Joe Douglas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Douglas

Lots of people thought he was the greatest of NFL minds. If so this should be encouraging

One of the deepest rosters in football

Kevin Clark | The Ringer

Kevin Clark of The Ringer outlined some of the biggest storylines to follow in the NFL this season, and the Eagles are certainly one of them. There's also an excellent quote from former Eagles exec and current Jets GM Joe Douglas.
    The Eagles stack up.
    When Eagles executive Joe Douglas took the Jets general managing job this summer, he told Sports Illustrated that it was a tougher decision to leave the Eagles this year because, well, the Eagles are going to be awesome this year. “I really feel like that franchise, that football team, they’re firing on all cylinders,” Douglas said. “It’s as deep of a team as I’ve ever seen there. And that’s including the ’17 team.”
    I’ve been around the Eagles a lot over the past few years, and they are among the smartest organizations in sports. Their roster is always well managed, and this offseason they plugged some of the holes they had: They brought in a handful of solid veterans on dirt-cheap deals: Vinny Curry, Andrew Sendejo, and Jordan Howard among them. They signed mid-priced veterans who could become bargains: Ronald Darby re-signed for $6.5 million, Malik Jackson is getting just $10 million per year and DeSean Jackson is on a three-year, $28 million deal. Having a bunch of great contracts doesn’t mean you are going to win the Super Bowl, but only teams with a bunch of great contracts win the Super Bowl. The Eagles, like the Patriots (and, lately, the Rams), have cornered the market on great contracts. No Eagle accounts for more than 7.4 percent of the salary cap—that’s Alshon Jeffery. There’s a healthy mix of young and veteran talent. The Eagles built one of the deepest rosters in football. [theringer.com]
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

I don’t think the “dirt cheap deals” comment will go over well with these guys

Comment

they have become a destination team. If they keep winning and remain a "family" they should keep getting those veteran cheap contracts.
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
        I don’t think the “dirt cheap deals” comment will go over well with these guys
        I cringed when I read that too WC. Team friendly would have been much better choice of words! I hope that the Philly media plays that part up. I didn't think that any of those contracts were cheap.
        Last edited by Eagle60; 07-28-2019, 01:32 PM.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Cheap is relative. They weren't cheap but they could have been a hell of a lot worse. Of course different people are motivated by different things. One guy says I want every penny I can get while another says pay me fairly and put me on a winning team I am happy.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Working...
          X