X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wentz Tore More Than ACL

Carson Wentz's injury was worse than we thought

By Dave Zangaro | NBC Sports Philadelphia January 26, 2018 2:25 PM

It turns out, Carson Wentz damaged more than just his ACL in December, but the Eagles' franchise quarterback still hopes to be ready for the 2018 season opener.
    His goal hasn't changed.
    "My goal is to be ready for Week 1," Wentz said. "I'm going to push and do everything I can to be ready. And I'm very confident in that."
    Wentz on Friday afternoon, speaking to reporters for the first time since the injury on Dec. 10, revealed that he tore his left LCL in addition to his ACL.
    He didn't want to speculate about the possibility of being ready for training camp or OTAs. In general, he was hesitant to talk about a timetable in his recovery because of the fluidity of the situation but said the additional injury shouldn't really affect his recovery or progression.
    "I don't think so," Wentz said by his locker on Friday afternoon. "I think, again, I'm very confident in talking with trainers and everything that the rehab schedule doesn't change a whole lot. It's just something we have to be careful with.
    "I'm feeling confident with it and I said it in the video I posted right after the injury. I 100 percent believe I'll be back better than ever, stronger than ever, with no looking back."
    Wentz said he honestly didn't know whether the injury came before or after contact during that goal line play against the Rams back in early December, but knew immediately that something wasn't right.
    After the injury ended his season, Wentz admitted he had to fight off feelings of self-pity. He was able to do that thanks to support from his family, friends, teammates and fans. He has also relied heavily on his Christian faith over the last month and a half.
    But it's still not easy to go from MVP candidate to spectator.
    "Every time the offense comes on the field on Sunday, it's tough," Wentz said. "It hits me a little bit. But then I'm in it. I love these guys and I'm a part of this team as much as anybody else. I get involved in the game and that kind of all goes away. Without a doubt, as humans, it just feels ... it's tough. It's tough to not be out there, but I love watching these guys and I couldn't be happier."
    Since the injury, Wentz has tried to be around the team as much as possible. He still attends quarterback meetings and watches film with Nick Foles and backup quarterback Nate Sudfeld. He said he's just trying to support both of them the same way they did for him before the injury.
    Wentz said he's been most impressed with the way Foles has just stepped in following his injury after having not had many practice reps or practice time during the summer. The two quarterbacks — three, including Sudfeld — have grown extremely close this year and Wentz is very happy to see Foles find success.
    Since he's no longer the starter, Wentz is a little less vocal than before, but he still tries to offer his opinion when he thinks it'll help. He's finally been allowed back on the sideline for games in the playoffs.
    "It was great," Wentz said about being back on the field. "It was driving me crazy to not be on the sideline. Just to be around the guys. Just to be there, honestly. Being upstairs watching is just not the same."
    Earlier this week, tight end Zach Ertz said the expectation for the organization is that this Super Bowl isn't going to be a one-time thing. The Eagles expect to be back in this game for years to come. Wentz agreed.
    "Without a doubt," he said. "I think we have the culture around here. And I've said it since I got here: We have something special here."
    Wentz said he honestly hasn't thought about whether or not he'll wear a brace on his left knee when he eventually returns to game action, but he said definitively he won't change his playing style after the injury. When asked, he offered a flat, "no."
    Why not?
    "Because I am who I am," Wentz said. "Injuries happen. Injuries aren't going to change me."
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Hmmmm, all the more reason to maybe keep Nick for at least 1 more!

Comment

There is almost always LCL damage when and Acl tears. No surprise and it’s not going to change his outcome if coming back
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Certainly Doug & Co have absolutely no care about my opinion but I'm still a little concerned about him being on the sideline. He could get run over like the fat guy sound man did about a month ago.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I always wondered why they said that he hurt it before he got hit. You could see his leg getting hit from two sides when he was in the endzone. That fucking knee looked destroyed to me. There is no way in hell that he is going to be the same guy by September if ever. Having torn my ACL and medial collateral ligaments I know exactly what's going on. Of course that was 30 years ago and I'm on my second replacement knee and I wasn't a world class athlete but I was pretty damned good. Guaranteed there was cartilage damage too. This is awful news and I think the whole thing is being downplayed. Now is not to be the time to be talking about it so that's all I'm going to say.
          Last edited by Eagle60; 01-26-2018, 10:42 PM.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

No disrespect 60 but 30 years ago Acl injuries were almost career ending. Now players almost always come back. Have to love modern medicine. Wentz will be just fine and fine for the start of the year. It will take some time though for him to,trust it. That is they key. Medically he will be fine
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Agree. Physically knees are fine after rehab. It is the trust factor that takes time. We've all seen players who aren't back to where they were until two years even though they are on the field and physically fit.
              I'm not concerned at this point. Talk to me six or seven months from now and I might be.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                No disrespect 60 but 30 years ago Acl injuries were almost career ending. Now players almost always come back. Have to love modern medicine. Wentz will be just fine and fine for the start of the year. It will take some time though for him to,trust it. That is they key. Medically he will be fine
                Yeah I know taz. Knees are really tricky though. I know that he'll play again and play well but I don't think that he's going to be able to do those Houdini acts again as well. I really think that it's a stretch that he's ready for September. Another thing that works against him is that lanky body. That's tough on the knees with those long legs. We can just hope for the best there but it's going to be hard to part with Nick. Of course if he shits the bed Sunday he'll be run out of town anyway.

Comment

Nick has another year on his contract. I think we need to bring him back unless someone offers us something crazy. Sudfeld might look good in practice but hasn’t done anything in a real game yet.
                  Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Having spoken with my ortho I agree with 60 to some extent. Was told that risk of re-injury is higher and that you lose some mobility - the new ligament will not have nerve connections. Also, arthritis starts developing quickly in a reconstructed knee. All this said, Wentz may improve as a QB overall - he was only a second year player this year!
                    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                      Nick has another year on his contract. I think we need to bring him back unless someone offers us something crazy. Sudfeld might look good in practice but hasn’t done anything in a real game yet.
                      Our schedule is ridiculous next year anyway. If we get a good deal for Nick we may have no choice no matter what is going on with Wentz. It will probably happen with Dealing Howie anyway.

Comment

If we win next week we owe it to Foles to let him pick where he wants to go from any offers we get. We also owe it to him to have the option to stay. The guy has stepped up in a way none of us expected. If he brings a trophy home from Minny he can choose anything he wants for next year. Moving him for the best deal without consulting him first would be a classless, asshole move and that is not how this organization is built.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                          If we win next week we owe it to Foles to let him pick where he wants to go from any offers we get. We also owe it to him to have the option to stay. The guy has stepped up in a way none of us expected. If he brings a trophy home from Minny he can choose anything he wants for next year. Moving him for the best deal without consulting him first would be a classless, asshole move and that is not how this organization is built.
                          If we win Luri should make him his partner.

Comment

Do you really think Foles wants to go to another team that doesn’t fit? I think he’d be fine with staying one more year, knowing that he might be needed to start the season but will give way to Wentz when he’s ready.
                            Nick loves it here.
                            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                              Do you really think Foles wants to go to another team that doesn’t fit? I think he’d be fine with staying one more year, knowing that he might be needed to start the season but will give way to Wentz when he’s ready.
                              Nick loves it here.
                              I know Nick thought about walking away and money is not a problem but we are talking about 7 friekin million dollars here. Warren Buffet wouldn't even throw that away!!

Comment

Working...
                              X