No announcement yet.

Chaney back to MLB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The coaches wanted to give Matthews every chance to grow into the job, but the truth is the rookie was getting worse instead of better. If he has good football instincts, he didn’t show them. If he has good speed, he didn’t show that either. And at 6-1, 232 pounds, he wasn’t physical enough to shed blockers and get to the football."

So, instead of taking him off the field, they are just shifting him to another position!!!
    Doesn't make much sense.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...lks-lb-shuffle

Juan Castillo Talks LB Shuffle

The Eagles decided to make some changes in their LB corps this week. There are of course no personnel changes, just where guys stand before the ball is snapped. Should make a big impact...

I kid, a little, and Juan explains the reasoning behind it. A little...
      "I think what it is, is what you're trying to do that week with that spot. Because you know what, you can have in coverage, you can have the SAM linebacker be a guy that plays like the strong safety, in a certain coverage. All of the sudden, in another coverage, you can have that SAM linebacker just being the curl guy, the hook guy. It just depends what kind of coverages you're doing. It depends, I don't want to get into a game plan type deal, but it kind of depends on what you're going to do with the coverages on which one needs to do this, or which one needs to do that. But we feel that Jamar is a very good football player, and he can fit in any of those positions."
      He must have repeated the phrase "gap responsibility" 10 times. Of course he's right, that is the problem, I'm just not sure whether having the same guys cover different gaps will make that much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post

So, instead of taking him off the field, they are just shifting him to another position!!!
        Doesn't make much sense.

Maybe it makes sense if you are one stubborn SOB who reached for Mathews in the 4th round and you're not yet ready to admit to yourself that he blows.

Comment

There's an article I'm about to post about how the Eagles have a Top 5 DL right now. And we all know about the depth at DB of course. Just how horrifically bad have those other 5 positions been if they have the NFL's best at the other 6?!?! That's a rhetorical quesiton, obviously, but wow.

Comment

PFW's take. Pretty much in line with the other views: 'Bout time!

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...les-lb-changes

"... The team has shifted Jamar Chaney from the strong side to the middle; rookie Casey Matthews goes from the middle to the weak side; and Moise Fokou slides back to the strong side from the weak.
            Confused? Don't be — this is where many thought these players would line up originally...."
            "... The changes that were made in July and August surprised people because it changed three spots to make way for Matthews inside. ..."
            Says that Matthews was handed the starting job "due to his maturity". But what he struggles with is getting off of blocks. One scout says he had a 6th Rd grade on him for just that reason. Chaney fared much better at MLB last year, and thus the belief was that he'd get assigned the MLB spot this year.
            Last edited by ThoughtProcess; 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

And now.....Mathews stinks up a whole other position. Nice play on that first Bradshaw TD, numnuts.

Unless the Eagles make him some sort of pet and protect him, Mathews is out of the league within 4 years. My prediction.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I'm hoping those 4 years aren't here

Comment

If those 4 years are here, I hope he is on the pine for the rest of the games.

Comment

My point is, not only is he not fit to be our starting MLB, he is not fit to be an NFL LB, period. Just don't have it. Quinton Caver part two.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

One of teh things that keeps running through my head it Tulloch. he played behind a line like this last year and excelled. We could have had him to solidify things. Just scratching my head.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
                        One of teh things that keeps running through my head it Tulloch. he played behind a line like this last year and excelled. We could have had him to solidify things. Just scratching my head.

The decision to pass on Tulloch is right up there with the decision to hire Castillo as the DC on my list of head-scratching offseason moves.
                        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Agreed. You have a skilled player with success in a system that we don't bring in and a QB that sucks up the field in VY that we do. A LB corp that has been taught the fundamentals of fallin on their ass when blocked by a D coordinator. Show me a stron defense that does not have a single solid LB. I'm not sure any of these guys would be starting on any other team. Hell, Indy's D even showed some heart last night.

Comment

I was watching Oregon Saturday night and it was just like watching the Eagles. All kinds of speed running helter-skelter all over the place. Too bad we don't play in the Pac 10.
                            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Eagle60... EXACTLY RIGHT. We are built like a college team. We even run the spread like a college team. The problem is, outside of last year with Auburn, spread teams don't even win titles in college. Eventually you have to line up and be tough and we have never done that under Reid.
                              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X