game

This football game is going to be won or lost at the line of scrimmage. I cannot put it any more simpler than that. I know it sounds like something Andy Reid would say and you're right. It is something he would say because it reeks or the truth.

Here are the facts;

1. If Donovan McNabb has time to find targets, regardless of who the receivers are, he will complete the passes. Obviously the receivers have to do their part and actually catch the ball (Reggie Brown, LJ Smith - I'm talking to youse guys). But if McNabb isn't getting pressured he will be able to dictate where he wants to go with the ball.

And if nothing is there he will take off and run it. He showed us that on Monday night. Add in the fact that he wants to win this game as bad as any he's ever played and you have him going above and beyond his usual drive to win a ballgame. He always wants to win but this week the intensity ratchets up a few notches.

2. Drew Bledsoe can be a dangerous QB. In order for him to achieve the dangerous level of his game he cannot have defensive players in his pocket. He can deal with pressure from the outside because then he will just step up into the nice clean pocket and deliver the ball.

The key to defeating Bledsoe is to get to his feet up the middle. If he cannot step up he cannot deliver the ball accurately or effectively. It's that simple.

The onus is on the Eagles front four to not only get pressure and continue the pressure but to get after Drew by going straight at him. If he cannot step up he has to start moving laterally and he does not have the speed or mobility to do that.

Bledsoe moving to his right or left and trying to throw on the move is like watching The Animal Planet channel. You've all seen what a wounded zebra does when a lion is stalking it in the African wild. It hobbles and runs for its life until put out of its misery by the lion looking for a tasty snack.

Bledsoe is the tasty snack and the Eagles front four are the lions.

3. I worry more about Terry Glenn than I do Terrell Owens. Why? Because the Eagles have had pretty good success againt Owens in the past. And that was prior to him playing in Philadelphia where the Eagles became more familiar with him. Owens has always played very well in revenge games however. The emotions will be running high. Who will use the emotion as fuel to win and who will let the emotion sidetrack them from getting the job done? That's what we'll have to wait and see.

Glenn, unlike Owens, has a history with Bledsoe. They know each other as well as a married couple knows each other. Glenn is quietly having a solid season. He is the wide receiver the Eagles must concern themselves with.

That is another reason why the front four of the Eagles defense MUST be able to get pressure on Bledsoe. The Eagles cannot afford to blitz too often. They will have to lay back in coverage for the most part. If the defensive line is not getting to Bledsoe and Johnson is forced to bring blitzers more than he wants - it could get ugly.

4. The Eagles hold a distinct advantage over the Cowboys when it comes to the defensive line vs. the offensive line.

Flozell Adams vs. Trent Cole/Juqua Thomas - Adams was a top notch LT in this league until he blew out his ACL last season. That has affected his game a lot. Parcells was very concerned about him in the pre-season. He will be facing Trent Cole. Cole's game is mostly based on speed. Flozell is no longer The Hotel so he is vulnerable to speed rushers. If he cannot get inside Trent's body and grasp him this match-up goes squarely to Cole.

Kyle Kosier vs. Darwin Walker/Brodrick Bunkley - Kosier is a journeyman type lineman who was acquired from Detroit to replace Larry Allen. He's not terrible but he's no Larry allen obviously. He is prone to getting bull rushed. This showed when the Jacksonville DTs wete able to get pressure by simply overpowering him. He will be facing the Eagles two strongest defensive lineman in Darwin Walker and Brodrick Bunkley. I believe these two guys will be able to work Kosier enough to get at Bledsoe's feet and not allow him to have a pocket to step up into.

Marco Rivera vs. Mike Patterson/LaJuan Ramsey - Rivera is another guy who is not quite what he used to be. His back problems has caused some decline in his game. He'll draw a guy in Patterson who uses his leverage well and is very fast off the ball. I like Patterson in this matchup a lot. Ramsey is coming on very, very well too.

Marc Colombo vs. Darren Howard/Jerome McDougle - And the award for biggest mis-match of the day goes to (drumroll.....) Darren Howard going up against Marc Colombo!

Anyone who has seen Colombo play knows that he is going to require help here. He is not a very good tackle and has had a very serious knee injury in the past. Howard should thrive in this matchup. I am expecting big things from Howard on Sunday.

5. How much of Sean Payton's forumla for success will the Cowboys use on Sunday? As you all know - Sean Payton is now the head coach of the Saints. But he used to be the offensive coordinator for the Cowboys and Giants. And when he was with those teams he used to use max-protect a lot. He would keep a lot of blockers in and it always seemed to stifle the Eagles pass rush.

