No announcement yet.

Rumor circulating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we land Deion Branch, i'm gonna run naked... through my apt.

Comment

Well, you guys can enjoy, but personally I think you're looking in between wayyyyyy to many lines and grasping at things that aren't there or are there only to illicit reactions.

I try to approach it logically-- and IMO, I can't see the Eagles giving up a #1 and Wayne type money for a system type player when
      nobody knows how he will play in another system.

Just my

Comment

no doubt in my mind the Eagles will "kick the tires" and see what things look like. They played with the idea of going after Moulds. They went after Walker. I don't thnik they went after Lelie simply because he doesn't have #1 talent that is head and shoulders better than what we have.

Branch...he's a 1A or #2 receiver. He and Brown (and Baskett and Avant) could be a solid core for the next 5 years. You can't pass on that.
        The Shack - Santa Monica, CA - LA's Home for Philadelphia Eagles Football

Comment

how can anyone have any faith in spadaro - he said that freddie mitchell sucks!
          Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

trades usually come out of the blue. like the Moyer trade to the Phillies. to much banter on this one

Comment

MD, I pretty much agree with your 2 cents, but how do you know that the Eagles regard Branch as nothing more than a system WR?? They could be looking at all the film, and drawing a totally different conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                Well, you guys can enjoy, but personally I think you're looking in between wayyyyyy to many lines and grasping at things that aren't there or are there only to illicit reactions.

I try to approach it logically-- and IMO, I can't see the Eagles giving up a #1 and Wayne type money for a system type player when

Just my

i agree about the No. 1. that's a tough call.

the money i no longer care about because of the mushrooming cap.

with spads, i'm just saying there are times he is trying to tell us something elliptically that he can't just come out and spell out. if spads has been touting the line that it would be hard to come in this late in the game because of the system, yada, yada, yada, and then suddenly turns around and suggests they give up a No. 1 for branch -- then he's shifting gears for a reason, IMO.

the reason is probably that he's heard the Eagles are working on something. he doesn't want to look like an idiot if they trade for branch while he's pouring cold water on a potential deal.
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

PP, I'm not so sure what Spads "knows" and what he doesn't -- all I know is that at times he is scoofed at here and other times lauded for what he knows -- can't have it both ways--- thus my comments.

Trust me, I know what Spads is and does and how he earns his living.
                  I know - I was just saying that he really does have a good pulse on what is going on. I've asked him things several times thinking I had the Eagles thoughts pegged on a player or situation only to find out they were thinking the exact opposite of what I thought.

So he'll trot out something that will make us all go "what?!?!" when in fact its the exact opposite. And I'll ask him up at Lehigh about something from the previous year and it'll shock me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose

Just my

i agree about the No. 1. that's a tough call.

the money i no longer care about because of the mushrooming cap.

with spads, i'm just saying there are times he is trying to tell us something elliptically that he can't just come out and spell out. if spads has been touting the line that it would be hard to come in this late in the game because of the system, yada, yada, yada, and then suddenly turns around and suggests they give up a No. 1 for branch -- then he's shifting gears for a reason, IMO.

the reason is probably that he's heard the Eagles are working on something. he doesn't want to look like an idiot if they trade for branch while he's pouring cold water on a potential deal.
                    He's definitley a guy who you have to read between the lines on (Spads). He'll put something out there where you have to get all Sherlock'd up to figure it out. He did it back when they were about to trade He Flag Me to Green Bay.

One thing about Branch though - I wonder if he'll really take Wayne money. I mean, is that a hard-line stance on his part or does he see greener pastures and is willing to come off of that?

Has the blood gotten so bad between him and the Pats that he will walk for let's say - 5yrs $25M with $10M guaranteed? - I dunno. But it's something worth thinking about.

And then are the Pats going to take a hardline stance on asking for a #1 when they need help now with depth? Will they risk seeing him walk after this year and getting nothing? They could hit him with the franchise tag but that only makes it worse - as we know all too well with the TRotter and Simon situations.

Comment

Deion Branch is not coming to Philly.

First of all, he is asking for Reggie Wayne dollars, which is about $40 million over 6 years. The Eagles are not going to pay that much. Branch is good, but he isn't that good.

Second, the Pats are not going to give him away. The Eagles are not going to part with a #1. No way.

Third, I think they probably now have a "hands off" policy on bringing in players who are dissatisfied with their existing contracts. They didn't bring Lelie in for talks, they won't bring Branch in either.

Fourth, I think they are satisfied with the receiver corps - even without Pinkston. They've done it before with a weak group of receivers. They can do it again.
                      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                        MD, I pretty much agree with your 2 cents, but how do you know that the Eagles regard Branch as nothing more than a system WR?? They could be looking at all the film, and drawing a totally different conclusion.
                        I don't know that they aren't -- but in looking at his stats and the Patriots stats and Gmae breaking TO type stats-- it raises the question -- is it Troy or is it the system?

I also know how they feel about #1 picks... hell I think if they wanted to go that high they would have gone higher to get Walker, No?

Again I could be all wet here,, but my gut sez that 1. Branch will be back in NE as this is just a market value experiment. 2. The Eagles will not give up a number 1 AND pay him Wayne type money 3. That many people will look at Branch as a very good WR but not a top tier game breaking #1 WR and pay that price. And that much, or at least some, of his value comes from the system and Brady's accuracy.