Payton is gone now but the Cowboys still run the majority of their offense out of the double tight end set. They use Jason Witten to get down the field and they use rookie Anthony Fasano to block and be a safety valve.

If the Cowboys employ the max-protect the Eagles must be able to beat it and adjust to it. I anticipate them using it quite often. The silver lining here is that might force Jason Witten into more blocking and less receiving. That is a good thing.

Like I said - this game is going to be won or lost at the line of scrimmage. Give McNabb time and he'll use whoever he has at his disposal to throw the ball to. Get after Bledsoe up the middle and he will be extremely ineffective. It really is as simple as that.

Obviously the the Eagles also must protect the ball much better (attention Correll Buckhalter, please pick up the white courtesy phone) and they also much be able to make the most of their trips into the red zone - two things they did not do well against Green Bay.

The atmopshere will be crazy on Sunday and I can't wait to watch this game. I ask all of ou who will be attending the game to be loud and be crazy. I feel pretty good about this game. I think we will see the Eagles win this one.

Comment

Great analysis PP54!
          "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

starting fast is not a concern of mine. Playing 60 minutes is. This is a Dallas team that came to Philly last year and were losing 17-7 with only 4 minutes left. They won.

three things concern me coming into this game

1. Injuries on offense to West and Donte

2. Our depleted secondary and loss of Kearse

3. How will we react to finally playing a good defense?

with that said I have almost prepared myself mentally that this could be a loss. Can the Eagles overcome these issues and beat a healthy Cowgirl team? Oh hell yeah. Will it be as easy as Houston, San Fran and GBY? Oh hell no. This is going to be one tough game and we are going to have to do it without a full round in the gun

16-10 if we win

24-16 if we lose

Comment

As I posted in a different thread, I think alot of the matchups in this game favor Dallas. If we were completely healthy, I would lean towards Philly. I just think that this is one of those games where we are a little outmanned ( defensively). If our defense can just keep us in the ball game till the end, I think DMAC will find a way to win. Otherwise I see Dallas winning by 12-14 points. I just don't see that we have the resources to stop these receivers ( Glenn, T O and Whitten). I guess the X-factor is Bledsoe. If we don't rattle him, i'm thinking LONG DAY!!!

Comment

Maybe it's a case of giving opposition too much credit, but I just don't like this matchup for us given the current injury situation. I am assuming that Hood and Stallworth are out and that Lito and Westy are in. Our DL has to have a huge game for us to win b/c I simply don't think the secondary can hold up with a gimpy Lito and a healthy Hanson. If we harrass Bledsoe for 60 minutes, then maybe, but I have a tough time seeing that. Dallas D is very solid, so we won't be able to play keep-away. Crowd emotion will be a positive if we get off to a good start, but it may well be a negative if we don't. Hope to be wrong.
                Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

IMO, the interior pressure that the Eagles DL is able to generate without reliance on blitzing is the key. If the inside rush can get to/hurry Bledsoe, then the pressure is decreased somewhat on the corners and ends. 2 TE-sets, screen passes to the RBs I expect to see a lot of.

Comment

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports ... 701631.htm

Headgames from Bledsoe?

Comment

"When I've got the weapons that I have right now, yeah, yeah, go ahead, come after me as much as you want. Because I'm gonna get the ball out of my hands into the hands of one of these guys that can score from anywhere on the field," said Bledsoe, who has a strong wide receiving tandem in No. 1 Terry Glenn and No. 2 Owens, plus tight end Jason Witten.
                      I'm sure talk like that just tickles Terrell silly.
                      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

My guess is they play a lot of 2 deep zones because of Glenn, and TO. Without healthy CB's they have to eliminate the big play. They also need a major pass rush without blitzing if possible to make Bledsoe throw without being set. I'd also have the CB's bumping at the line and double both primary WR's. Bumping takes away the short stuff quickly, and the 2 deep keeps a S over the top and will allow then to jump the short stuff if they get a shot and Bledsoe makes a bad pass. I'd also try and funnel stuff into the middle where any pass thrown up would be into the teeth of a two deep. If JJ would of done this vs the Gints the game might of been a little different. The key is the Eagles front four though. No worries about the Boys running game.

The Eagles need to score 20 to win this game, and I think they will do just that.
                        Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

everyone makes good points here...but at age 40 or so I stopped predicting games. just psyched for it. Over 50 years of this... i always worry. Just my nature. I have a feeling that the crowd will impel a defensive struggle if Stallworth and Westbrook are out. Just a feeling. If these games weren't so unpredictable, they wouldn't attract our addictive attentions.

go eagles
                          Sonny J

Comment

My feelings?

Enough of the freakshow...

Let's play some FOOTBALL!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X