Comment

Bowen weighs in....

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15378688.htm

Birds might stand pat on BranchBy LES BOWEN
                          [email protected]
                          THE EAGLES know they're counting on some things they can't really be sure of getting from their wide receivers: Todd Pinkston being healthy and productive, Reggie Brown blossoming, Hank Baskett being not only for real but ready to contribute solidly as a rookie.

That might mean a move for a wideout before the Sept. 10 season opener - particularly if Pinkston can't provide any better reassurance in practice this week than he supplied in catching one pass for 4 yards Friday night against the Steelers.

Getting Deion Branch still looks like a longshot, though.

Sources close to the situation say the Eagles like Branch, 27, who has been given until Friday to seek a trade acceptable to the New England Patriots, but they don't consider him one of the league's top receivers. Those sources say the Eagles would be unlikely to offer Branch more than the $18.75 million over 3 years that reportedly was New England's latest bid. But New England was insisting on Branch playing the final year of his current contract, this season, at the scheduled $1.045 million figure. The new deal wouldn't kick in until next year. It's possible the Eagles would be amenable to a different structure.

Even if a contract agreement was possible, there would be the matter of what the Patriots would want in a trade, if they are serious about trading him. The Eagles, like many NFL observers, assume the Pats' main motivation in giving Branch permission to seek a trade was to convince him that no one out there wants to sign him to a contract like the 6 years at $43 million the Colts gave Reggie Wayne. But there is substantial bad blood between New England management and Branch, who is holding out of training camp. The Eagles know from their own experience that once a player is alienated, even if the market doesn't provide what he's looking for, he doesn't necessarily put things back together with his current team. At some point, Branch might just prefer to move along.

Nobody is going to give the Patriots a first-round draft pick for Branch, who is not viewed as a game-breaker, despite his 78 catches last season and his Super Bowl XXXIX MVP award. A second- or third-round pick is more likely. Even if the Birds were willing to go that far, as Donovan McNabb noted a couple of weeks ago, you don't just snap your fingers and pick up this offense. It's very late to integrate a wideout into the attack, especially a starter.

The bottom line might be, if it starts to look as if Branch really will be traded, the Eagles certainly will want to kick the tires and go for a test drive. Nothing better is likely to appear on the market. But they don't seem to be breathless with anticipation, and fans probably shouldn't be, either.

Comment

No way do we meet both Branch's demands and the Pats' demands. I just can't fathom that.

Plus, it's awfully late in the game for a guy to come in and contribute. First, is he in game shape? Second, can he develop chemistry with Donovan or even learn the plays?

Those are big questions that would limit the FO's willingness to pony up the money and the picks.

Comment

EB from you rpost--- "Sources close to the situation say the Eagles like Branch, 27, who has been given until Friday to seek a trade acceptable to the New England Patriots, but they don't consider him one of the league's top receivers. "

So maybe I do know that they think he is more a system guy huh? LOL!!!:

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                                Bowen weighs in....

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15378688.htm

Birds might stand pat on BranchBy LES BOWEN
                                [email protected]
                                THE EAGLES know they're counting on some things they can't really be sure of getting from their wide receivers: Todd Pinkston being healthy and productive, Reggie Brown blossoming, Hank Baskett being not only for real but ready to contribute solidly as a rookie.

That might mean a move for a wideout before the Sept. 10 season opener - particularly if Pinkston can't provide any better reassurance in practice this week than he supplied in catching one pass for 4 yards Friday night against the Steelers.

Getting Deion Branch still looks like a longshot, though.

Sources close to the situation say the Eagles like Branch, 27, who has been given until Friday to seek a trade acceptable to the New England Patriots, but they don't consider him one of the league's top receivers. Those sources say the Eagles would be unlikely to offer Branch more than the $18.75 million over 3 years that reportedly was New England's latest bid. But New England was insisting on Branch playing the final year of his current contract, this season, at the scheduled $1.045 million figure. The new deal wouldn't kick in until next year. It's possible the Eagles would be amenable to a different structure.

Even if a contract agreement was possible, there would be the matter of what the Patriots would want in a trade, if they are serious about trading him. The Eagles, like many NFL observers, assume the Pats' main motivation in giving Branch permission to seek a trade was to convince him that no one out there wants to sign him to a contract like the 6 years at $43 million the Colts gave Reggie Wayne. But there is substantial bad blood between New England management and Branch, who is holding out of training camp. The Eagles know from their own experience that once a player is alienated, even if the market doesn't provide what he's looking for, he doesn't necessarily put things back together with his current team. At some point, Branch might just prefer to move along.

Nobody is going to give the Patriots a first-round draft pick for Branch, who is not viewed as a game-breaker, despite his 78 catches last season and his Super Bowl XXXIX MVP award. A second- or third-round pick is more likely. Even if the Birds were willing to go that far, as Donovan McNabb noted a couple of weeks ago, you don't just snap your fingers and pick up this offense. It's very late to integrate a wideout into the attack, especially a starter.

The bottom line might be, if it starts to look as if Branch really will be traded, the Eagles certainly will want to kick the tires and go for a test drive. Nothing better is likely to appear on the market. But they don't seem to be breathless with anticipation, and fans probably shouldn't be, either.

Bowen wrote this last night, for a story published this morning. the situation could be totally different now.
                                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                                X